Physical problems related to very straight rear legs

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » April 10th, 2006, 11:36 am

Ruby is very straight in her back end, and her top line runs uphill.

What are physical problems that are related to a straight back end? What exercise should I do to help offset those problems?

She is going to have her teeth cleaned this week, should I have her x-rayed to check on her hips? How much does a straight back end contribute to hip problems?

Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » April 10th, 2006, 12:10 pm

I think swimming is always great low-impact, high muscle building exercise to do? I know it is mentioned when recuperating a dog from ACL surgery, or other injuries that could be re-injured by typical exercise.
Does she like to swim? Do you have somewhere nearby?

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » April 10th, 2006, 12:18 pm

She hates swimming. I would have to throw her in to make her do it.

She did jump in out of the boat one time because my sister took her out fishing. She is fine when she goes away from me, but if she sees me on the return she realizes she is not with me and freaks.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pocketpit » April 10th, 2006, 2:19 pm

ACL injuries are very common with straight stifled dogs. Avoiding exercise where she has to do sudden stops and quick turns would be best to help prevent tears to the ACLs. You've already done the first recommend bit, which is to keep your dog at a proper weight :)
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby turtle » April 11th, 2006, 2:16 am

pocketpit wrote:ACL injuries are very common with straight stifled dogs. Avoiding exercise where she has to do sudden stops and quick turns would be best to help prevent tears to the ACLs. You've already done the first recommend bit, which is to keep your dog at a proper weight :)

Yep, that's exactly what I was told too. My dog is also too straight in her rear legs and I worry about the risk of a torn ACL.

Here's an old pic of Fremiet when she was about 10 months old which shows how straight her rear is:

And here's a pic of her at about 2 years old, she's filled out but is still sooo straight in the stifles:

I do keep her lean and exercised, I think that helps a lot. Too much weight puts a strain on the whole bosy, not just the joints and hips.

If I am going to let her run hard and chase her flirt pole, I make sure to warm her up first. Usually we take an hour walk before I play with the flirt pole, but one probably does not need to do that much, just a minor warm up of some sort so she is more limber and less at risk of hurting herself.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby a-bull » April 12th, 2006, 7:51 am

My guy has the same problem.

My first dog had it, too, and as he aged he developed a wicked swayback. :? Eventually, (at around age 14), his hind legs became weak and he would fall. Didn't stop him, though, but he was a hard one to get near water---and I agree that swimming is probably one of the best, low impact exercises you could do.

I know very little about genetics, but I think it's a genetic defect, so I'm actually not sure how much you can change, other than to strenghten the area to try to prevent injury or deterioration.

Look forward to hearing ideas/suggestions! :)
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby rockermom » April 12th, 2006, 8:41 am

Im not sure what you all mean about straight legs? What is normal and what is abnormal?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 12th, 2006, 9:30 am

a-bull wrote:My guy has the same problem.

My first dog had it, too, and as he aged he developed a wicked swayback. :? Eventually, (at around age 14), his hind legs became weak and he would fall. Didn't stop him, though, but he was a hard one to get near water---and I agree that swimming is probably one of the best, low impact exercises you could do.

I know very little about genetics, but I think it's a genetic defect, so I'm actually not sure how much you can change, other than to strenghten the area to try to prevent injury or deterioration.

That sounds like other genetic problems more so were the issue maybe arthritis HD or degenerative disc troubles were at play as well and not just straight stiffles
Last edited by Patch O' Pits on April 12th, 2006, 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 12th, 2006, 9:32 am

houlabulla? wrote:Im not sure what you all mean about straight legs? What is normal and what is abnormal?

It is the curve or turn in the stiffle which is like the thigh on the rear legs.
This will help you understand it better:
http://www.apbtconformation.com/hindquarters.htm
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby a-bull » April 12th, 2006, 11:02 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:
a-bull wrote:My guy has the same problem.

That sounds like other genetic probles and maybe arthritis HD or degenerative disc troubles were also at play as not just straight stiffles

Yup, I'd agree with that, given the other symptoms he displayed over the years . . .

I always felt like the stiff legs somehow caused the swayback, though, which I'm sure resulted in disk problems. The arthritis was probably just the result of aging.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » April 12th, 2006, 11:03 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:
houlabulla? wrote:Im not sure what you all mean about straight legs? What is normal and what is abnormal?

It is the curve or turn in the stiffle which is like the thigh on the rear legs.
This will help you understand it better:
http://www.apbtconformation.com/hindquarters.htm

Really interesting link. Thanks much. :)
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 12th, 2006, 11:08 am

That was a good sight - I'm gonna go home and stare at Inara.
:)
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby a-bull » April 12th, 2006, 7:04 pm

lol

We're so anal . . . :D
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby bullyboi » April 12th, 2006, 8:12 pm

My girl is very straight in the hind legs.
bullyboi
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 12th, 2006, 8:47 pm

Inara's perfect. :| Sorry for you fools! :wink:
Just kidding! Just wanted to yank some chains!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby a-bull » April 12th, 2006, 8:49 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Inara's perfect. :| Sorry for you fools! :wink:
Just kidding! Just wanted to yank some chains!

Oh come on . . . you can yank better than that . . . :D
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 12th, 2006, 8:54 pm

But this is a forum I DON'T want to get banned from! :wink:

She is perfect though.
pitbullmamaliz

Return to Nutrition & Health