Physical problems related to east-west front legs

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » April 10th, 2006, 11:31 am

Ruby is extremely east-west, and her shoulders are starting to 'sag' so she is standing with her front feet closer and closer together. I've caught her standing with her front feet touching more than once.

Her legs are turned out beginning at the shoulder and elbow, but most of the turn out comes at her pasterns.

What medical problems can I expect to see with her?

Her right left toes out farther than her left due to a shoulder injury at 6 months (before I got her)

What exercise should I do to help offset the poor structure?

A picture from last year
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » April 10th, 2006, 11:37 am

i have no answer, but i would put her on a joint medicine to help alleviate now the pains she might get later on in life....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 10th, 2006, 12:55 pm

Have you had her elbows checked???
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby mnp13 » April 10th, 2006, 12:58 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:Have you had her elbows checked???

nope, but she't going under to get her teeth cleaned on Wednesday so should I have them x-rayed?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby babyreba » April 10th, 2006, 1:05 pm

i would. she has a posture in that picture not unlike reba's. the reason reba stood that way, i found out a few years ago, is because she's got dysplatic elbows.

if i'd known sooner, i probably could have eliminated some activities that probably didn't do her much good (jumping on and off furniture and on and off anything tall she could climb up on--she's always been a climber) and introduced muscle building low-impact exercises like swimming.

so if she's going under anyway, it can't hurt to pay the extra $100 or whatever for the elbow films.

hopefully they will be clean and clear and will show no problems, though!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 10th, 2006, 1:31 pm

And the source of Ruby's "lovely" conformation...

Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pocketpit » April 10th, 2006, 1:58 pm

She's almost "fiddle" fronted. I would have the elbow x-rays done, keep her lean and give her joint supplements.
Swimming is a great non weight bearing exercise. It would keep her trim and fit without as much added stress on her joints. Other than that I don't know if there is much else you can do short of limiting the amount of jumping that she does.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 10th, 2006, 2:10 pm

fiddle fronted?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pocketpit » April 10th, 2006, 2:12 pm

Think of a fiddle upside down. The shape is bowed at the top and narrows down. Don't ask me who decided on that term :| That's what you would call a dog that was both out at the elbows and east west in the pasterns.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby pocketpit » April 10th, 2006, 2:21 pm

Or even a fiddle right side up. Bows a little, then narrows then bows again. Out at elbows, in at the pasterns, out at the feet.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby turtle » April 11th, 2006, 2:23 am

mnp13 wrote:And the source of Ruby's "lovely" conformation...

Oh my! That dog's got one huge chest on him... and he's out at the elbows too. Is he a pit bull X English bulldog mix? He's enormous!
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » April 11th, 2006, 7:54 am

Straight shark cartilage is all that's been working for Wally. He has an on and off limp from arthritis . . . well . . . everywhere. I've found that as long as I keep him on shark cartilage everyday (powder form) he doesn't limp.

And that dog, ummm . . . ummm . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » April 11th, 2006, 9:27 am

SisMorphine wrote:And that dog, ummm . . . ummm . . .

Yeah... no kidding...
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Nutrition & Health