A Second Dog?!

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Sue » April 10th, 2006, 10:18 am

I am not a doofus... just a little slow :D
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby SisMorphine » April 10th, 2006, 10:47 am

UPDATE:

It went VERY well! All I am waiting on is for the woman's daughter to give in. This is the story:

The husband of this couple went through cancer treatments and was in remission. They decided to get a bigger dog to do agility with and go camping with and such since they're a very active couple so they bought a 2 year old Dutch Shepherd that was a breeding reject (one of his ears doesn't always stand up straight). Well very soon after he came home they found that the husband had relapsed. And soon after that the wife found out that she also has cancer. So they decided that rehoming the Dutch was best for him since he is high drive and at times they can barely throw a ball for him :cry:

I have always loved Dutch Shepherds, but have had a hard time finding them around here. Well this one just happens to be two towns away and in need of a home who is going to work him :)

He tried to dominate Wally, Wally was going to have none of it and he submitted pretty quickly. Wally corrected him just twice and they were fine for the rest of the hour.

So if all goes well, and the owners can convince their daughter that this is the right thing to do for the dog, he will be coming home with me sometime next week. YAY!!!!!!!!!!! I'm beyond psyched!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » April 10th, 2006, 11:13 am

are you planning to get into bitesport with him?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » April 10th, 2006, 11:17 am

fingers and paws crossed here for you the daughter says yes... wait, who owns the dog? the parents or the daughter? if the parents own the dog they should give the decision them selves.. if the daughter says no, she is being very selfish.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » April 10th, 2006, 11:19 am

Maryellen wrote:fingers and paws crossed here for you the daughter says yes... wait, who owns the dog? the parents or the daughter? if the parents own the dog they should give the decision them selves.. if the daughter says no, she is being very selfish.

The daughter is being selfish. She was a wicked douche to me yesterday, though I didn't hold it against her because she does love the dog and today sent an apology to me for how she was acting. But she's 21, in college, and not prepared to take care of the dog herself, so I think it will probably be going my way.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby SisMorphine » April 10th, 2006, 11:21 am

mnp13 wrote:are you planning to get into bitesport with him?

Well my original idea was agility and advanced obedience. But bitework isn't out of the question at all. We'll see what happens. He's just such an AWESOME dog. And he's brindle so he matches Wally. What could be better?
SisMorphine

Postby SisMorphine » April 10th, 2006, 11:31 am

Oh and PS: They have already turned down about a dozen people who have been interested in him. She told me today that pending the daughter discussion he's mine as she called around about me (I didn't give her references but she knows that I work for the training center and the vet's office I used to work at) and said that she only heard great things. So yay!!!
SisMorphine

Postby cheekymunkee » April 10th, 2006, 11:35 am

Good luck!! It sounds as if you won over the daughter! Sorry she was being a snot but with both of her parents being ill it is probably a bit more than she can handle with having to rehome the dog too.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » April 10th, 2006, 11:36 am

stupid kid.. if its the parents dog they should be making the final decision.. just DONT mention bite work to them.... they might get scared off..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » April 10th, 2006, 11:44 am

cheekymunkee wrote:Good luck!! It sounds as if you won over the daughter! Sorry she was being a snot but with both of her parents being ill it is probably a bit more than she can handle with having to rehome the dog too.

That's what I figured too, which is why I didn't hold it against her at all. I remember how stressful it was when I was little and my mom was going through cancer treatments . . . I couldn't even imagine if my dad was too AND we had to get rid of a dog.
Maryellen wrote:stupid kid.. if its the parents dog they should be making the final decision.. just DONT mention bite work to them.... they might get scared off..

LOL! I know, I'm keeping quiet about that one. Especially since I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing with him, just that he'll be working.
SisMorphine

Postby Jenn » April 10th, 2006, 1:42 pm

I had no idea what a Dutch Shepherd was, but looked it up and they are very pretty dogs. Good luck!!!
Jenn
undecided

Postby SisMorphine » April 10th, 2006, 1:47 pm

I brought my camera today and of course was having so much fun that I forgot to take pictures.
*eyeroll*

Hopefully when they come here later this week I can snap some shots of him. He is so handsome, and a lot more of a red brindle than most of the Dutch Shepherds I've seen. Still not as red as Wally, but pretty close.
SisMorphine

Postby pocketpit » April 10th, 2006, 1:50 pm

I love DS! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!! Can't wait to see some pictures.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Hoyden » April 10th, 2006, 2:15 pm

Short haired or long haired Dutch Shepherd?
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 10th, 2006, 3:02 pm

Good luck , I hope it all works out for you!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby SisMorphine » April 10th, 2006, 9:41 pm

Hoyden wrote:Short haired or long haired Dutch Shepherd?

Short haired
SisMorphine

Postby Maryellen » April 11th, 2006, 8:08 am

WELL????????
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » April 11th, 2006, 8:30 am

Maryellen wrote:WELL????????

I didn't hear back last night. But I'll give them a few days anyway. I mean, it's a difficult decision to give up your dog, even if it's for all the right reasons! I won't be taking him home until next week, anyway, since this is my last week at the vet's office. That way I'll be home 24 hours a day starting next week so I'll be able to help him adjust a bit more.
SisMorphine

Previous

Return to Off-Topic