Animal Control Advice Needed

Ask questions about Animal Control situations and local laws. Several of our members are ACOs and we'll try our best to help you! Please note: this area is not for "bashing" Animal Control Officers.

Postby BigDogBuford » August 19th, 2008, 1:04 pm

So, my boss called Animal Control to figure out if we needed to file a separate report for the dog bite. They told him that because the dog is already gone and that we are a boarding facility there is nothing they can do.

WTF???

So who keeps track of these things? What happens if this dog seriously injures someone and there's no documentation with the owners/dogs names anywhere? Couldn't the owners just say they didn't know the dog was dangerous? I'm very frustrated and not sure where to go from here.

Advice?
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » August 19th, 2008, 1:34 pm

In New York, reporting bites is mandatory by law. (Not that I follow that one.) It's not in Washington?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigDogBuford » August 19th, 2008, 1:44 pm

mnp13 wrote:In New York, reporting bites is mandatory by law. (Not that I follow that one.) It's not in Washington?

AC basically isn't helping me. They said it's different because we're a boarding facility. :|
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby airwalk » August 19th, 2008, 3:26 pm

I don't know about Washington law..but in Oregon a bite is a bite is a bite is a bite, doesn't matter where it occurs.

I would call them and tell them you wish to file a bite report. Make them take a report - advise them where the dog is currently being housed for confinement and observation - and advise them you wish to know if the dog successfully completes rabies observation.
airwalk
I live here

Postby airwalk » August 19th, 2008, 3:27 pm

mnp13 wrote:In New York, reporting bites is mandatory by law. (Not that I follow that one.) It's not in Washington?

nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah I hear nothing *where's the icon for fingers in the ears*
airwalk
I live here

Postby Marinepits » August 19th, 2008, 4:01 pm

airwalk wrote:I don't know about Washington law..but in Oregon a bite is a bite is a bite is a bite, doesn't matter where it occurs.

Same here.

If AC won't take a report, go to your local PD and see if you can file one there.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » August 19th, 2008, 4:02 pm

btw How is your arm?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BigDogBuford » August 19th, 2008, 4:08 pm

Ok, I'll try AC first. My arm feels tons better!
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » August 19th, 2008, 4:43 pm

airwalk wrote:

nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah I hear nothing *where's the icon for fingers in the ears*

:|

I'd never report a bite that I sustained in training, but by the letter of the law, I should. The risk of training in bite work is getting bitten. lol
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby airwalk » August 19th, 2008, 4:45 pm

Shhhh don't tell anyone, but when one of the staff dogs got me the other day (one should move ones hand faster when handing out hot dog treats to a whole gaggle of dogs all trying to do tricks for one) I didn't report it.

I figure as long as I see her every day and I don't start rubbing my butt on the floor like she was..I was probably okay - but shhhhh don't tell anyone.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Marinepits » August 19th, 2008, 4:46 pm

LMAO
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby airwalk » August 19th, 2008, 4:48 pm

Now no laughing...me rubbing my butt on the floor would have not been pretty :D
airwalk
I live here

Postby BigDogBuford » August 19th, 2008, 4:49 pm

Yeah, I figure the chances of getting bitten are higher if you work with dogs. I just feel that this particular dog really is a potentially dangerous dog.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby airwalk » August 19th, 2008, 4:53 pm

We too figure that working with strays every day, our likelihood of being bitten is higher than the average person...but that doesn't change the law.

We file a bite report every time a dog in our care bites - staff or anyone else..so I'm not quite sure why they feel a boarding facility is somehow different.
airwalk
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 19th, 2008, 9:36 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:Yeah, I figure the chances of getting bitten are higher if you work with dogs. I just feel that this particular dog really is a potentially dangerous dog.

the risks are definately higher, but I do bitework as a hobby and it is up to me to keep myself safe. There is a certian risk involved with animal professions, but you should still be able to report it if you feel it is necessary... and it does sound necessary in this case.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenny » August 21st, 2008, 6:32 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:Yeah, I figure the chances of getting bitten are higher if you work with dogs. I just feel that this particular dog really is a potentially dangerous dog.

The local Health Department is usually involved in dog bite incidents here in NY... could be the same in WA... call your local Health Dept and ask them ?
"I went shopping for feminine protection. I decided on a .380 automatic."
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » October 17th, 2008, 7:57 pm

UPDATE

*****************************************************************************************************

Well I wanted to update everyone on this. The dogs' owner came by my work to give me a care basket of stuff. All fine and dandy until she proceeds to tell me that Thor just got his CGC and she's starting therapy dog training with him.

Are. You. Flucking. Kidding. Me? :eek1:

So I've been in contact with the Delta Society and it seems if there is a bite history on the dog then they can refuse him, no questions asked. I called AC yet AGAIN today and finally got a supervisor that's PI$$ED the report didn't get taken in the first place. We're meeting on Monday to get everything documented (including hospital stuff and photos). He said that given the circumstances there definitely needs to be a file on this dog. Oh! And he's a pit bull owner and loves them! :mrgreen:
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » October 17th, 2008, 8:37 pm

NICE!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 17th, 2008, 8:46 pm

Good for you for being persistent!

How'd you heal?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby BigDogBuford » October 17th, 2008, 9:05 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Good for you for being persistent!

How'd you heal?

Ok. I've got minor nerve damage in my hand but they said it will probably keep healing but it may take a long time.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Next

Return to ACO Questions and Answers