Trainers to Seek and Avoid

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby mnp13 » September 19th, 2008, 10:17 am

This thread is to recommend trainers that you have worked with personally or have solid knowledge of; both positive and negative experiences. Please keep your assessments objective, even if it is not a positive review.

Please note - the views expressed in this thread are personal opinions of the author of the posts. They do not represent the views of the staff, forum members or the owner of PitBullTalk.com.

Please use me and I statements in your posts. For example: "My experience with so-and-so was good/bad." "I feel they are a good/bad trainer based on a.b.c." If you have already posted, and would like to change your wording, please contact me with a new version of your post.

Anyone is welcome to post in this thread, to express an opinion or to rebut a post. Membership to the forum is required to post on the board, membership is free and open to the public.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LaylaWoobie » September 19th, 2008, 11:19 am

Bob Minchella, Lollypop Farm

AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

I took Olivia to him, he told me she was a pitbull and I should "just have her put down now." :rolleyes2:

She was fear aggressive (very, very fear aggressive). She went after him when he came up to talk to me, after I told him to talk to me from a distance. He tethered her to the wall, had me leave the room and charged her. It did nothing expect piss her (and me) off and whole hell of a lot.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 19th, 2008, 11:52 am

DOTCORNY trainers whom have been very welcoming to Pit Bulls in their classes, and have specifically stated that they have no issues with the breed. They also understand the breed/type and what comes along with having them in their classes. Definately NOT a complete list, and I'm guessing that I'll hear from others. ;) This is my personal opinion, and I'm positive that there are others. I hope they speak up.

In no particular order, some teach both agility and obedience

Agility: Kay Sadowsky, Bonnie Platt, Sharon Normanden

Obedience: Linda Barton, Sharon Normanden, Debbie Routhier
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LaylaWoobie » September 19th, 2008, 12:03 pm

I have trained with Bonnie and Sharon for quite some time and I can personally say they are FABULOUS.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby SisMorphine » September 19th, 2008, 12:10 pm

Trainers I know personally and can recommend:

Danvers, MA
Paws for Praise, LLC
-Pet and therapy training, including TDI (I think behavior mod also)

Eliot, ME
Pawsitive Steps
-Pet, therapy, and behavior modification

Lebanon, ME
Canine Adventures Agility
-puppy classes, basic, and agility
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby SassyCassie » September 19th, 2008, 3:08 pm

Debbie teaches Agility also, as well as Tracking :)
The root of ALL evil at dotcorny
SassyCassie
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 19th, 2008, 5:25 pm

Trainer to avoid:
Mel McGrath of Paramount Dog Training in NE Ohio. His solution to every problem is "yank on the prong." To teach Inara to walk beside me, I was to wait until she got in front of me and then do a 180, saying "NO NO NO" and giving a level 10 correction with each "no." So I was actually correcting her even after she'd already returned to my side. And for dog aggression? Level 10 prong correction.

Decent (but not great) trainers:
Gold Star Dog Training in NE Ohio. They are super friendly and willing to work with pit bulls, but have absolutely no knowledge of the breed (tried to tell people that Inara just wanted to play even after I said she has dog aggression; told my friend that her pit mix would just "snap" one day because that's what they do). But they offer really good classes, and once you take a class once, you can take it over and over again for free.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby StalkerBlueDog » September 21st, 2008, 11:37 pm

I personally would avoid the "avoid at all costs" posts.. one could end up with a lawsuit for slander.. especially on an open list.. private "avoid at all cost" posts if someone asks about a particular person would be better.. watched it happen on other lists..

but recommendations about Good trainers is fantastic..

I agree with recommendations of Sharron, Michelle (yes- you michelle.. btw I don't make your list?) , Debbie, Linda, Bonny, Kay. Alex Monroe is a reactive dog person (ask me privately if you want to know details.. ) and will be more then sympatic to bully breeds. She teaches tracking.

Sharron has alot of recommendations for good trainers for reactive dogs in the are- i believe They have a whole reactive dog/red bandana out at Agile Dogs (tracy Sklner).
Jill Rakin CPDT-KA
"DAWN" U-CH Canami's Age of Aquarius CD RE AX OAJ NF CGC/TDI (1/3 AXJ, 1/5 U-GRCH, MACH pt'd)
"KAYLEE" U-CH Canami's Protector of Serenity (AKC major Pt'd)
"LEIA" Sorella's Rebel Princess (UKC pt'd)
"LUKE"Canami Sorella's A New Hope RN
StalkerBlueDog
My dog can kick your sheep's ass

Postby StalkerBlueDog » September 21st, 2008, 11:38 pm

Diane Gardner is also good with reactive dogs in general- pits or otherwise.
Jill Rakin CPDT-KA
"DAWN" U-CH Canami's Age of Aquarius CD RE AX OAJ NF CGC/TDI (1/3 AXJ, 1/5 U-GRCH, MACH pt'd)
"KAYLEE" U-CH Canami's Protector of Serenity (AKC major Pt'd)
"LEIA" Sorella's Rebel Princess (UKC pt'd)
"LUKE"Canami Sorella's A New Hope RN
StalkerBlueDog
My dog can kick your sheep's ass

Postby mnp13 » September 21st, 2008, 11:45 pm

StalkerBlueDog wrote:btw I don't make your list?

lol

oops! I've never taken a class with you, so you didn't pop into my head! Jill was the one who put her foot down and prevented the Pit Bulls from being kicked out en masse from DOTCORNY. There was a lot of support for her decision, but the buck stops with the OTD when it comes to banning. (maybe with the ATD as well?)
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SassyCassie » September 22nd, 2008, 7:42 am

oooh, Michelle, can Cassie be in your book too? You know, she lunges at little dogs when they are recalling :mrgreen:
The root of ALL evil at dotcorny
SassyCassie
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » September 22nd, 2008, 8:34 am

StalkerBlueDog wrote:I personally would avoid the "avoid at all costs" posts.. one could end up with a lawsuit for slander.. especially on an open list.. private "avoid at all cost" posts if someone asks about a particular person would be better.. watched it happen on other lists..

I agree with this.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby ma67cpe » October 1st, 2008, 10:47 pm

Anybody know of a good trainer near dallas tx? My pup shows some aggresion towards other dogs when we are out on walks.
ma67cpe
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » October 1st, 2008, 11:55 pm

ma67cpe wrote:Anybody know of a good trainer near dallas tx? My pup shows some aggresion towards other dogs when we are out on walks.

You should start a new thread and pose your question... we have tons of members who have some DA dogs, and you will get some good insights and advise. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 16th, 2008, 10:24 am

Definite trainer to seek: Brenda Aloff, in Michigan. I drove over 4 hours to go see her and it was well worth it. http://www.brendaaloff.com
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby demolitionic » February 19th, 2009, 12:49 pm

Does anyone know of any good training clubs/facilities in the Houston area?

I haven't been able to find any that know anything about bully breeds. They've all given me typical stereotyped information when I tell them I have an APBT :rolleyes2:
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby BritneyP » February 19th, 2009, 10:12 pm

Amanda,

www.tricountyk9.com is run by Tammy McDowell and Darryl Richey. Darryl is a PSA Director, but more importantly, he got his start in PSA with an APBT so I'd tend to think either he and/or Tammy would be able to help you out, even with regular obedience, not just protection work. :)
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby demolitionic » February 20th, 2009, 3:25 am

BritneyP wrote:Amanda,

http://www.tricountyk9.com is run by Tammy McDowell and Darryl Richey. Darryl is a PSA Director, but more importantly, he got his start in PSA with an APBT so I'd tend to think either he and/or Tammy would be able to help you out, even with regular obedience, not just protection work. :)

HOLY CRAP thank you.

Squish is a good girl, but we need to work more on obedience. (She has NO idea how to stay if there is ANY sort of distraction at all) and once her choke comes off, she goes retarded.

I'd love to bring her to a class where the trainer didn't just see her all excitable and go "VICIOUS!"

I'm going to check it out right now :dance:
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby katiek0417 » February 20th, 2009, 6:38 am

demolitionic wrote:
BritneyP wrote:Amanda,

http://www.tricountyk9.com is run by Tammy McDowell and Darryl Richey. Darryl is a PSA Director, but more importantly, he got his start in PSA with an APBT so I'd tend to think either he and/or Tammy would be able to help you out, even with regular obedience, not just protection work. :)

HOLY CRAP thank you.

Squish is a good girl, but we need to work more on obedience. (She has NO idea how to stay if there is ANY sort of distraction at all) and once her choke comes off, she goes retarded.

I'd love to bring her to a class where the trainer didn't just see her all excitable and go "VICIOUS!"

I'm going to check it out right now :dance:

I highly recommend Tammy and Darryl! They are good friends of ours (Darryl is actually in our wedding) - in fact, we may be down that way in April for their trial (looking like we will be) - maybe you'd even come out and watch Cy and I. :wink:

Seriously, though....Darryl's pit was being shown in the Level 3's of PSA - the only pit to make it that high in PSA - and Darryl did all his training...he learned under Jerry Bradshaw (my mentor) and (the late) Joe Morris, the co-founders of PSA....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby demolitionic » February 20th, 2009, 2:16 pm