This is Remy.

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby Favorite Kitty » October 9th, 2008, 12:02 pm

Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby Hoyden » October 9th, 2008, 12:22 pm

I'm assuming Remy is the bat or mouse poking it's head out??
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Marinepits » October 9th, 2008, 12:59 pm

OMG! He's adorable! *girly squeal*

How's he doing? Adjusting to life outside?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TheRedQueen » October 9th, 2008, 1:33 pm

Cute! :shock: :D
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 9th, 2008, 1:37 pm

Oh he's cute!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Favorite Kitty » October 9th, 2008, 2:06 pm

Remy is a mouse that fell from our apple tree a couple of months ago as a pinkie. I bottle fed him around the clock for 3 weeks and he grew into a fat, happy, little mouse.

Marinepits wrote:OMG! He's adorable! *girly squeal*

How's he doing? Adjusting to life outside?

Um, no. He is back in the house. We brought him outside Saturday morning with a flying squirrel box we made the day before. We put his food out there, his blanket inside the nest box, and his wheel. He loved his wheel! We put his food in the wheel like he did in the tank. This is what the rehabbers call a "soft release". You give them food everyday in a different spot and have something that they can hide in that feel familiar with.

We went inside. We pretended that we werent upset. The kids and I knew this is what was best for him so it made it easier. I left the back light on for him that night and kept looking out the back door. I saw him when I went out back to turn the chickens lights off. He was sitting at the bottom step of my deck stairs. I walked right past him and it killed me to do it. I checked one last time before going to bed and I saw him digging in my cat grass pot on the deck!

The next morning I let the goats out and he was sitting on top of that squirrel box just watching me. We left for the afternoon and when we returned he was sitting in the bird feeder eating seeds :) He wasnt very nervous about the birds feeding at the other feeders right next to him, the little bonehead. That night I put the goats in their beds and guess who was in the hay bales? As soon as he saw me in there he ran on top of my foot. Of course I scooped him.

This little guy is never going to make it in the wild. We really wondered if we should let him go where we found him as a baby or at the rehabbers place. She told us that mice almost always will go back to the spots they were born to have babies, so she tries to release hers where they were found. That is why we wanted to let him go near the apple tree he fell from. Now I dont know what to do with him. If we walk by his tank he bounces at the glass. He isnt a wild mouse. Not like he should be anyway. I did my damnedest to only handle him when he needed to eat so that he COULD be wild. I have been told that this sometimes happens. Some rehabbers will put them to sleep if they cant be released. And I have been told that several times already. I couldnt do that to Remy mouse :( I wouldnt mind releasing him somewhere else but I honestly dont think he has the reflexes to stay alive out there. He isnt afraid of anything.
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 9th, 2008, 2:32 pm

Can you just keep him?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » October 9th, 2008, 2:36 pm

If he's that "imprinted" on you, what's the harm in keeping him fed and happy? They have such a short lifespan anyway.

While I don't advocate keeping wild animals as pets, Remy seems to be the exception.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jenn » October 9th, 2008, 2:36 pm

Wow you found him as a tiny pink mouse?? How did you feed him so small?
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby maberi » October 9th, 2008, 2:42 pm

Nice looking mouse
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby TheRedQueen » October 9th, 2008, 3:09 pm

Marinepits wrote:If he's that "imprinted" on you, what's the harm in keeping him fed and happy? They have such a short lifespan anyway.

While I don't advocate keeping wild animals as pets, Remy seems to be the exception.

Ditto! :D
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » October 9th, 2008, 3:30 pm

yeah, just keep him...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby CinderDee » October 9th, 2008, 3:37 pm

I would keep him too. He is really cute!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Favorite Kitty » October 9th, 2008, 4:50 pm

I dont want to keep him here either, but as I said, I just dont think he is cut out to not act like a bone head. Running up to people and sitting on their shoe, or as he did yesterday run up my PANT LEG :shock: , is not something mice should do. He is lovable and shouldnt be. He's a fast guy, but only fast when running into your hair :) I probably could keep him, even take him outside once in a while, and not fear that he will run away. I dont know what to do. We'll take the days as they come and see what he tells us. He could be a completely different mouse tomorrow morning.

I just took more pictures! and video but they take took long.

he must like me because he winked at me :)
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby CinderDee » October 9th, 2008, 5:07 pm

Gosh, he's just adorable! :loveU:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » October 9th, 2008, 5:36 pm

Oh for crying out loud, Tamara. I would have mailed you the mouse I found in my kitchen if you wanted one!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby call2arms » October 9th, 2008, 6:54 pm

Oh come on. You know what to do. You're keeping him. Along with the chicken and the goats, add a mouse...
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby hugapitbull » October 9th, 2008, 8:28 pm

OMG, He is so cute. How can you possibly do anything except keep him if he isn't capable of taking care of himself? What can it hurt? He loves you :dance:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby cheekymunkee » October 9th, 2008, 10:17 pm

He's cute in a mousy kind of way. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Favorite Kitty » October 10th, 2008, 8:16 am

yeah, there is a big difference in this one sitting in my hand and ones that hide in your kitchen cabinets, huh? Those arent as cute.

I just wonder what he will be like when its time for him to look for a girlfriend. Do they go through rut like other rodents do? I know male rats are generally sweeter than females, but I have had male prairie dogs, and DAMN they can be mean if they arent neutered!

And, Joyce, do NOT send me any more pets :P (except if its Bo. he is fine.)
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Next

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members