Finally...An Introduction....

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby katiek0417 » October 5th, 2008, 2:46 pm

....to the newest member of our family: NEMO!

Nemo is a 15-month old Belgian Malinois imported from Czech. He and his brother were imported to Jerry at the end of April. When they were imported, Jerry's broker/supplier from Czech told him he should keep one or both of the brothers for himself because their drive and nerve would make them perfect for sport work. However, Jerry already had a dog. Jerry also knew all I was going through with Cy's health issues (and knew that realistically he would have to retire next year), and I had Nisha who I was going to start showing next year, but may not be suited for the upper levels of PSA, and Kaiden, who would be a much better personal protection dog than sport dog. So, he told me about Nemo and Neils (his brother). A few weeks later, Greg and I were in North Carolina for a trial, and Jerry introduced us to the two dogs, and showed us their bitework. At 12 months old, Nemo cared about no pressure, had a ton of drive. There aren't a lot of dogs Greg would own, but he told me he would own Nemo.

Well, it took me a few weeks to make up my mind, and, in the meantime, Jerry's trainers started to train him for drug detection (so if I didn't get him he could easily be sold to a police department). I finally decided that I wanted Nemo, and Jerry told me they would complete the narcotics' detection training for only slightly more money than he was going to charge me for the dog. This was back in June. In all reality, I was purchasing this dog to replace Cy and Jue for breeding (Nemo's lines are excellent) and being trained in narcotics would only increase his value as a stud dog.

So, fast forward. At the beginning of September, one of Jerry's trainers, and one of my good friends, Jeff, delivered Nemo to me.

He definitely has more drive than what I'm used to...and has NO obedience...so, everything is a challenge...but he's VERY social, which helps. Even though he's 15 months old, he is still very much puppy, and likes to dunk his head in the water bucket and blow bubbles! He's social with the other dogs (even the puppies and the males)...although right now, he is only allowed to play with the females...

Anyway, here's Nemo:

Playing in the bucket of water:

Playing with Nisha:

"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby celeste » October 5th, 2008, 3:21 pm

awwwwwwwwww hes so cute...wait should i say that about working dogs lol jkjk hes adorable
celeste
Just Whelped

Postby madremissy » October 5th, 2008, 3:56 pm

He looks even bigger than when you first saw him. He is really pretty.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby demolitionic » October 5th, 2008, 6:07 pm

LMAO, that last picture makes me laugh

He's all "RAWR!!! IMMMMMMA GONNA GETCHA!"
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » October 5th, 2008, 6:17 pm

He's so handsome...masculine yet puppy-ish at the same time! :D
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » October 5th, 2008, 6:20 pm

Congratulations! I love the bucket photos. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby nicole » October 5th, 2008, 7:28 pm

finally! :wink: haha...you can tell how silly he is from these pics, I'm sure he'll bring you lots of laughs.
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Hundilein » October 5th, 2008, 9:54 pm

I LOVE that last picture. Just makes me laugh. He sounds like a trip.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby BritneyP » October 6th, 2008, 12:39 am

Katrina he's adorable!!! :mrgreen: And he looks very silly. :wink:
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » October 6th, 2008, 5:06 am

Its about time!

He looks great!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 6th, 2008, 11:20 am

Oh he's cute! Looks fun!

Why's he have a prong? I thought you were doing clicker training with him?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby DropkickPA » October 6th, 2008, 1:50 pm

He's gorgeous, and seems like a really great addition tot he family. Welcome Nemo!!
Dropkick, Dropkid, and Agatha, of course!!
DropkickPA
Confident Young Bully

Postby pocketpit » October 6th, 2008, 6:46 pm

He's a cutie!
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Malorey » October 6th, 2008, 8:26 pm

Lovley!

Great pictures also!
"But banning a breed won't stop dog attacks. People have to be aware of their dog's temperaments and make sure they have control of their pets through obedience classes and behavior training."

- Donna Malone, VP, Responsible Animal Owners of Tennessee
Malorey
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » October 6th, 2008, 9:15 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Oh he's cute! Looks fun!

Why's he have a prong? I thought you were doing clicker training with him?

I am doing clicker for some foundation, especially capturing (although I have started to work him more with a tug b/c I have found that he actually likes it much more than anything else I could give him - except maybe a bite)...however, he is wearing a prong for several reasons:

1. I have to work him on narcs in a prong....
2. He has so much drive that I have to have some way to control him (we realized that he might be named Nemo b/c he's like a fish out of water...flopping around, spinning, etc) ....
3. My dogs always wear prongs for a while to get used to them before I even use them for corrections...I like for the prong to just be another collar that really doesn't mean anything...I have found that the best way to desensitize them to the prong is just by having them wear it...

Thanks everyone! He's really great. We were at a decoy seminar today, and he was worked a few times...people were impressed with his drive. Jerry did finally teach him an out today (in his words after I spent a few minutes TRYING to choke him off the grip when trading him didn't work: "this is getting tiring")! He definitely has more drive than any dog I'm used to. Nisha is high drive...but she doesn't hold a candle to this psycho! More pics to come!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby TheRedQueen » October 6th, 2008, 9:27 pm

Why does he have to work narcs in a prong? :? Merely curious...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby katiek0417 » October 7th, 2008, 5:14 am

TheRedQueen wrote:Why does he have to work narcs in a prong? :? Merely curious...

Well, there's two types of search techniques: methodical and malinois lol

Actually, it's methodical and hectic. Nemo, still being new to detection, and having so much drive, is very hectic in his searching....the prong collar allows us to keep him working methodically, while still being quick...

We tried to work him on a flat collar at first, but realized he was not searching in any patterned manner...he was just all over...so, the prong allowed us to exercise some control over his search methods - the prong collar, in reality, is too loose to give a correction right now...he's awesome at detecting drugs....so we want to make sure we continue his training to get him to hit all over, and both high and low...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members