Help With PitBull in NM!

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby foxersartist » October 4th, 2008, 6:56 pm

Hi there everyone!
I live in Albuquerque, NM and I have just had a crash course in living with pitbulls. Last week I saw an ad for someone who was moving to NM with her pitbull, Bella and was looking for someone to foster her dog while she looked for a place to live. I offered my home and told her that we could try it out, and at least this would give her some time.

Bella is an amazing dog and I never knew pitbulls could be so loving. Bella is clearly spoiled at home and wants nothing more than to be with her people. Unfortunately, Bella has a bit of seperation anxiety which seems to have gotten worse now that her mom is out of the scene. She follows me everywhere, lays in my lap on the sofa, and sleeps at the foot of our bed. She is well behaved and minds her manners. She is gentle and mellow and we have really been enjoying her sweet personality.

The seperation anxiety would not be a major problem for us, except that we run a parrot rescue and Bella seems very "interested" in our birds. when we offered our home we had hoped that we could put bella out in the yard a few times a day while we worked with our parrots. Bella becomes histerical outside when she knows you are home and cries and cries. I don't want to be rude to my neighbors and I don't want poor Bella to be so anxious. I know that ignoring her behavior and praising her for positive behavior is the best way to go, but since Bella is just visiting, I doubt I could get very far with her while she is here and then there is still the parrot situation.

I would very much like to help Bella until her owner finds a place to live, but I can't just stop working with my parrots and can't put them in danger either. We have a very open houseplan and even when Bella is in the livingroom and she can see me in the kitchen (divided by a baby gate), she is still beside herself because she is seperated from us.

Is anyone out there in NM who would be willing to help? most people around here don't want to have anything to do with Bella because she is a PitBull, but the truth is that she is a little lady and a pleasure. Please let me know if anyone can help.
-Anna
foxersartist
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » October 4th, 2008, 7:19 pm

Hi Anna. :wave2: Intros are really just for introducing yourself, but I don't make the rules so don't shoot the messenger. :wink:

I hope you are able to find help for Bella. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » October 4th, 2008, 7:47 pm

I have two budgies and five pit bulls. All the dogs are quite interested in the birds, but they have solid "leave it" commands and do not bother the birds. When the birds are out of their cage, the dogs are separated into their crates downstairs. We also have a very open floorplan, so the birds can go virtually anywhere except the downstairs. Have you tried crating Bella, then covering her crate with a blanket or sheet? Also try giving her a tasty treat she can chew on while in the crate.

I'd love to hear more about your parrots, too!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » October 5th, 2008, 9:14 pm

Hi & welcome! I cant wait for pics!!! :wave2:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 6th, 2008, 8:25 am

Welcome! :wave:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Return to Introductions