Goodbye Dear Friend

Postby mnp13 » October 3rd, 2008, 8:36 pm

Many of you were members here on June 1, 2007, when Christine joined PBT. She arrived with a Pit Bull that came straight out of every hyped up, stereotypical, overblown news story about our breed… but these were TRUE stories.

Most Pit Bull boards chew up owners like Christine and spit them out. The very first thing out of their members is to tell someone to kill their dog, and when they say no, they get beaten about the head with all the horrible things that their dog might someday do…

But not our board.

I will admit that I rolled my eyes when Christine joined with Mick. Another owner with a sob story about her dog’s awful beginning and all sorts of excuses about why her dog was acting like an ass all the time. I just closed my eyes and wished she would go away. She didn’t. She stayed and with a tenacity that is only matched by our dogs, she made us help her and Mick.

I’m glad she did.

Christine came here to learn and make her life with Mick better. We definitely helped her with that, but in the end we were the ones that ended up getting the better end of the deal. We got to watch Mick slowly change under Christine’s guidance until we could all see the dog that she has seen from the beginning. The Beast was slowly being tamed.

Ten months ago, Mick was diagnosed with Lymphoma and Christine decided to try to help him beat it. The fight was long, and they seemed to be winning… WE seemed to be winning… but today our friend lost his battle.

He stopped eating few days ago, and was in for further testing. The prognosis was grim and instead of being selfish and keeping him alive for a few more precious – but likely very uncomfortable - days or weeks, Christine gave him yet another gift of love; she ended his pain.

You can’t open a section of this forum and not find pictures of Mick somewhere. The entire forum was his “gallery;” the Beast that made us smile; laugh out loud and sometimes spit water on our keyboards (occasionally quite literally).

His pictures are everywhere, and usually very easy to find. However, it’s not always easy to find the little stories and anecdotes that end up scattered in threads all over the board.

Nothing can make the loss of a friend “easy” but sometimes sharing stories and memories can dull the pain a bit.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » October 3rd, 2008, 8:40 pm

My heart goes out to you, Christine. :(
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby maberi » October 3rd, 2008, 8:41 pm

Christine I can honestly say that Mick was the only dog on this forum that would make me smile with each picture I saw of him. He had a zest for life that I have yet to see in any other dog.

I am so very sorry to hear of his passing. I will always remember his bully smile and I am so happy that he was able to spend his years with such a loving and caring owner
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 3rd, 2008, 8:44 pm

Christine, we ALL will feel the loss of Mick deeply, but obviously not like you will. It's been such a joy reading your stories about Mick's astounding progress. From the Beast that he was when you first joined, he's become the penultimate gentleman - wooing the lady dogs, meeting strangers at his door nicely, and giving some lovely and memorable birthday wishes (lederhosen???).

Nothing I can say will come across as not cliched. Nothing I can say can express my sorrow. And nothing I can say will be able to ease your pain. Just know that you have a lot of friends here that are mourning with you.

I'm so sorry. :cry:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby SisMorphine » October 3rd, 2008, 8:51 pm

Christine you know how I feel.

Mick was loved by many through your pictures and stories and trials and tribulations and successes. He was PBT's dog. We all are with you in missing this boy.

We love you.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » October 3rd, 2008, 9:05 pm

We won't be the same without our friend, OUR dog. I have no words, just tears. Our hearts are broken. Our lives are a little richer because of you Mick, we will always love you.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby madremissy » October 3rd, 2008, 9:14 pm

Christine,
Mick will be missed greatly and will live forever in our hearts. Sleep well Mick. :(
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Violet » October 3rd, 2008, 9:15 pm

I am SO sorry for your loss..for everyones loss.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby Moe » October 3rd, 2008, 9:15 pm

Oh Mick a doodle...I loved you the first day I joined PBT...I was a huge fan of his antics, his pictures and his stories...Without you Christine, Micks life would not have been, without you being devoted to helping him become a better dog, he would not have known love and what the good life was truely about...I honor your strentgh and devotion to Mick...And this is his letter to you...

*Author Unknown

To my dearest family,
some things I'd like to say.
But first of all, to let you know,
that I arrived okay.

I'm writing this from the Bridge.
Here I dwell with God above.
Here there's no more tears of sadness.
Here is just eternal love.

Please do not be unhappy
just because I'm out of sight.
Remember that I am with you
every morning, noon and night.

That day I had to leave you
when my life on earth was through,
God picked me up and hugged me
and He said, "I welcome you.

It's good to have you back again,
you were missed while you were gone.
As for your dearest family,
They'll be here later on."

God gave me a list of things,
that he wished for me to do.
And foremost on the list,
was to watch and care for you.

And when you lie in bed at night
the day's chores put to flight,
God and I are closest to you...
in the middle of the night.

When you think of my life on earth,
and all those loving years,
because you are only human,
they are bound to bring you tears.

But do not be afraid to cry:
it does relieve the pain.
Remember there would be no flowers,
unless there were some rain.

I wish that I could tell you
all that God has planned.
If I were to tell you,
you wouldn't understand.

But one thing is for certain,
though my life on earth is o'er.
I'm closer to you now,
than I ever was before.

There are rocky roads ahead of you
and many hills to climb;
But together we can do it
by taking one day at a time.

It was always my philosophy
and I'd like it for you too;
That as you give unto the world,
the world will give to you.

If you can help somebody
who's in sorrow and pain;
Then you can say to God at night...
"My day was not in vain."

And now I am contented...
that my life was worthwhile.
Knowing as I passed along
I made somebody smile.

God says: "If you meet somebody
who is sad and feeling low;
Just lend a hand to pick him up,
as on your way you go.

When you're walking down the street
with me on your mind;
I'm walking in your footsteps
only half a step behind."

"And when it's time for you to go...
from that body to be free.
Remember you're not going...
you're coming here to me."
You laugh because I'm different...........
I laugh cause I just farted!
Moe
The Dog Whisperererer

Postby Marinepits » October 3rd, 2008, 9:16 pm

Thank you for sharing Mick with all of us. I will miss him.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jenn » October 3rd, 2008, 9:18 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss :(
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby CinderDee » October 3rd, 2008, 9:41 pm

Dear Christine,

Words are so inadequate. :cry:
Mick was a dog that got into peoples' souls and we'll never be the same for having known him. I'll miss him so much.

I love you, Mick. RIP....
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby sfbullygirl » October 3rd, 2008, 9:51 pm

There are no words Chistine, but the love of all the people on this board for you and Mick should tell you he was something you already know, and that was he was special to alot of people. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I am so sorry.

RIP Mick you will always be loved. :(
sfbullygirl
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » October 3rd, 2008, 10:03 pm

I have come to the conclusion that it is a very selfless act to euthanize a dog, something that some people cannot even bring themselves to do. It is putting your wants and desires FAR below that of your furry best friend, and a very kind gesture, really.
I know how difficult this must have been for you, your attachement for Mick is obvious through your writing and pictures; but, take heart in knowing that it was the KINDEST thing for him, even if it wasn't for you :hug3: That alone speaks volumes about you as a person.
I can't even believe how thoughtful and kind you have been to Oscar and I, and we've never met!
Christine, I am so very sorry.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » October 3rd, 2008, 10:04 pm

Christine and Jessica...

My words cannot take away your tears, but please know that I am right along side you sharing your sadness ((hug))
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby BritneyP » October 3rd, 2008, 10:19 pm

Christine,

My heart is completely broken. :(
I sit here crying for you, Jess and dear little Sophie.
I never met Mick, but as others have said, he was one dog that always brought a smile to my face.

You can be proud to know that you were owned by a dog that touched hundreds of people's hearts, inculding my own.

Rest Easy, Big Guy.
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby LMM » October 3rd, 2008, 10:39 pm

Christine, my heart is broken for you. Mick made me smile all the time and I never knew him personally. His smile, his pictures, your commentary lifted my spirits many a day. He was a very special dog but you know that. I am so so sorry for your loss.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby airwalk » October 3rd, 2008, 11:19 pm

Ah Christine...I all too well know there are no words to help take away the sorrow. I can only tell you that each day gets just a touch easier to remember the wonderful things without crying.

Mick was a very special boy and he came to you for a reason. You save him and he loved you unconditionally.
airwalk
I live here

Postby pocketpit » October 3rd, 2008, 11:41 pm

Christine,
I'm at a loss for words. Like everyone else here has already mentioned, there's nothing I can say to make you feel better or take away the hurt. Mick was well loved and definately one of a kind! My thoughts are with you :hug3:
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » October 4th, 2008, 12:02 am

Mick always used to say "you TALK too much" ( :rolleyes2: )... and, in true fashion, this will be loooong - but bear with me for one last time.

First, let me share Micks last day...
I took Mick back to the vet in the morning. He hadn't been doing well, and had stopped eating a couple of days ago.
He looked tired. He seemed to be in pain and he had a hard time breathing.
He didn't put up a struggle while he was being sedated, but he did give a token growl, just to keep up appearances.
We waited for him to "go under". 30 minutes later... we still waited. The vet and I had talked in the meantime, and I knew it was bad... if your vet has tears in her eyes after having almost been mauled several times over the past three years - you know the news can't be good.
We waited some more, and finally Mick got another shot. Still, his ears kept perking up and his eyes would not close.
I asked one of the vet techs to get us an ice cream from McDonalds, and after Mick had that we got comfortable on the floor. The vet left the room and turned off the lights... I was laying on my back w/my head against the door, and Mick was next to me with his head on my chest.
We had a long talk, and every so often the tip of his tail would wag a little bit... just enough to let me know that he was listening, and agreeing... or not.
I thanked him for the best almost-seven years of my life. I told him that it was an honor to have shared my life with him, and that I knew he was only hanging on for my sake.
I promised that I would take good care of "his Jessica" for him, and that he didn't have to worry about us.
I told him I loved him so many times that he finally rolled his eyes at me and snorted.
He also got a third shot.
In true Beast fashion it took enough sedation for a 95-pound dog, and over two hours, before he finally gave in and went to sleep.

The vet did more blood work, some fine needle aspirations, and a physical exam. Micks liver and spleen were extremely swollen, the lymphnodes around his throat were so swollen that he almost couldn't swallow. Even w/a prednisone shot and/or oral chemo he might've only had 2-3 weeks left... and he would've been in pain and very uncomfortable.

I had him euthanized while he was still under sedation, and I held him until his heart stopped and he wasn't breathing anymore.
I know the neurons do their thing after death... and when Mick sort of twitched and moved... everyone except me took a quick step away from the table... pure reflex... but he would've had a big smile on his face over that one. He scared the vet one final time, my big goof ball of a dog.

What else is there to say... a piece of my heart died when he passed, and I will miss him.
He's been a better friend to me than most people I know, and he was my family.
Those of us whom he loved he loved completely, and without reservation. He was loyal to a fault, and the most forgiving being I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.
He was funny. He was stubborn. He was a creature of habit.
He might've hated people, but he was kind and loving towards all the little creatures that came and went through our house during his lifetime.
He was generous. He had a huge heart and a smile to match.
Most of all - he loved life. He truly lived life to the fullest whenever possible, and he was happiest when he could spend his time with us. Didn't matter where we were, or what we did... as long as he was with us, he was content.

Mick changed me in ways I never could've imagined... and I am grateful that I had the opportunity to have him in my life. He brought so much joy and happiness in my world... and that's the only reason I let him go. I owed him that.

Be at peace now, my beautiful goofy boy.
I love you. I will miss you.
And THANK YOU for having been "mine" as long as you were.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Next

Return to Our Departed Friends