KG North Regional Championship (Schutzhund trial, Maryland)

CT, DE, DC, IN, ME, MD, MA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT

Postby babyreba » October 1st, 2008, 2:07 pm

KG North Regional Championship
Hosted by the Commonwealth Working Dog Club

Dates: Nov. 22-23, 2008

16000 Aquasco Road
Brandywine, MD 20613

Judge: Fred Marashi

Titles Offered: BH (entry fee $50)
VPG 1, 2, & 3 (entry fee $85)
All entrants must be KG North DVG members

Tracking: Will be on grass, within 30 minutes of the trial field

Dress Code: There is no required uniform, but entrants must dress respectably. No training vests of any kind may be worn on the field.

Hotel: We have reserved a block of rooms at
La Quinta Inn
11770 Business Park Drive
Waldorf, MD 20601
(301) 645-0011
(800) 531-5900
• Room rates are $84.99 per double room, plus 11 percent tax; La Quinta will allow more than two guests per room for a charge of $99.99 plus tax per night.
• This La Quinta is a dog-friendly property
• You are responsible for making your own reservation with La Quinta, and you must book by Oct. 31, 2008 to receive the group rate of $84.99 per night. Tell the person making your reservation that you are reserving with the Commonwealth Working Dog Club group.

Deadlines: Trial applications must be received by the trial chairman by Wednesday, Nov. 12; if your entry arrives late and it is not postmarked by Monday, Nov. 10, your application will be returned and you will not be permitted to trial.

For more information: If you need more information about this event, please contact trial chairman Erin Sullivan at biteypony @g mail . com
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » October 2nd, 2008, 8:22 am

Erin, I have a question for you....I'm a DVG Southeast member (b/c MD is in the Southeast region)...does that mean I can't do the BH (that's all I'm trying for with my dogs).
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby babyreba » October 2nd, 2008, 1:31 pm

Hey Katrina,

Our club is based in MD/VA and we're in the KG North . . . I noticed that the club Chuck is part of is in the KG South, which I thought was odd since they are also MD/VA . . . but I do know that you have to be a member of the KG North to trial in this particular trial, so you aren't eligible for this one.

There is a DVG trial in early November in our area that you could trial at, though, and I really like the judge for this one, she came and trained with us a bit in the spring after our spring trial:

November 1 & 2, 2008

Washington DC Area Gebrauchshund Club Trial

Washington DC Area

Judge: Lisa Little
e-mail:jenzem@hughes.net
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » October 3rd, 2008, 4:44 am

babyreba wrote:Hey Katrina,

Our club is based in MD/VA and we're in the KG North . . . I noticed that the club Chuck is part of is in the KG South, which I thought was odd since they are also MD/VA . . . but I do know that you have to be a member of the KG North to trial in this particular trial, so you aren't eligible for this one.

There is a DVG trial in early November in our area that you could trial at, though, and I really like the judge for this one, she came and trained with us a bit in the spring after our spring trial:

November 1 & 2, 2008

Washington DC Area Gebrauchshund Club Trial

Washington DC Area

Judge: Lisa Little
e-mail:jenzem@hughes.net

Very cool! Thank you! And you said I can use my USA Schutzhund book for DVG? Like I said, I just want to go for the BH with Cy and Nisha...although Greg said we should go ahead and try to teach Cy to run blinds before then, and go for a SchA - if it's being offered...we already know Cy will do the "courage test" and the "attack on handler" and he'll go around something to look for someone, but he'll come back to me (or at least try to - I may be able to fudge it and keep him going as a directional)...

They guard once they get into the blind, right?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby babyreba » October 3rd, 2008, 11:43 am

yes, you can use your USA scorebook in a DVG trial . . .

per the DVG America web site:

B2. Which scorebooks are acceptable in a DVG trial?

Any scorebook from a recognized organization. In LV America, that includes scorebooks from USA, any AWDF member organization, ATTIBOX member clubs, and the GSDCA-WDA. If you import a dog and it comes with, for example, an ADRK scorebook, unless you are a member of ADRK, that scorebook is invalid with which to enter a trial. You must send a copy of the scorebook to the DVG office with a scorebook application and receive back a DVG scorebook, which will state that whatever titles the dog holds are on record in the office. As a DVG member, you have to have a DVG scorebook, anyway.

not sure if they're gonna offer the SCH A at the DC club trial or not, but it's worth asking them. it's possible that they will if they know someone is interested in it.

the blind running for the beginning stages of SCH shouldn't be too difficult for you to teach--generally, you teach the dog to go "revier" and point to the dummy blind, then you call the dog to come back to you, and as he approaches, you point him to "revier" in the live blind, where he'll find the decoy. then he has to bark and hold the decoy there till you arrive. ideally, he shouldn't be dirty in the blind (harrassing or "molesting" the decoy) cuz that'll lose you points. not sure if PSA trains to bite a suit or sleeve, but it's probably good for you to know that if he actually bites anywhere but the sleeve, they'll disqualify . . . once in the blind, the dog barks and holds for about 30 seconds, then you approach and call the dog into heel, allow the helper do exit the blind unmolested by the dog, and then there's a scenario in which the decoy attempts to "escape," and the dog has to stop him independently (no commands, i'm pretty sure, the dog is supposed to know what to do here) in 20 paces or less.

i think that's it for blind work on the SCH I . . . the rest is out on the field.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » October 3rd, 2008, 9:35 pm

Hmmmm...he'll probably run the blinds fairly easy....it's basically a redirect....for the bark and hold...what do I do if he doesn't bark? Cy was taught a silent guard....he's actually very clean in a sleeve, so I don't worry about that....

My only worry on the escape is that Cy is training for the Level 3's in PSA...where you need a very high level of control. We have been working very hard for him to realize that he MUST wait for a command from me...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to North East