Elec. Training collars

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby pblove » January 20th, 2006, 3:52 pm

I see so many negative opinions on these.
Here is my scenario, I cannot wear my dog out, it is physically impossible for me to do so.
In my county a treadmill, spring pole is illegal to have, can be charged with a felony.
I live on a very large farm, but will not let her run loose.
I have a small fenced in area for my dog,(approx. 40' X 100') but that is not enough for her to really let loose and have some fun. She gets bored in the yard, even with me out there devising games.
I take her for many walks, hiking on the weekends, but she is still not ready to come home.
I have been thinking if she had an e-collar, she could really enjoy the space back here.
I would not want to go to Petsmart and get one with a do it yourself video, so thought contact a trainer for advice/using one?
Any opinions / advice will be greatly appreciated.
pblove
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » January 20th, 2006, 3:55 pm

I have one for Ruby, and I love it. I actually refer to them as RTC's - Remote Training Collars.

Is your dog currently trained using positive only, or do you use compulsion for training? Have you ever used a prong collar?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pblove » January 20th, 2006, 4:02 pm

I started using a prong on here about 3-4 months ago.
We started out doing basic commands/basic obed. with clicker training.
She is awful with pulling for the first 15-20 minutres, then she will settle down and walk at the heel. But it is so much easier when we go out in the John Q with a prong.
She did pass her CGC so she knows when she cannot pull. just a little too anxious when we first start out.
pblove
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » January 20th, 2006, 4:15 pm

ok, if you are already used to the correct timing for a prong collar, an RTC is not a difficult transition.

First, get a good brand, and expect to pay at least $200. I have a Dogtra and I am very happy with it. I'd recommend getting one with a 'page' (vibrate) feature.

Test it on your arm, leg or neck so you know how it feels. Yes, I'm serious.

You then need to find the dog's working level, which can take some time. You start at 0 and slooooowly work your way up until the dog reacts to the correction. That is the level you will use for regular training and day to day use.

There are some BRUTAL training methods that are endorsed by some collar manufacturers and 'professional' trainers. If it makes you cringe when you read it, don't do it (obviously).

I have had Ruby's collar for a few years, and rarely ever use it above her working level, which happens to be about 20. In extremem circumstances you may need to use it much higher - as I did when Ruby decided to try to kill a friend's Ginuea hen - but most of the time your working level will be enough. Acutally, there are entire weekends when I don't have to hit the button at all. It's just an emergency backup plan.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » January 20th, 2006, 4:54 pm

I will be getting one.

I used to think they were wrong and cruel but when you actually read up on them and talk to someone like Michelle who uses them 'correctly' you begin to realize that they are just another tool you can use to teach your dog. :)
Romanwild
I live here

Postby pblove » January 20th, 2006, 5:19 pm

I really want my dog to be able to run and play on this farm, but not out of control.
If used correctly, I would think they are a great asset/ tool?
Roman, have you decided on which one you will be getting?
pblove
Just Whelped

Postby DemoDick » January 29th, 2006, 8:25 pm

I like Dogtra. Low profile recievers and they hold a charge for a long time. Plus they have good range for the money.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Karen » February 8th, 2006, 2:12 pm

pblove wrote:I see so many negative opinions on these.
Here is my scenario, I cannot wear my dog out, it is physically impossible for me to do so.
In my county a treadmill, spring pole is illegal to have, can be charged with a felony.
I live on a very large farm, but will not let her run loose.
I have a small fenced in area for my dog,(approx. 40' X 100') but that is not enough for her to really let loose and have some fun. She gets bored in the yard, even with me out there devising games.
I take her for many walks, hiking on the weekends, but she is still not ready to come home.
I have been thinking if she had an e-collar, she could really enjoy the space back here.
I would not want to go to Petsmart and get one with a do it yourself video, so thought contact a trainer for advice/using one?
Any opinions / advice will be greatly appreciated.

You're in MD and that happens to be the home of 3 very talented E-Collar trainers, Margot Woods, Lynda Kasheta (I think she's still there) and Dan Salb. Margot is awesome http://www.applewoodsdogtraining.com
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby mydawgs » February 26th, 2006, 10:12 am

My Lil is very good with the prong collar, she responds great for any obediance issues, but after several months of training when I use a prong on her around other dogs it appears to stim her aggression. After long and hard thought my trainer transitioned her to the e-collar BUT ONLY for inappropriate behavior around other dogs. My Lil is a very hard dog so she recovers quickly from correction, and only after 2 weeks of e-collar training so far when she sees another dog and IS NOT at the trainers house a long firm NOOOOoooo (which is what I use when she gets a ecollar correction) gets her to look at me and stay by my side. I always have her e-collar on when we go out and the prong, I only correct with the e-collar if my verbal fails. Where I live I cannot afford for her to show bad behavior, it is unsfe. Good luck.
mydawgs
Just Whelped

Return to Training & Behavior