Positive Training working well Thank You!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby rockermom » April 5th, 2006, 2:23 pm

In case you dont already know, Rocky and I have moved on to a new training style for us. Prior we completed beginner and most of Novice in a style that treats were not used. Only a choke or martingale with chian type collar with commands and a few good dogs.
Prior to becoming a member of this forum I was given advice from a member of this forum to consider changing the style of training I was in, due to Rocky's change in behavior and not wanting to participate in training class. She gave me some referals and Rocky and I switched to a new training class which uses clicker training. We started out in advanced beginner since Rocky already had basic and novice comands. Rocky and I have completed the advanced beginner. We are now in an intermediate class which involves at home and life situations. Rocky is quite happy in this style of training. His intelligence has shown up during these classes. He just loves shaping exercises which were not a part of the old style. Im not sure if all pit bull type dogs have such a working ability. But Rocky is something else. Working like a border collie he quickly figures out the task expected of him. I am proud of Rocky. One thing we will be working hard on is his pigginess of constantly searching for food on the floor when we are walking the room. But he is doing better than when we started. Im not sure how long I can afford to pay for these classes. But it was well worth what I have done so far. I wish I had done this from the start. Did not know about it and it sure was hard to pass up on our first classes at $40.00 for 8 wks. (got 50% discount for shelter dog). Wishing that I never took the Novice class, I am thankful that I had the opportunity to cross paths with someone familiar with the breed and some of the training oportunities in my area.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby pocketpit » April 5th, 2006, 6:42 pm

I'm so glad to hear that Rocky and you are so happy with the new training. It's difference can be amazing when you find what works for your dog :)
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Purple » April 5th, 2006, 8:09 pm

How great it is when you get that "aha" moment! Good for you and Rocky, I wish you continued success!
Purple
I live here

Postby Maryellen » April 5th, 2006, 8:10 pm

excellent!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » April 6th, 2006, 11:36 am

Thank You!
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby chance's mom » April 8th, 2006, 7:22 pm

glad to hear it, chance did very well with positive training as well. good for you guys!!
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Training & Behavior