Fruits/Veggies

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 8th, 2006, 1:07 pm

This morning I went to a local natural foods pet store I had found. Lady was great - she told me not to buy anything today but instead gave me about 8 samples of different high end kibbles - solid gold, innova, canidae, california natural, wolf cub, 2 kinds of pinnacle. I told her I was mainly thinking about the canidae and the innova. She actually recommended the canidae over the innova even though it's cheaper. She said the innova has a lot of fruits and veggies in it and is just too rich for some dogs. However, she did say it would be good to supplement any kibble with some fruits/veggies. So my question is (you knew I'd get there eventually!): what are some good fruits/veggies I can use as treats? And what are some I should avoid? Thanks!
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 8th, 2006, 1:08 pm

And oh yeah - I also got Inara her first bully stick! I had no idea what they were made of and almost choked when the lady told me they were "bull pizzles." So we bought a small one to see if Inara would even like it - she's been chewing on it non-stop for the last hour! Just wanted to share that. Bull pizzles. Who knew?
:|
pitbullmamaliz

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 8th, 2006, 1:33 pm

My dogs like bananas, grapes (yeah I know, there is some conflict as to whether or not grapes are toxic, I have never had an issue with the 10 or so at a time I give my dogs) apple slices, carrots. I grate broccoli into the raw, as well as carrots, spinach, zuccini.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby katiek0417 » April 8th, 2006, 3:16 pm

I try to stay away from Grapes (though I'll give one or two....like Jen, I've heard the debates....I just don't want to mess with anything...

As an FYI...Pinnacle is VERY good food....

But I use some bananas, shredded carrots, zucchini, squash....I also use cranberries (great for their bladder/urinary tract) and apples as treats....Baby carrots are also a good snack...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 8th, 2006, 4:06 pm

Is Pinnacle what you use? It's not one of the ones I had heard of before.
pitbullmamaliz

Postby katiek0417 » April 8th, 2006, 5:47 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Is Pinnacle what you use? It's not one of the ones I had heard of before.

I have used Pinnacle in the past. I typically use it as a mixer for raw (for the raw that doesn't have the supplements). I also use timberwolf. Those are the main 2 that I use as mixers.

I don't know if I like one over the other. Sacha's poop has been incredible on both. They both make "alternative" protein diets (which I need due to her food allergies).

The pet nutritionist recommended both as "excellent feed." I personally don't like Innova, mainly because it gave my kittens the WORST diarrhea (too rich). I know that should have nothing to do with my dogs, but I also wasn't thrilled with the puppy's poop on Evo. I haven't tried Pinnacle with the puppy, but, like I said, Sacha does great on it (and this is the dog I refer to as "diarrhea dog.")
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » April 8th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Which Innova? There are a few different foods.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 8th, 2006, 7:03 pm

Not sure - the sample she gave me is green, and just says Innova Dog Food, and it has the following ingredients listed on the front: turkey, chicken, brown rice, potatoes, apples, carrots, cottage cheese, alfalfa sprouts, eggs and garlic. Not sure if that helps or not...
pitbullmamaliz

Return to Nutrition & Health