dilemma at work.

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby call2arms » March 22nd, 2006, 1:49 pm

I know... And I find it super touchy to go and call some I don't know to tell her that.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby call2arms » March 27th, 2006, 1:11 pm

I still haven't reached the rescue person. I don't really want to email her, I'd rather have a talk...

And I'm getting more and more attached every time I go to work. I brought the dog a blanket today (he didn,t have any bedding) because his elbows are getting raw. He is the cuddliest dog I have ever met in my life... Why?
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby SamIAM » March 27th, 2006, 1:14 pm

I would try to talk the rescue into putting him down. Too many good APBTs in the world to try to work with one with a bite history.
SamIAM
Just Whelped

Postby call2arms » March 28th, 2006, 11:16 am

That's exactly what I'm trying to reach the rescue...
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Maryellen » March 28th, 2006, 11:23 am

ok, i dont understand, why is it so hard to contact the rescue? are they not returning your calls? or emails? if they are ignoring you, tell them you will have no problem suing them due to allowing an aggressive dog to be adopted out, and watch how fast they contact you..

if they are ignoring your calls about this dog then they are not reputable..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby call2arms » March 28th, 2006, 11:29 am

It's a one person rescue. That person obviously has a full-time job, and the times I have to call are pretty much in the working hours, because I don't work during the day. And I'd rather call than e-mail, I just feel uncomfortable emailing about this.

The rescue CANNOT be that reputable anyway if they're adopting out an aggressive pit bull. I'm just trying to make it right, not have the dog live the rest of his life miserable in a kennel, euth him while he's still happy...
[/i]
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Maryellen » March 28th, 2006, 11:30 am

if she is not returning your calls she is not reputable, i would try to get someone to call for you when the woman is home.. or send her a certified return receipt letter telling her she has X number of days to come get the dog and have him euthed..

see, if you do it she can hold you responsible for killing a dog that she could claim was fine.. its like a no win situation.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby call2arms » March 28th, 2006, 11:39 am

I am not going to euth this dog myself! He's not my responsibility, but my bosse's and the rescue's. I will contact that person at one point, I just have to find time to call in the right hours.

I don't think being aggressive and overly firm on this will get me anywhere, more likely the person will take the dog away from the kennel, and ignore me. That's what I would do if a nutcase I never spoke to sent me a letter telling me to euth a dog she dosen't even own.

You have to understand that the person thinks she's right by placing this dog again. Out of the "I want to save them all" syndrome, not by "not wanting to euth the dog", so it's not like it's a mean, horrible person. I will just try to make her understand that in this one situation, it's not right to do so.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby call2arms » April 5th, 2006, 3:01 pm

Update: I finally reached the rescue person.

I gave her my point of view, and she did not listen very well. She tried to tell me her behaviorist had assessed this dog, and that he had passed. Says the dog just needs to be socialized, and that since the cause of the bite hadn't been established (the ex-owners didn't cooperate) it was only a matter of working the dog, and that a the new family must be in touch with the behaviorist.

The dog's adoption is pending, he left the kennel on Friday for a weekend tryout, and isn't back yet. The new family (a woman and her daughter) are evry happy with him. Apparently they used to have a Chow that was people and dog-aggro. At least they may know how to react.

The rescue really clearly made me feel like it was none of my business and that they tought they knew what they were doing. I did what I could, and quite frankly I can only hope everything goes well for the dog and his new family in the future. This makes me sick.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby cheekymunkee » April 5th, 2006, 4:07 pm

You did what you could. :(
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby babyreba » April 5th, 2006, 6:59 pm

You did what a responsible person should do.

Thanks for trying to make this clear to the rescue and let's just hope this doesn't end badly for the dog or the people who adopted him.

Don't worry about the woman taking your information badly--that's pretty much what always happens when people who just don't get it get involved with the breed.

At least you can (and should!) sleep well knowing you didn't just stay silent about something you know wasn't quite right.

Thanks for being brave enough to at least try! I'm dealing with something similar here right now . . . a rescue with a pit bull dog that has a bite history but doesn't really see it as a problem . . . It's tough when people just don't see the bigger picture.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby call2arms » April 5th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Well, babyreba, thanks for your help... And good luck with that new situation.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby 04100824 » April 7th, 2006, 9:46 pm

Reno growls at poeple he doesn't know in the distance, but when they're close, he loves 'em all.

He doesn't have a bite histpry thoug, but you did admit yourself that the previous owners weren't cooperating and you weren't SURE that he'd bitten..

We're working with Reno on his growling, and he IS getting better. We took him to Spindletop and had him evaluated, and Leah said the same thing - he needs more confidence, training and socialization. He used to growl every time I walked him, and now it's maybe once or twice a month when he goes through his doggie PMS. He just has a few days wher he seems more vocal and bitchy than normal...? ::shrug::

He's never bitten, snapped or anything to dog or human once they get near him, though.
Confident Young Bully

Postby call2arms » April 8th, 2006, 5:56 pm

We were almost 100% sure he had bitten, he had drawn blood from what we were told, the owners just didn't confirm when they were contacted by the rescue, but that's what they said to my boss when they dropped off the dog.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby msvette2u » April 8th, 2006, 8:43 pm

call2arms wrote:Thank god you're understanding my situation.

You can understand it's even harder to do this when I don't even know for sure the dog has bitten.

See, the rescue person got a story of ''the dog growled at the son's girlfriend'' which has turned into ''the dog bit someone at the videoclub'' by the owners to my boss.

I'll have to clear this up as well when I talk to the rescue.

It's all fishy but he did growl at me, the first time he saw me. I know that for a fact and I know it's not proper temperament...

I've had dogs I impounded due to a human bite, and they became total marshmallows in the shelter. That's because in the shelter, I feed it, walk it (or at least let it out to play while I clean) and I am "GOD" to that dog. I'd never trust it with anyone else.
And, I'd still euthanize it because it bit someone. Period.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby msvette2u » April 8th, 2006, 8:46 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:You did what you could. :(

Yep it's out of your hands and any disasters that may occur are not on your head, at least! You may even want to document it somehow that you did the responsible thing.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby call2arms » April 9th, 2006, 2:21 pm

Bleh. There's a new one at the kennel. HE is very sound (as far as I can say) and he's there cause the owners couldn't housetrain him. F*CK... What's wrong with these people.

I haven't had news from the precedent marshmallow. I guess he's doing good for now.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk