What to Expect at a Weight Pull Event

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby maberi » September 11th, 2008, 2:55 pm

Hi All,

Kayden and I will be attending our first sanctioned (IWPA) event on Sept 27th and 28th. I have never been to a weight pull event so I'm not sure exactly what to expect.

Can anyone out there give a newbie some tips that might help? Things to remember, things to bring, how many pulls do you usually do in a day, etc...

I also understand food or any type of baiting cannot be used but can you treat your dog after you leave the pull area? (I know in tracking you can't have food within a certain distance of the field)
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby amazincc » September 11th, 2008, 3:01 pm

Things to remember - have fun, don't be nervous.
What to bring - treats for Kayden, beer for Matt.

I think it's an awesome idea, and I wish both of you LOTS of luck! :wink: :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby maberi » September 11th, 2008, 4:41 pm

Thanks Christine

No chance of me remaining calm though. I'm always a nervous nelly at these types of things

I still get nervous running Earl in flyball and he is like a robot at this point so I'm really not even needed
maberi

Postby amazincc » September 11th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Well... that's why the beer for Matt is an absolute necessity.
The rest will fall into place... you'll see. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » September 11th, 2008, 5:12 pm

Good Luck and have fun. :dance:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby ellie@ny » September 11th, 2008, 6:47 pm

maberi wrote:Hi All,

Kayden and I will be attending our first sanctioned (IWPA) event on Sept 27th and 28th. I have never been to a weight pull event so I'm not sure exactly what to expect.

Can anyone out there give a newbie some tips that might help? Things to remember, things to bring, how many pulls do you usually do in a day, etc...

I also understand food or any type of baiting cannot be used but can you treat your dog after you leave the pull area? (I know in tracking you can't have food within a certain distance of the field)

Hi Matt,first of all try to have fun,and enjoy your time with your dog!Everything else comes in second IMO.
It's good if you know the rules,they usually have a meeting before the pull,where you can ask your questions too.
Bring a chair,crate,water,/water spray bottle if the weather hot/etc...

About the food yes,when you leave the pull area,and you went back to the place where you're waiting for your next turn,you can treat your dog there.You cannot have treats-baits in your pocket etc.

Good luck,and have fun! :rock:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby ellie@ny » September 11th, 2008, 7:34 pm

Also watch the "big guns",you can learn a lot from them... :wink:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby dlynne1123 » September 11th, 2008, 7:44 pm

its not a bad idea to watch the big guns! learn the tricks! I learned to bring a towel to pulls on carpet to moisten your dogs feet right before your turn. Helps for traction...also don't trim her nails (unless they are ridiculous)....the sharper they are the better traction!

Also, relax, the more fun it is for your dog the more they'll want to do it next time! It makes it more fun for you too! Be prepared to weigh in on a harness...thats what they've done at UKC events....and keep an ear out during the handlers meeting at the beginning....

Good luck!

~Dani from Maine
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby maberi » September 11th, 2008, 10:08 pm

We have practiced quite a few weigh ins over the past few weeks so we should be ok there :wink:

Thanks for the tips everyone
maberi

Postby mnp13 » September 11th, 2008, 10:39 pm

Make sure you review the rules, I can't remember if you have been to a UKC pull or not, but there are small variations to the pull rules that can really screw you up.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Leslie H » September 12th, 2008, 8:01 pm

IWPA, no fouls, and last I heard, you can't call your dog until after you've crossed the line. The dog may have started pulling, but you can't pull or gesture (or touch of course).
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby maberi » September 13th, 2008, 5:49 am

Yes and thank god the dog can start pulling when you leave them. But yes, you are right, you cannot speak to or motion to your dog until after you cross the line. Luckily Kayden has a habit of following me when I leave so he begins to pull after me the moment I leave

Leslie H wrote:IWPA, no fouls, and last I heard, you can't call your dog until after you've crossed the line. The dog may have started pulling, but you can't pull or gesture (or touch of course).
maberi

Postby maberi » September 16th, 2008, 10:44 am

I noticed the IWPA has a rule about keeping dogs crated in a holding area. How much do they enforce this and can you keep your dog crated in your car? (with me sitting in it with them with the air on)

My concern is that Kayden will be so amped up since this is so new to him he will burn himself out in his crate in the holding area because of excitement/stress
maberi

Postby maberi » September 16th, 2008, 10:52 am

God, I have so many questions (sorry!!)

Rule 1 states the following

1.) Each dog shall be required to pull a loaded sled/ cart a measured sixteen (16) feet within 60 seconds. If the sled/cart is in continuous forward motion the dog shall be allowed to complete the pull and the actual time required to make the pull shall be recorded.

So if a dog is pulling and stops midway and thus the cart stops but the dog then pulls again and completes the pull, is this pull counted?
maberi

Postby TinaMartin » September 16th, 2008, 10:53 am

Have fun and ask a ton of questions. I had Gator at the Bullympics a few years back and let him give it a go. The people were great and never had a problem with giving me pointers and advice. I even got a running discussion during the dogs pulling from the experianced people on the sidelines. Gator did great on the cart and we had a lot of fun.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby mnp13 » September 16th, 2008, 11:52 am

maberi wrote:God, I have so many questions (sorry!!)

Rule 1 states the following

1.) Each dog shall be required to pull a loaded sled/ cart a measured sixteen (16) feet within 60 seconds. If the sled/cart is in continuous forward motion the dog shall be allowed to complete the pull and the actual time required to make the pull shall be recorded.

So if a dog is pulling and stops midway and thus the cart stops but the dog then pulls again and completes the pull, is this pull counted?

As it was explained to me, if the dog in in continuous forward motion but pulling very slowly the pull will still count if it takes longer than 60 seconds. If the dog starts, stops and then pulls again it will not get the exception to the over 60 second rule.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maberi » September 16th, 2008, 1:13 pm

Gotcha, thanks Michelle

Kayden has a habit of jumping at the beginning of the start which moves the cart just a few inches. I've been working with him a lot to get him to understand that jumping doesn't get the cart to move, lowering his head and pulling into the harness does, but he will still jump from time to time. I just wasn't sure if this was going to disqualify us
maberi

Postby mnp13 » September 16th, 2008, 1:21 pm

Well, you can work on that tonight, I bought the cart yesterday. Do you have a tire pump you could bring? I couldn't find mine and the tires aren't fully inflated.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maberi » September 16th, 2008, 1:23 pm

I do have a hand pump that I can bring (it is for bicycle tires so I'm not sure if it will work but I will bring it).

I also believe Heidi has an electric pump at work for pumping up balls that would work well. I will call her and ask her to bring it home.
maberi

Postby mnp13 » September 16th, 2008, 1:27 pm

yup, it's the bicycle tire / car tire kind of valve. I bought the cart, you and Kendell are responsible for weight. The cart holds up to 1,000 pounds.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Next

Return to Sports