Fingers Crossed, Four-Leaf Clovers, and the like...

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby katiek0417 » September 12th, 2008, 5:30 am

I think we are all aware of the power of good thoughts that come from this board. So, I was wondering if any of you had any to spare (I feel bad asking given all that everyone else is going through, and needs the good thoughts more than I do)....

This weekend is the PSA East Coast Regional event. Cy and I have been training every day on our own. Twice a week with Jerry Bradshaw. Cy looks better than he ever has (even Greg has said that he'd be afraid to go up against Cy and I with how good we are looking). And this weekend we will attempt to earn the first leg to our PSA Level 3, a very difficult title to obtain (I mentioned before that only 5 other dogs have earned their Level 3 titles).

You all know everything I've been through with Cy's medical issues - so to be where we are....well, I'm so proud of that boy...

So, everyone please keep your fingers crossed and send good thoughts towards MD tomorrow...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » September 12th, 2008, 5:33 am

We will definitely send some major winning vibes your way!!! :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 12th, 2008, 7:19 am

Oooh! You two can SO do this!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » September 12th, 2008, 9:36 am

Good thoughts being beamed your way...(bounce some back to us for flyball, please!)

:D
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby madremissy » September 12th, 2008, 9:43 am

Good luck and good thoughts coming your way. Katrina you know that you and Cy are cabable of doing this. Stay positive and have fun.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby SisMorphine » September 12th, 2008, 10:12 am

Lots of good thoughts for you two this weekend!!!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby katiek0417 » September 12th, 2008, 11:51 am

TheRedQueen wrote:Good thoughts being beamed your way...(bounce some back to us for flyball, please!)

I am beaming starting now!!!

Thank you everyone...I'm starting to get nervous right about now...panicked is more like it!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby BritneyP » September 12th, 2008, 1:05 pm

All fingers, toes and paws crossed! Wish we could be there!
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby babyreba » September 12th, 2008, 2:27 pm

good luck to you guys, i know you'll do great!!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby ellie@ny » September 12th, 2008, 5:25 pm

katiek0417 wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:Good thoughts being beamed your way...(bounce some back to us for flyball, please!)

I am beaming starting now!!!

Thank you everyone...I'm starting to get nervous right about now...panicked is more like it!

Drink something!You'll feel much better! :mrgreen:
Good luck!!! :)
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Leslie H » September 12th, 2008, 7:58 pm

Here's hoping all your effort pays off in a big way.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby pocketpit » September 13th, 2008, 1:24 am

Fingers crossed, and good thoughts headed your way!
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » September 13th, 2008, 7:35 pm

I'll write more tomorrow....he bombed obedience (bit during a very tough first scenario where the other dog also bit), but smoked the bitework!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby LaylaWoobie » September 13th, 2008, 7:36 pm

yay! CONGRATULATIONS! :bounce:
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 13th, 2008, 8:38 pm

Woo hoo!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby madremissy » September 13th, 2008, 8:44 pm

Way to go Katrina and Cy. :confetti:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby katiek0417 » September 14th, 2008, 3:49 pm

So....we did it! We didn't get a leg to our title...but we took first place despite going up against a very seasoned and good handler and dog team.

Obedience was a mess. Both Cy and the other competitor's dog bit right at the start.

In the Level 2's, there is a bite scenario which consists of a 2-man attack. In this scenario, 2 decoys come charging at you full blast, your dog has to bite 1 of them.

Well, yesterday, in the obedience of the Level 3's, We were told to start at the start cone facing away from the decoys, we were told to turn around, then 2 decoys would do a simulated 2-man attack. Our dogs WERE NOT allowed to bite. However, both Cy and Paris (the other dog) have done the 2's many times - they know the scenario. The action started and both broke and bit. I followed exactly what Jerry said, but Jerry told me not to feel bad that Cy broke - he said there are few dogs that would've gotten through that, and it's something to work on.

So, going into the bitework, we both had 0's!

We came out for the handler's meeting for bitework, we went through the scenarios. I simply looked at Jerry (who came out with me for the handler's meeting) wondering how in any reality I was going to get my dog through the scenarios. Well, he gave me some good advice, told me exactly what to do.

The first scenario was very similar to one that we TJ and I did last year. I had to send my dog down for a muzzle attack, I had to run down there, get my dog and remove his muzzle, at which time the decoy was going to come down to the area where I started, I had to then send my dog and do a call-off. Well, I sent my dog downfield, and he got full points on the muzzle attack. He went in hard, and did a beautiful attack. I started to run down there, and Cy started to come back to me, so we lost points. I got him under control, and faced him the other way as the decoy went down to where I started. I took Cy's muzzle off, faced him in the direction of the decoy, and sent him. I got him downfield, then gave his call off command, he turned around and came flying back to the heel position. We passed that scenario: 52/60.

The second scenario had a van (a big one) and a truck facing each other with about 7 feet separating them. There was a decoy behind each. They were going to pop out and talk. I was supposed to send my dog from about 15 feet away, around one of the vehicles into a guard. If he bit there, I would 0 the exercise. While he was guarding, the other decoy was going to start walking towards the one who was being guarding. As soon as he became visible, I had to tell my dog to bite the decoy he was guarding (remember, I couldn't see my dog). The decoy he was guarding was completely passive. If Cy bit the other decoy (the one he wasn't guarding) I would 0 the exercise. When Cy bit, the decoy who was coming towards him would say "screw that" and walk back to where he started. I had to call my dog back to me. I then had to send my dog around the other car to bite the other decoy (the one he didn't guard the first time). It was a mandatory out and guard, then remote transport back to me. And if I left the start cone, I would 0 the exercise. Cy has had a ton of trouble going into guards and taking that bite on a passive decoy from the guard. He has also had trouble with directionals (which the second bite was b/c I had to send him in a specific direction). Well,he did it. Beautifully. Score: 54/60.

Third scenario. Three decoys fighting. I was to send my dog on the three, and he had to bite one. When he was in the grip, one of the other 2 would flee, the other one would take a seat in a chair off to the side. I had to recall the dog to me, then re-direct on the passive decoy sitting in the chair. Mandatory out and guard. Again, Cy did it beautifully. I did lose points b/c it took 2 commands to get him to bite the decoy in the chair. But he did it. Score 52/60.

Last scenario. Three decoys placed in the shape of a triangle (with the long side facing me). I had to send my dog into a guard on the decoy on the left. Then it was a remote transport back to me. I then had to send my dog to bite the one on the right, then mandatory out and guard, then remote transport back to me. Finally, I had to send my dog to the one in the middle for a call off. If he bit the guy in the middle at any time, he would 0 the exercise. I couldn't get him to guard the first guy (he was just confused on where to go), so I walked him up and placed him in the guard. I was told this was very smart handling as I was still able to get points in other places. I did the remote transport back, then sent him to bite the other guy. He did that just fine. However, he started to come back to me on the transport. I cut him off, and took him back and made him transport back to me. Then he did the call off. Score 42/60.

Well, I went first. It came down to Don and Paris. Paris bit on the first send in the 2nd scenario which resulted in an automatic 0. Then he blew the 4th scenario. I came out on top and took first place.

I was later told by Jerry how proud he was of me for handling Cy better than he's ever seen me handle...

Now we start preparing for Nationals! Pics to come!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby BritneyP » September 14th, 2008, 6:16 pm

HUUUUGE Congrats!!! :dance:
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ellie@ny » September 14th, 2008, 7:24 pm

Congrats Katrina and Cy!!!That's awesome!!! :clap:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Return to Sports