1 year old, 35 lb pit needs home

Postby MyDogPhantom » September 1st, 2008, 8:06 pm

amazing with people, but needs to be an only dog. see link for pix and bio

http://www.pittieloverescue.com/Adoptab ... Blaze.html
Britney

Trooper, APBT (looking for a working/sport home)
Phantom, Boxer
Lita, Boxer
Capone, Dogo
MyDogPhantom
Just Whelped

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » September 6th, 2008, 11:42 pm

Oh my goodness, he is CUTE!!
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby dlynne1123 » September 7th, 2008, 7:00 pm

Its too bad they wouldn't adopt him to a home with other dogs.....with the right people that could be worked around.....its a shame....looks like hed be a great working dog and agility dog. I bet he'd love weight pull too! I'd love to have him....I love small pitties but I already have two....and they've house manners to not fight....With the right attention and goals he'd not worry about getting aggressive with other dogs
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » September 7th, 2008, 7:01 pm

That kissing photo is adorable!!!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby BritneyP » September 11th, 2008, 12:46 pm

dlynne1123 wrote:Its too bad they wouldn't adopt him to a home with other dogs.....with the right people that could be worked around.....its a shame....looks like hed be a great working dog and agility dog. I bet he'd love weight pull too! I'd love to have him....I love small pitties but I already have two....and they've house manners to not fight....With the right attention and goals he'd not worry about getting aggressive with other dogs

You know, you may be right. However, you may not. The purpose of a rescue organization is not to determine who would or would not be the "right" people to work around situations like this. Unfortunately, this isn't some case where some joe-schmo irresponsible dog owner let their dogs get into fights all the time. This dog was the product of irresponsible dog owners breeding two extremely DA dogs. The puppies where then turned over to a rescue and where adopted out at 7-8 weeks old. The pups were properly raised and socialized in their respective homes, yet, 3 of this dog's siblings have also since been returned to the rescue for unprovoked DA. This particular dog has started fights with every single other dog in the house that he lives with, all of whom he was raised with since 7 weeks old.

It's not appropriate for people to always think they can "fix" this type of situation. Unless you're just going to crate and rotate for the rest of the dog's life.
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SisMorphine » September 11th, 2008, 1:29 pm

BritneyP wrote:It's not appropriate for people to always think they can "fix" this type of situation. Unless you're just going to crate and rotate for the rest of the dog's life.

Hey. Wanna make out?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby amazincc » September 11th, 2008, 2:17 pm

Great post, Britney... when you're done making out w/Sis, come look me up. :wink: :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby MyDogPhantom » September 11th, 2008, 5:18 pm

make out x 3. thank you.
Britney

Trooper, APBT (looking for a working/sport home)
Phantom, Boxer
Lita, Boxer
Capone, Dogo
MyDogPhantom
Just Whelped

Postby BritneyP » September 11th, 2008, 5:21 pm

I would like to thank all the little people I stepped on to get here.

:wink:

And Sis, it is always my pleasure. :mrgreen:
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » September 11th, 2008, 6:11 pm

BritneyP wrote:I would like to thank all the little people I stepped on to get here.

Thanks for not leaving a foot print on my butt.

:giggle:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby dlynne1123 » September 12th, 2008, 10:37 am

I understand what a rescues job is as I've fosters left and right for these same dogs. I am not saying that teh majority of the population can handle a truly bred DA dog but I know of a few homes that could and could 'fix' the dog. And thats not crate and rotate! Its proper training and focus. I've taken one dog labeled to be euth and got him (after 6 monthes of modification training) getting along with 3 other dogs in the home. He needed this or he would be dead. I couldn't garuntee the person would never come across another dog. Part of that training and education should still come along with the dog, not just give up and avoid all dogs all together. Life is not dogless for most people! The adoptive family will eventually come across a dog and what do they do? Never walk them? Never take them anywhere? Is that better than behavior mod or crate and rotate? A bedroom dog?

I'm simply saying each case is individual and we try to see it that way. If the perfect person came along with another dog but had previous experience and had the $$ for behavior mod and the energy to do it we would rather have them with the dog than a person with no knowledge of the breed who promises to never have around other dogs. (this is the extremest scenario and thats a tough promise to make) I'm not doubting the rescues b/c I try my hardest everyday to find that right home for these dogs too. It is a safer bet but I've seen people have a pittie at their finger tips for years and never realize what they have until that ONE incident. I just wish some rescues would see the exceptions to the rule rather than blatantly avoid that one right person with another dog.

Great job to the shelters and rescues! They do their damdest to place these dogs, it was simply a statment, not an insult.
Ryder - Rescue APBT
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby BritneyP » September 12th, 2008, 1:16 pm

I see what you mean, as I myself am not a huge fan of rescues who feel they are "holier than thou", but on the same token, yes, I do feel it's MUCH safer for the dog in question, other dogs and potentially humans (possibly getting harmed breaking up a fight) if the dog went to a home with no other dogs. That would ensure that the new owners would be able to dedicate as much time as possible to training only this dog to help control his issues. Which, in turn, would absolutely allow them to take the dog out in public, on walks, etc without an issue. Unfortunately the majority of people rescues are adopting to are your average dog owner, so I'd much rather see the dog go to a loving home that can work with him with no other dogs, than wait for an undetermined length of time before he finds that "perfect", highly-experienced home with other dogs.
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SisMorphine » September 12th, 2008, 1:20 pm

BritneyP wrote:I see what you mean, as I myself am not a huge fan of rescues who feel they are "holier than thou", but on the same token, yes, I do feel it's MUCH safer for the dog in question, other dogs and potentially humans (possibly getting harmed breaking up a fight) if the dog went to a home with no other dogs. That would ensure that the new owners would be able to dedicate as much time as possible to training only this dog to help control his issues. Which, in turn, would absolutely allow them to take the dog out in public, on walks, etc without an issue. Unfortunately the majority of people rescues are adopting to are your average dog owner, so I'd much rather see the dog go to a loving home that can work with him with no other dogs, than wait for an undetermined length of time before he finds that "perfect", highly-experienced home with other dogs.

Plus we have to remember that the guidelines rescues have in place are for JQP, but many rescues are willing to bend those guidelines for an experienced home.

In the case of this dog his foster momma and the rescue know exactly when they're dealing with since they've seen it multiple other times with pups from this same litter, and I'm sure they're just looking to make sure that he makes it into a permanent home and doesn't have to be rehomed again, and if they know that the reason he needs to move on is due to his severe DA, then the best way to do that is to say "no other dogs." Personally I don't see the issue. :|
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby BritneyP » September 12th, 2008, 4:24 pm

SisMorphine wrote: Personally I don't see the issue. :|

Ditto. Because too many people think they're "experts" and can easily "fix" an issue like this, and low and behold, the dog has to be re-homed yet AGAIN. This is what the rescues are trying to avoid. As much as I might really like a dog that's in a rescue situation, as a trainer and someone who's been involved in rescues, I'm not going to question their motives for placing the dog as an "only" dog.
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » September 12th, 2008, 4:44 pm

I would like to think that any reputable rescue will put the health and well-being of their dogs first and foremost... and since they try to place dogs in permanent homes I think they made a good call on this particular dogs behalf.
They already know what doesn't work for him... so why not be realistic and work with, and for, him? :)

I hope he finds a good home ASAP.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby dlynne1123 » September 12th, 2008, 5:50 pm

I have worked with and no longer will, shelters that are working on turnover rather than the well being of the dogs long term relationships. I've seen horrible first impressions of people denied a pittie pup b/c of how they acted that day (blatant temper tantrum b/c their dogs at home weren't neutered), then weeks later get another puppy from the same shelter. Unfortunately it was another pittie mix pup. I only think, 'where will this poor pup be with this punk in a few years?'

By no means is this rescue situation like that, but these are the poor examples of rescues that I deal with in maine. We don't even have bully breed education for volunteers so people either see the dog and run the other way or think they are adopting a really muscular poodle with short hair.....it aggravates me sometimes. ( We are working on this too by the way with our local shelters to educate the staff and adoptees)

We had a client horrified that her dog was catching and killing ground hogs...!!! She had no idea what pit bulls were bred for or what they can do....The dog was so happy and proud of itself...like a cat with its mouse....wagging its tail....looking for the next one......she returned the dog and they euthanized it due to unpredictable aggression and we all know......"'once they kill animals they'll get aggressive with kids and people'"........sheesh....Unpredictable...as if! If my dog killed this damned ground hog in my garden i'd be pleased! (sorry, morbid humor but i hate ground hogs) And I certainly wouldn't be surprised by its prey drive.

Just venting now.....I hope the puppy finds a great long term home!
Ryder - Rescue APBT
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby KJS » September 13th, 2008, 4:54 am

I would rather the shelter here thought about the merits of the particular dog and the merits and experience of the potential adopter...I have been flat out refused ANY dog from St .Truiden because he knows from my app. form that I have a Pit Bull...all the other dogs he cares not a jot about...my experience and commitment to lifetime re-homing makes not a bit of difference to him..the references from the people at the other shelters we have adopted from are useless....he basically told my Husband that we could come back and see him when Doom was dead :mad2:
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby gmorales » September 13th, 2008, 7:08 pm

MyDogPhantom wrote:amazing with people, but needs to be an only dog. see link for pix and bio

http://www.pittieloverescue.com/Adoptab ... Blaze.html

I just spent the last hour visiting the pics on rainbow bridge. I am still crying...
Cyclops Mama

Pookie - 7 yr.old F-cat runs the home with an iron paw
Cyclops - Pitbull: My little boy
Hercules:1 1/2 yr. old rott; Daddys boy
Spider:1 1/2 yr old feline thinks he is a dog
"What lies behind us & what lies before us are tiny
matters compared to what lies within us."
gmorales
Just Whelped

Return to Rescue