Wanted children to "learn to kill"

Postby madremissy » August 30th, 2008, 1:23 am

Some people should not be allowed to have children.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/29/cat.stabbing.ap/index.html

MUNCIE, Indiana (AP) -- A man was sentenced to 18 months in prison after admitting that he forced his 7-year-old daughter to kill the family cat by holding a knife in her hand and making her stab the pet.

"I am extremely sorry for what I did," Danield J. Collins said during his sentencing Thursday. "Everything is my responsibility."

Collins, 39, pleaded guilty to a felony count of animal cruelty and two felony counts of neglect of a dependent. In exchange, prosecutors dropped three other felony charges.

"This is not civilized conduct," Judge Robert Barnet Jr. said as he sentenced Collins.

Under the plea agreement, Collins must receive counseling and attend parenting classes and substance abuse treatment. The judge also prohibited Collins from owning a pet.

Collins was arrested March 13 after police said he forced his daughter to stab Boots, the family's 8-month-old cat. The girl and Collins' 11-year-old son said their father ordered them to stab the cat because he wanted them to "learn to kill."

Police said the boy tried to hide the cat from his father, but Collins found the animal and strangled it as his children watched.

Collins said he was intoxicated at the time and remembered little about what happened that day.

Deputy Prosecutor Judi Calhoun said she was outraged by the crime but agreed to the plea deal so that the children would not have to testify against their father.

Defense attorney Steve Bruce said Collins, a Navy veteran, has no previous felony convictions.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby iluvk9 » August 30th, 2008, 8:42 am

You have GOT to be kidding. :x I hope those children are going to receive court mandated counseling.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » August 30th, 2008, 8:56 am

What really bothers me about this type situation is that the children are not removed from the idiot. Why can't the courts do something like making the father leave the home until someone can certify he is not a danger to the kids? Who's to say he won't make them stab one another next?

This kind of thing just makes my blood boil.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby cheekymunkee » August 31st, 2008, 12:36 am

This is ONE of the most disgusting things I have ever heard
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby CinderDee » August 31st, 2008, 12:41 am

That is so horrible. :nono:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby amazincc » August 31st, 2008, 1:31 am

The judge also prohibited Collins from owning a pet.

But he gets to "keep" the kids... that sort of thing boggles my mind. :bs:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Robin B » September 10th, 2008, 12:55 pm

This is soo wrong and the kids need to be safe....who knows what this wazzock(not hes not as that's an insult to wazzocks) is capible of or what he can claim to be incapable of remembering further on down the road or in the future.
Robin B
Confident Young Bully

Postby Jenn » September 10th, 2008, 10:00 pm

:sad2: Those poor kids, and cat too of course. :nono:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Return to All the news that's fit to print