Groomers and Pretend Groomers...look here

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby iluvk9 » September 5th, 2008, 5:36 pm

I was thinking about getting that cheaper version of the furminator, that Michelle posted.

Here are Astro's butt shots. :) Just keep in mind, that I had to cut knots out with a scissor. He had them behind his ears, too. :( I am able to use a brush and comb on his butt. There are no knots, but I wasn't sure if I should take out all that extra white fur. :|

He can't go to a professional groomer because, well, because he is Astro.

Ignore the purplish skin on his left leg. He had a skin infection but it is cleared up and hair is growing nicely.

Truman has the patience of a Saint. Astro is eating his leg.

I tried to make it "even" going vertical. :dance:

iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » September 5th, 2008, 5:45 pm

It looks like you should be able to use a slicker brush on his hiney and gently pull all that white hair out. Or, try a steel comb and see if the hair comes out easily. It is kinda hard to tell without actually seeing him, though.

This is the type of comb I'm talking about:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby hey21jude » September 5th, 2008, 5:52 pm

Marinepits wrote:It looks like you should be able to use a slicker brush on his hiney and gently pull all that white hair out. Or, try a steel comb and see if the hair comes out easily. It is kinda hard to tell without actually seeing him, though.

This is the type of comb I'm talking about:

Ditto to that. Removing excess undercoat with regular brushing is the key to preventing knots/matting. :wink:
Save the Pit Bull... Save the World.
hey21jude
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » September 5th, 2008, 6:26 pm

yeah the steel comb works pretty good on the goldens I've tried it on at work...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » September 5th, 2008, 6:43 pm

:dance: Okay! I have one of those! I do brush him two times a day. Once for the fur, and once because I use it as a reward. He loves it. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » September 6th, 2008, 1:50 am

:giggle:

Have you figured out the feet and tail and face trimming yet? You wouldn't think Goldens were all that high-grooming (if you didn't own one) but from my experience the ARE! :shock:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » September 6th, 2008, 1:01 pm

I prefer undercoat rakes for my guys...goes right through the fur and pulls out the undercoat...keeps them from shedding out large quantities. :) Lovely for butt fur...keeps it mat free, and sleeker.

"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » September 6th, 2008, 1:36 pm

I am having rather good luck with my metal comb. Lots of tufts of undercoat are coming out.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pocketpit » September 6th, 2008, 1:38 pm

Well that makes sense because he doesn't have any long butt fur left. When it grows back the undercoat rake will work a lot better and be a lot faster for you. The undercoat rake will become one of your best friends :D
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » September 6th, 2008, 1:39 pm

pocketpit wrote:Well that makes sense because he doesn't have any long butt fur left. When it grows back the undercoat rake will work a lot better and be a lot faster for you. The undercoat rake will become one of your best friends :D

AH! Thanks!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Beth » September 6th, 2008, 5:54 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:I prefer undercoat rakes for my guys...goes right through the fur and pulls out the undercoat...keeps them from shedding out large quantities. :) Lovely for butt fur...keeps it mat free, and sleeker.

This looks like exactly what I need for Rifle. Where can I get one (at a reasonable price)?
Mom to
Blaze 3/17/93 - 3/30/07
Onyx b 3/7/99
Duchess b 3/12/02 r 9/18/02
Rifle b 12/1/02 r 8/8/03
Diamond b 5/3/05 a 8/3/05
Luka r 5/16/07
Dixie b 10/20/06 a 4/1/08
Beth
Enlightened Bully

Postby airwalk » September 6th, 2008, 6:35 pm

Beth wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:I prefer undercoat rakes for my guys...goes right through the fur and pulls out the undercoat...keeps them from shedding out large quantities. :) Lovely for butt fur...keeps it mat free, and sleeker.

This looks like exactly what I need for Rifle. Where can I get one (at a reasonable price)?

Beth I have one and with Charlie's passing don't need it - if you send an address I'll mail it to you.
airwalk
I live here

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members