Fleas

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 3rd, 2006, 3:30 pm

OMG! I lived on a commune once, and my housemate was having flea issues. I never got bit, only her. So she spreads this diatomacious earth everywhere, floors, doorways, stairs. I refused to let her in my room with the stuff, so she put a huge pile in front of my door. Of course, the whole house was old wood floors filled with cracks, and she was sweeping the white powder for weeks! She never did get it all out of the cracks. Then to add insult to injury, she had picked the wrong kind of powder, and it didn't do a thing!

She was a wing nut. Course so was I back then!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Jenn » April 3rd, 2006, 3:43 pm

I've never heard of the stuff, but I'm interested! Can you purchase it at a hardware store or internet order only?
Fleas are horrible here, and my dogs stay on Frontline Plus year round for the most part. I have missed a month or two in previous years, but have to stay on top of it especially in the summer months. Year before last (I believe) it was horrible! Despite the year round Frontline treatment, I had to spray my yard, bomb my house ~ EVERYTHING! I was mortified, and struggled to keep them gone. I can't remember how much money I had to spend that year.
I'm worried again this year, it's not been cold. Maybe one or two days and a couple of baby freezes during the night, otherwise it wasn't "cold".. I'm sure the mosquitos will be carrying us away, and I'm hoping that I won't have to deal with fleas again! I'll do everything it takes to not have to go through that again!

What is the garlic treatment?
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » April 3rd, 2006, 3:57 pm

I give the dogs each a clove of garlic almost every day. I had no fleas ( just came off of Frontline) when I started & last year had NO fleas. I skip a day or two a week so they don't get it every day. And they HATE it so I have to sneak it into their food. I cut into slivers & slide it under the skin of whatever I am feeding them that day. Or I put it in their yogurt.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » April 3rd, 2006, 4:36 pm

mine have gotten a clove every day for a week, i just found a tick on jesse's ear.. no clue where it came from, as i had jamie rip all the bushes out of the ground by the fence... now i have to look all over again outside...grrrrr..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 6th, 2006, 11:11 pm

I found 1 pound of food grade plus one pound of brewer's yeast for $4.50 o Ebay!!!!!

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmjt*QQhtZ-1
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health