Did you ever think

Ask questions about Animal Control situations and local laws. Several of our members are ACOs and we'll try our best to help you! Please note: this area is not for "bashing" Animal Control Officers.

Postby nicole » September 2nd, 2008, 9:56 pm

This is so heart breaking...I can't imagine how someone could ever live with themselves after doing such a thing :cry:
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby gmorales » September 2nd, 2008, 11:37 pm

airwalk wrote:That last evening when you pulled up to the shelter to abandon you dog that you were doing more than simply walking away from your best friend?

Did you think that when you tied this senior Rottweiler with very severe hip dysplasia to the tree that you were relegating him to a night on the cold, hard ground where his hip would get more sore?

Did you wonder how he panicked as he saw your car drive away?

Did you sleep well last evening wondering if he was watching for your car to come back and get him?

Did you wonder how frightened he was this morning when I arrived at work and he didn't know who I was?

Did you think that maybe between his fear and bewilderment and pain that it might be very hard to get him off the tree? Did you realize that if he had bitten me when I tried to unclip him that he would have had to suffer through quarantine? Did you realize you might be putting someone else in danger because YOUR best friend didn't know what to let me do?

Did you hope that we would be extra kind and find a way to get him untied without having to use a ketch pole on him?

Did you sleep well last evening knowing that your good friend with his bad skin and sore hips would be shivering by this morning?

Did you sleep well knowing that you had left him in a shelter that is already too full and with his age and health may not ever leave the shelter? Or was that your way of avoiding your responsibility to make the final loving decision for him?

Did you hope we would be kind and would offer him a warm, dry, place with a soft bed to spend the next 7 days while you tried to forget you just abandoned your best friend?

If you slept well last night, shame on you..because he didn't. If you forgot him today while you went about your daily life, shame on you, because he's been looking for you all day.

If you hoped we would be kind and take good care of him and get him off the tree without causing him stress and we would feed him good food and clean water and provide him with a comfy bed to pad his old bones...then you were right..we did.

Shame on you.

This is beautiful, you had me crying; are you an ACO? I wish we had ACO's like this where I live.
Cyclops Mama

Pookie - 7 yr.old F-cat runs the home with an iron paw
Cyclops - Pitbull: My little boy
Hercules:1 1/2 yr. old rott; Daddys boy
Spider:1 1/2 yr old feline thinks he is a dog
"What lies behind us & what lies before us are tiny
matters compared to what lies within us."
gmorales
Just Whelped

Postby KJS » September 3rd, 2008, 3:32 am

I wonder....if the kind of people who would do this are scared away by the posted signs, what will happen to the animals? Will they then be dumped on the side of a road, in a park, etc.
It just sucks.

I would wonder about that too...and personally I would not post the signs...if you are sneaking about trying to dump your dog or cat or box of kittens you dont deserve to know you are being watched...and you do deserve the hard justice that should come to you...sometimes theres no time to wait for Karma to catch them up...you know?
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby airwalk » September 3rd, 2008, 3:50 pm

I manage a County ACO, thank you for asking.

Unfortunately, for all kinds of legal reasons, when you put someone under video survelliance you typically have to tell them they are; however, we don't have an exterior camera system and our surrounding area is so large that even if we did it would be very easy to elude it, so it would simply make people less likely to at least leave food and water and the animal securely tied.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Marinepits » September 3rd, 2008, 4:01 pm

Diana, what can you (in your state) actually charge them with if you catch them?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby airwalk » September 3rd, 2008, 4:54 pm

Marinepits wrote:Diana, what can you (in your state) actually charge them with if you catch them?

If you can catch them in the act...and you can get the cooperation of the local PD...and you can get the cooperation of the DA, they can be charged with Animal Abandonment. It's a class B misdeamenor
airwalk
I live here

Postby Marinepits » September 3rd, 2008, 5:10 pm

Let me guess -- a $50 fine and no time? :rolleyes2:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby katiek0417 » September 3rd, 2008, 10:44 pm

Diana, I don't know how you do it...I don't tihnk I could have enough strength to be able to do what you do...the animals should be thankful that they have you (and others on this board that fight for their rights).
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Previous