Rabies Question

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby a-bull » April 6th, 2006, 10:30 am

I hope this hasn't already been covered.

I have a question:

Why, if your pet has been vaccinated for rabies, do you need to get a "booster" everytime they have a bite of unknown origin??

I have a cat that sneaks out now & then, and he's a scrapper. Everytime I've had to bring him to the vet due to possible fight injuries, he has had to have a rabies "booster." Apparently this is the law in Mass., but why??

Why isn't the yearly (or every three year) rabies vaccine sufficient???

This can't be good for out pets . . .
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » April 6th, 2006, 12:11 pm

It could have been a bat, or raccoon or something with a high liklihood of rabies. Due to the fact rabies is always 100% fatal to the animal and any human(s) it could infect, it is better to be safe than sorry :|
There has been like one known survivor of rabies, she was in a medically induced coma for a month or something like that. (I'll google that and post it shortly)

(http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/200 ... ivor_x.htm)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 6th, 2006, 12:15 pm

It is a law here in Texas as well. It is a precaution. NO vaccine is 100% guarantee that the dog will not get the disease it is being vaccinated against.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » April 6th, 2006, 4:51 pm

yes and the benefits associated with "over vaccinating" for rabies definately outweigh any risks that could be involved.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » April 6th, 2006, 4:54 pm

Makes sense.

Thanks you guys!!

I guess kitty will just need to quit sneaking out and brawling . . . little bugger . . . :evil:
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health