Denver should target dangerous animals, not an entire breed

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » August 28th, 2008, 12:57 pm

Denver should target dangerous animals, not an entire breed

Rocky Mountain News
Thursday, August 28, 2008

Some laws, even if crafted with the best intentions of public safety in mind, just belong in the doghouse.

Denver's ban on pit bull ownership within city limits is a reaction to those dogs who have been raised to act violently. And if a dog - no matter what the breed - causes harm to a person, then it's within the city's right to protect the community.

But a blanket ban under which officials can seize a pooch based on whether it looks like it has characteristics of an American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier or Staffordshire Bull Terrier is unfair - because most of the animals are clearly not violent.

Consider what happened to Forrest, a mixed breed slated for euthanasia after the young dog had escaped twice from its Commerce City owner and was later picked up in Denver. Forrest hadn't attacked anyone. The dog even got its name, said owner Chris McGahey, because its mild-mannered temperament reminded McGahey of Tom Hanks' title character Forrest Gump.

Whereas too many owners abandon their pets (hence crowding at shelters in the first place), McGahey should be commended for hiring lawyers and working to save the pooch that he'd adopted when the pup was just a month old.

True, the fact that dog owners are warned after their canine is picked up once should have spurred McGahey to take greater responsibility to ensure Forrest didn't escape again. But escape he did, and the ball was in Denver's court. After the city claimed it was in the right in slating Forrest for destruction, McGahey and supporters sprang into action with a Sunday protest outside the Denver Municipal Animal Shelter on Jason Street.

The next day, the city relented and began crafting a deal to release Forrest to the Best Friends mega-sanctuary in Utah, which will then drive the dog to St. Louis. Under the agreement that was still tentative Wednesday evening, the dog would be put up for adoption, and McGahey would never see Forrest again.

Luckily, as a nonviolent animal who happens to be of the wrong breed, Forrest benefited from a protest and deluge of public sentiment that saved his life. Animal Care and Control Director Doug Kelly said Wednesday, though, that Forrest's case has spurred a city policy change. They'll now be getting bullish on the banned breed: Rather than be subject to a lethal injection, the dogs will be deported to an approved rescue organization in another state.

But the ban has left a sad legacy. In 2005, when it went back into effect after legal wrangling, more than 1,000 pit bulls were picked up; 726 of those were euthanized. The next year, 727 of 952 pit bulls were put to sleep. And last year, 215 of the 355 pit bulls taken into animal control's custody were killed.

Forrest's case should serve as a catalyst for Denver to not only change its policy on lethal injections but to rethink its breed-specific ban altogether - and repeal it.
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby airwalk » August 28th, 2008, 2:15 pm

So could someone tell me please where these sanctuaries are that have never ending space...I've got a really nice boy right now that I'm afraid we aren't going to be able to find a home for. Actually I have at least two

Meet Woodrow - likes other dogs (neutered males or females) doesn't mind kitties, loves his kong, loves his tennis ball, is learning to walk on lead and is generally a really big lap dog

*I can't get my pics here they are too big -

http://www.clackamas.us/dogs/adoptpet.php

Oh and Christopher - calm ,affectionate, quiet, housebroken, generally a very good dog

so please someone send me a link to the sanctuaries!

Sorry - for highjacking this - I really am glad that Denver is beginning to rethink their ban and are starting to look for a better way.
airwalk
I live here

Postby BigDogBuford » August 28th, 2008, 2:51 pm

Here you go:

And all cleaned up!

Let's spring Woodrow...what a nice boy!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » August 28th, 2008, 4:06 pm

Awww, such a handsome dude! I hope he finds a good home soon!

Forgot to add the link, by the way: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2 ... ls-not-an/
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby airwalk » August 28th, 2008, 4:11 pm

Kat, thank you. He is a doll!
airwalk
I live here

Postby BigDogBuford » August 28th, 2008, 4:49 pm

airwalk wrote:Kat, thank you. He is a doll!

I still think you should name him "Nubbins"!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby airwalk » August 28th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Will you take him if I do....if so consider it done!
airwalk
I live here

Postby airwalk » September 1st, 2008, 11:56 am

I have a question and I know it's completely highjacking this thread - so Mods if you want to split...I just can't move the pictures very easily.

Woodrow's teeth all appear to have been actually filed down. My first thought when I saw his teeth was perhaps he'd been a rock chewer, but I don't think so now. They are very even and they appear to have all been filed down including his canines (which are a very nice even and equal size).

Why would anyone do that? Has anyone ever heard of this before, because I'm at a loss, this is the first time we've seen this.

By the way - I got to spend some time with him yesterday - I'd bet he's close to 8 and has some old bone things going on, but he loves to chase a frisbee and tennis ball - he just won't give them back, although, he's perfectly okay with you "trying" to get them back. Trying is in quotes, because good luck, the boy has jaws.
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » September 1st, 2008, 12:12 pm

Diana, I have not clue why people do anything the dogs. Do you think he was a bait dog or something. I know the female they got from the vick situation had her teeth filed down. I thought they said so she was a bait dog or wouldn't bite the males when try to breed her. Just so disgusting to me. :mad2:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby airwalk » September 1st, 2008, 1:07 pm

This guy has us baffled. Nope not thinking fight of any kind. He has not particular fear nor aggression. One little scar that could have come from getting his big block head caught somewhere.

We see a lot of these types of bullies at our shelter - short, rotated patellas, big block heads, some combat crops, oversized bodies...someone in our County is working very hard on breeding these guys - many are buckskins ... this guy is white.

The teeth have us baffled.

He's mellow, sweet, not demanding at all.
airwalk
I live here

Postby LMM » September 1st, 2008, 1:15 pm

Diana I so wish I had room, he is a beauty.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL