off leash confidence

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby olympianAB » April 5th, 2006, 11:49 pm

Here's the problem. Cappuccino my 18month old APBT, is usually always on-leash, or in her weight pull harness if she's outside.. I've been trying to do some off leash type stuff.. But if i take off her leash, she freezes, and will get that poor me look on her face. I really think it's just a confidence issue. Any ideas or suggestions to get her much more comfortable off leash. i would love to compete at some pt in Obedience with her.

Becky
olympianAB
Just Whelped

Postby Romanwild » April 6th, 2006, 7:37 am

Wish I had that problem. When Dreyfus feels that leash off he pauses one second then takes off like it's a prison break. lol

I'm interested in the replies.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Insomnia » April 6th, 2006, 11:54 am

Romanwild wrote:Wish I had that problem. When Dreyfus feels that leash off he pauses one second then takes off like it's a prison break. lol

I'm interested in the replies.

hahaha...same with Princess, she is unstoppable when offleash.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » April 6th, 2006, 6:23 pm

ya I wish I had that problem. Any distraction and Os is off to check it out.
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby olympianAB » April 7th, 2006, 12:19 am

i have one of those 2...Apollo my AB..lol

they are nite and day.. She is such a mama's girl...
olympianAB
Just Whelped

Postby AchillesThePit » April 16th, 2006, 8:28 pm

Achilles would take off for a quick run (like maybe 1-2 mins, sometimes less than 1 min), then comes right back to me/to the door waiting for me to let him in.
AchillesThePit
Just Whelped

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 16th, 2006, 10:44 pm

Tess is now reliable outside off leash-only took 6 months!

I work indoors off leash all the time, so outdoors off leash is not a big deal. I would work her outside on leash, then take the leash off when the dog is on a sit/stay and continue working as if nothing changed. Try that and see if it makes a difference. A lot of times they get confidence by knowing what to do. Following commands will give her that.

Interesting problem.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby katiek0417 » April 17th, 2006, 9:20 am

One thing I did with Sacha was a I made a "makeshift" leash out of nylon cord (that you get at Home Depot or Lowes). It's really light...I tied it onto a regular leash hook (and I made it about 25 feet long so I could work on long stays, etc).

First, as we were walking, I'd drop her regular leash, so it was dragging behind her...and I let her see both my hands (so she could see I wasn't holding a leash)...but because of the weight, she knew it was on her...

Then, I went to the nylon cord. I would hold it...then I'd drop that and let it drag behind her. She still knew there was a leash, but it wasn't nearly as heavy as the leather one...

Once I got her reliable on that, i started to take it off....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Training & Behavior