Agility people... leg protection?

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby Malli » August 24th, 2008, 2:16 am

Hi guys :)

I've been looking for a while for something like horse leg wraps for dogs, and I'm wondering if any of you agility people have anything in mind?

If I take Oscar for fetch on dry stiff grass he gets the back of his foot and "heel" plus the back pad all torn up :rolleyes2:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SisMorphine » August 24th, 2008, 9:07 am

I've never seen people use any sort of wraps for agility, but I would assume you could throw some vet wrap on his foot if he'll let ya.

I know my aunt used dog booties on her old GSD because he would tear his pads up something awful in the winter on the ice. I know of some Greyhound people who will just buy a single bootie if their dog has a corn on one foot. So maybe that's your answer . . . though I've yet to meet a dog who'll wear booties without looking like they've been beat :giggle:
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Hundilein » August 24th, 2008, 10:43 am

In flyball wrapping a dog's feet with vet wrap is pretty common. A lot of fast dogs, especially ones with pink pads, often burn them on the matting. Some people use dog boots, but the ones on my team always just use vet wrap.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » August 24th, 2008, 2:51 pm

well I have full access to vetwrap, but I was hoping not to have to waste it since we do fetch like 3-5 times a week...

I find that most dogs do better if they have either some of their foot exposed or the wrap is above the toes.

Booties would be quite silly, at least at first :giggle:, there would be some high stepping soldier like marching and some can-canning as he tried to shake them off :lol3:

Its even funny to think about :devil:

I found some leg wraps but they look upractical...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby maberi » August 24th, 2008, 4:20 pm

The people I see who do flyball with big fat dogs will actually wrap in entire foot in vet wrap with nothing exposed.

Just not sure how practical that would be for playing fetch

Malli wrote:well I have full access to vetwrap, but I was hoping not to have to waste it since we do fetch like 3-5 times a week...

I find that most dogs do better if they have either some of their foot exposed or the wrap is above the toes.

Booties would be quite silly, at least at first :giggle:, there would be some high stepping soldier like marching and some can-canning as he tried to shake them off :lol3:

Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Marinepits » August 24th, 2008, 4:31 pm

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TheRedQueen » August 24th, 2008, 5:35 pm

Marinepits wrote:http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19940

:wink:

Thanks for posting this link, so I didn't have to repeat myself! lol

Ripley used to use the skid boots from Z control...and they're in great shape after years of racing...wonderful things!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » August 25th, 2008, 4:53 am

maberi wrote:The people I see who do flyball with big fat dogs will actually wrap in entire foot in vet wrap with nothing exposed.

Just not sure how practical that would be for playing fetch

Malli wrote:well I have full access to vetwrap, but I was hoping not to have to waste it since we do fetch like 3-5 times a week...

>( Are you saying my dog is fat? Because if so, get ready to scrap it out! :cheeky3: :slap:
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Malli » August 25th, 2008, 4:53 am

Marinepits wrote:http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19940

:wink:

:wave2:
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » August 25th, 2008, 3:03 pm

BTW...I don't think it has to do with having big or fat dogs...it has to do with the way the dogs hit the box in flyball. Matt just sees more fat flyball dogs, me thinks! :smileUp:

I see dogs of all shapes and sizes with their feet wrapped. Inara's feet had to be wrapped for her first few tourneys, her pads were just so soft to start with. :neutral:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby amazincc » August 25th, 2008, 3:16 pm

It's "fluffy", people... F-L-U-F-F-Y! :rolleyes2: :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » August 25th, 2008, 3:18 pm

amazincc wrote:It's "fluffy", people... F-L-U-F-F-Y! :rolleyes2: :D

Umm...Ripley says no, sometimes fluffy is just fluffy. :crazy2: He says fatty lumps don't count towards total fatness.

TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » August 26th, 2008, 4:06 am

my whole life I've had comments about how SKINNY my dog is, and yes, he is a skidder, slider, somersaulter(not joking), flailer with his fetching, he is hard core! :rock:
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Sports