Thing(s) that made me happy today...

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Marinepits » August 19th, 2008, 11:16 am

This whole story made me laugh:

slideshow http://www.thedenverchannel.com/slidesh ... etail.html

Cow Chases Bear Off Pasture
Cow, Bear Touch Noses Before Bear Scared Off

HYGIENE, Colo. -- Cowabunga! Who needs a guard dog when you have a cow?

A bear trying to grab apples at a pasture in Hygiene was scared off Sunday by the homeowner's heifer.

Nancy Dayton said a young black bear was in her apple tree and was starting to roam the area when her black cow, Apple, confronted it and chased it off.

Dayton wasn't there, but her two tenants, Jack McDonald and Penny Cox, saw it happen. McDonald said he had heard a ruckus outside, at about 5 p.m., so he went to investigate.

"I looked inside the apple tree here and instead of seeing the cats fighting, I saw a bear," McDonald said.

"And there's the bear looking at him from the tree so he backed off and saw Apple moseying over," Dayton said.

The bear climbed down from the tree, and climbed over the fence to get a closer look at Apple. The two stared each other down for some time, McDonald said.

"When they saw each other, you thought there was going to be some kind of massive encounter -- a fight," McDonald said.

"They touched noses and I kept thinking, 'This is a bear and a cow,'" Cox said.

The two sniffed each other out, and then Apple chased the bear back up the apple tree.

"They hung out by the apple tree for a while and then the cow chased him to the fence. It was hilarious," McDonald said.

"She took off on a full run," Dayton said.

The encounter lasted about 30 minutes. Both animals were curious, not aggressive, witnesses said.

"It could have been that she was brave and chasing the bear off or it could have been that she was trying to keep up with the bear," McDonald said, laughing. "It was cute."

Dayton named the cow Apple because the black angus loves the fruit, and eats them all the time when they fall off the tree.

"She was protecting her apple tree," Dayton said.

Officers with the Division of Wildlife were called to Dayton's home, but by the time they arrived, the bear was long gone. Officers told Dayton that a big bear and her two cubs had been spotted in Hygiene earlier in the morning. The bears were spotted three times at Hygiene Elementary School the day before school started.

Dayton said it was a good thing that the momma bear wasn't around or Apple could have been hurt. She also noticed that the cub had tried to get into her Dumpster since the lids were collapsed.

Dayton said she bought Apple a year ago from a rancher, never thinking the cow could one day protect her property.

"I kind of joke that I'm going for 'farm ambience.' I'm not a rancher or a cattleman. She's something of a pet. Now, she's a star," McDonald said.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TheRedQueen » August 19th, 2008, 8:07 pm

I have a bag of Chex mix to myself...so I can eat the pieces I like, and leave the ones I don't want... :D
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby call2arms » August 19th, 2008, 8:45 pm

I had some AWESOME chocolate cookies at work today... Cookie shaped, semi-crispy on the outside and brownie-moist on the inside. With chocolate yummy icing. All homemade by one of the girls (who's taking a baker class next year, she is sooooo good at it!)...

And, I had brought some jellybellys to work as well, and they were excellent, I love the coffee flavored ones. Peanut butter was weird though.

Still on the eating topic, I'm going to get myself a Dr. Oetker's pizza at the store for dinner since I'm a baseball widow.

I also oredred some jewelery for my piercings, can't wait to receive it although it will be long... But I love Industrial strenght jewelery, so it's worth it.

Edited to add (that makes me REAL HAPPY): Image
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby madremissy » August 19th, 2008, 9:31 pm

I am happy to be back with my friends. :wave2:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » August 19th, 2008, 10:38 pm

We're happy to have you back, Missy!

And...my grapes are about ready for JELLY makin'... :D What a happy day!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » August 20th, 2008, 4:21 am

tonight as I was mopping up drool and water from the floor next to the bowl I got kisses on the cheek :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby maberi » August 20th, 2008, 7:18 am

Well this was yesterday but I took Pork Chop swimming for the first time and he LOVED it. He swam like a champ and looked like a little motor boat chuggin along in the water
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 20th, 2008, 9:23 am

I watched this video again and it just made me laugh and laugh and laugh and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWZKjtFUeco

lmao

(it's about that stupid iGallop)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby call2arms » August 20th, 2008, 9:41 am

That cat looks like he's nauseous.

I got my blood test done this morning, the nurse was VERY good and only poked me once, and I did not feel like I was being sucked dry.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby cheekymunkee » August 20th, 2008, 1:28 pm

call2arms wrote:Whaaaat????
What about good'ol window units? Not strong enough? Cost more for electricity?

I don't even have air conditioned, and sure have not needed it this summer.

Both. Plus they are too easy to steal.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby call2arms » August 20th, 2008, 10:28 pm

Awesome.

Come to Quebec, internet womb of mine, and you shall receive freshness: 64 F right now, it's 10:30 pm.

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby airwalk » August 20th, 2008, 11:24 pm

Cinder met me at the door tonight when I got home doing her Dobie two step dance wanting to eat.....I love eating and dancing dogs
airwalk
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » August 20th, 2008, 11:29 pm

call2arms wrote:Awesome.

Come to Quebec, internet womb of mine, and you shall receive freshness: 64 F right now, it's 10:30 pm.

I'm packing now. Will you hold me when it is cold?

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » August 20th, 2008, 11:30 pm

Red Velvet cup cakes with cream cheese frosting. :yum:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby amazincc » August 20th, 2008, 11:31 pm

airwalk wrote:Cinder met me at the door tonight when I got home doing her Dobie two step dance wanting to eat.....I love eating and dancing dogs

Me too!!! I'm happy to read this. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby airwalk » August 20th, 2008, 11:32 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Red Velvet cup cakes with cream cheese frosting. :yum:

yumm can you send me one that sounds really good
airwalk
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » August 20th, 2008, 11:33 pm

Missy just sent me some video of McKinlee...that definitely put a smile on my face...I needed that...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » August 21st, 2008, 12:10 am

This was last week, but it was fantastic...

I was juuuuuust on time for the team triathalon we do every year and I realized that I had no idea how to get to the lake. I was in the immediate area, but didn't know where to turn. I was trying to read a map at a stop light and a woman pulled up next to me and asked if I was lost. I told her I was looking for the race and she gave me directions. We both got stopped at the next light and she rolled her window down again and wished me luck.

I got there on time thanks to her.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby call2arms » August 21st, 2008, 12:17 am

Debby, I can hold you if you want, but we do have a wide array of warm blankets that can be used, as well as heating. You'll need to share a room with my 15-year old senile cat though, but he snuggles.

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » August 21st, 2008, 4:57 am

mnp13 wrote:This was last week, but it was fantastic...

I was juuuuuust on time for the team triathalon we do every year and I realized that I had no idea how to get to the lake. I was in the immediate area, but didn't know where to turn. I was trying to read a map at a stop light and a woman pulled up next to me and asked if I was lost. I told her I was looking for the race and she gave me directions. We both got stopped at the next light and she rolled her window down again and wished me luck.

I got there on time thanks to her.

Thats awesome :) A rare thing I find in this world...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic