A victory, in a strange way...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 4th, 2006, 7:50 pm

So I put Inara on her rope out front to go potty this evening - I stayed with her as I always do. We were watching some wild turkey parade across the lawn next door, and as they crossed the street, Inara caught sight of hikers gathering across the street. I saw her tense, but before I could snag her she took off. The rope snapped and she was gone. I bolted after her (in my pajamas and slippers!) yelling "Inara come! Sit! Come! Sit! Stop!" Here's where the dubious victory comes in...SHE ACTUALLY STOPPED AND LOOKED BACK AT ME! She never would have done that before. Of course as soon as I got within reach of her leash she was off again. So I hollered again and she stopped and looked back. At this point, I tried a different tactic - I ran AWAY from her. She loved it and came chasing after me, all excited. She ran past me once but I couldn't snag the leash. She tried to run by me again, towards the street again (thank God we have a big front yard) and I threw myself on the ground full-length, and barely managed to grab the leash. Shockingly enough, I didn't hear the people across the street howling with laughter. I would have been. I'm laughing now. I called my hubby to tell him and he laughed. I know it's scary that she got loose because she could've gotten hit by a car, but damn I wish I could've seen myself chasing after her in pj's! lol This just reinforces my thought that I need to get her a good trainer. *shaking head*
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 4th, 2006, 7:51 pm

And maybe a stronger rope? ;-)
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 4th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Yeah, we're either going to move her tether from the backyard to the front yard, or get a chain. I hate the vision of her on a chain though, but when she gets a head of steam up she's so freakin' strong!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby girlie » April 4th, 2006, 9:34 pm

I know chains aren't that pretty (my neighbors are full of comments about mine)...maybe you could get a cable set up instead?
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby Romanwild » April 4th, 2006, 9:42 pm

I can see you diving on the lawn. lol

Cable is the way to go. It's light and super strong. :)
Romanwild
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 4th, 2006, 10:04 pm

Yeah, it was a pretty sight. You know what makes it better??? Since I'm just a big kid, the pj's I was wearing? Leopard print jammies with the feet attached, just like little kids wear! Now isn't THAT a vision!
Okay, once you're finished laughing - are cables strong enough? On other forums I've heard people say that their pits broke the cables pretty easily. I'd prefer a cable just for the sheer aesthetics, but quite frankly, I just want to make sure she stays safe.
pitbullmamaliz

Postby a-bull » April 4th, 2006, 10:08 pm

My first guy chewed through a cable on a run . . .
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 4th, 2006, 10:48 pm

I'm not as concerned about the chewing - she's not permitted outside without us supervising her. I'm more worried about her getting a good head of steam up and breaking it at a full run.
pitbullmamaliz

Postby BigDogBuford » April 4th, 2006, 11:13 pm

I use those as tie downs in the house a lot. I find they tend to break the clip more than the cable. Patrick will chew on his and eventually we'll have to replace it or it'll break. Usually we replace the clips with more sturdy ones right when we get them.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Purple » April 5th, 2006, 6:55 am

My dobie could snap any cable.
Purple
I live here

Postby Purple » April 5th, 2006, 6:56 am

....and what a great story, only I pictured you in a two piece flowered pj set with terry cloth slippers..... :D
Purple
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » April 5th, 2006, 7:39 am

Oh man, WITH FEET?! That just added to the story immensely :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 5th, 2006, 7:58 am

*giggle* Yeah, I figured it would!

We keep the house pretty chilly and those jammies are warm!!!
pitbullmamaliz

Return to Training & Behavior