**ALERT** Rockwood, Tennessee

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby cheekymunkee » August 14th, 2008, 11:44 pm

Breed specific legislation is BACK on the agenda in Rockwood, Tennessee. This time, however, it is not only bull breeds that are being targeted. Please take note that owners of the following breeds will be restricted under the proposed amendments to Rockwood's current ordinance:

(1) Bull Terrier;
(2) Staffordshire Bull Terrier;
(3) American Pit Bull Terrier;
(4) American Staffordshire Terrier;
(5) Chow Chow;
(6) Doberman Pinscher;
(7) Rottweiler;
(8) German Shepherd;
(9) and ANY other breed comonly known as one of the above breeds or any combination of the above breeds

The proposed amendments are on the agenda for the city council meeting on Monday, August 18, 2008. It is my understanding that this will be considered the first reading, with the final reading at the September council meeting. It is also my understanding that there are enough "yes" votes to pass this on Monday night.

I cannot stress how VERY IMPORTANT for people to attend the city council meeting on Monday. We MUST have Rockwood citizens in attendance. The fact that city residents have not taken an interest on this issue has NOT gone unnoticed by the city council.

In addition, the city council seems to feel that because they have gone from "banning" to "restricting" certain breeds, that they have submitted to the pleas of concerned dog owners. They have not. Regardless of this language change, it is still BSL.... and the city has now added even more breeds to their proposed restricted list.

Rockwood's current ordinance clearly identifies a “dangerous dog,” and there is no need to add the breed specific language contained in the proposed amendments. Adding the breed specific language is not going to create a safer community and, in fact, the language of the ordinance as proposed can actually harm the community by giving the residents a false sense of security. As we all know, “dangerous dogs” come in all shapes, sizes and BREEDS. However, this ordinance implies otherwise. This ordinance deems pit bulls, chows, dobermans, rottweilers and German Shephards are dangerous per se, while giving other breeds of dogs the opportunity to be deemed dangerous based on their specific behavior. Owners of the above listed dogs would automatically be regulated by this ordinance, while owners of other dogs would only be regulated if their dog were deemed dangerous by their individual behavior.

Please send your polite and respectful letters opposing breed specific language to the Rockwood city officials listed below. In addition, PLEASE try to attend the meeting in Rockwood on Monday night if at all possible. Please remember...we are the only voices our dogs have.

Jodi Preis
Bless the Bullys
http://www.blessthebullys.com

Rockwood, Tennessee Contact Information

**Per the city clerk, please address all faxed or snail mailed correspondence and/or documentation to the attention of the city council, and she will ensure they receive same.**

Rockwood City Hall
110 North Chamberlain Avenue
Rockwood, Tennessee 37854
Phone: 865-354-0611
FAX: 865-354-0348

Mayor Michael Miller
865-354-0611
E-mail: rockwood@icx. net

Vice Mayor
Darryl Meadows

CITY COUNCIL
Grover East
Dudley Evans
James Neal
Ray Collett
James Watts

Jodi Preis
Bless the Bullys
Education...Awareness...Advocacy
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL