Springfield, IN Chihuahua Bites Boy's Lip Off

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby cheekymunkee » August 14th, 2008, 11:42 pm

Dog Bites Boy's Lip Off

Stan Maddux
For The News-Dispatch

SPRINGFIELD TOWNSHIP - A 6-year-old Springfield Township boy might need plastic surgery after a dog bit his face, tearing his lip from his face.

"He came to the shed covered in blood and I was freaking out," said his mother, Diane Ott.

The family owns Stateline Blueberries along Indiana 39 near the Michigan state line.

According to La Porte County Police, Gabriel and Margorzata Przybysz of Park Forest, Ill., had gone there with their children to pick blueberries and brought their pet Chihuahua. Most of the family members were out in the field while their son tied the dog on a leash to a picnic table, police said.

The boy told investigators he warned the victim, Owen Ott, not to pet the animal but he reached down to pet the dog and was bitten. Diane Ott said her son was actually on a bicycle.

The dog was on a retractable leash and jumped up, biting her son on the lip as he was riding by, she said, adding that the dog hung on to her son's lower lip momentarily before letting go.

Owen was taken to La Porte Hospital by his father and stitched up in the emergency room by a plastic surgeon. He was allowed to go home later in the night.

The doctor will decide whether plastic surgery is needed after the swelling goes down.

"The chunk was sticking out of his face. It looked horrible at the time but he's resting comfortably now," Diane Ott said.

The dog was taken to the La Porte County Small Animal Shelter, where it was placed under a standard quarantine to check for rabies. Police said the dog twice attempted to bite one of the animal shelter employees.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sec ... M=52637.34

Jodi Preis
Bless the Bullys
Education...Awareness...Advocacy
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL