Flint, MI Neighborhood says pit bull is terrorizing people,

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby cheekymunkee » August 14th, 2008, 11:05 pm

Neighborhood says pit bull is terrorizing people, pets
Wednesday, August 13, 2008 | 4:16 PM
Dog is blamed for at least four attacks
By Randy Conat

(08/13/08)-- Residents of a local neighborhood say they're being terrorized by a pit bull, and they're learning current state laws won't protect them.

"It was the most terrifying moment of my life," said Rhonda Barette, who was attacked by a pit bull.

Barette will never forget what happened to her last week. She was sitting in her family room with her cat on her lap. A pit bull suddenly appeared outside the screen door.

"He ripped the screen open, came in, lunged at my cat. I was screaming, trying to get the pit bull off of him."

Her husband, Phil, broke the stock of a rifle over the dog's head, then dragged him outside. The cat is still in the hospital. Rhonda suffered several bites to her hands.

"It was extremely painful at the time, but I didn't care. All I could think of was saving my cat," she said.

This is believed to be the fourth time the pit bull has menaced the neighborhood. "Two years ago, my cat was attacked by this animal. It was mauled to death," said Flint Township resident Clark Adams.

The same dog is believed to have attacked a cat at another house; an attack that ended with the dog's head stuck under a porch.

State Senator John Gleason, (D) Flushing, says it's time for tough laws to protect people and their pets from vicious dogs. "I think the most important thing we can do is tighten the regulations."

Current law allows authorities to destroy a dog if it has caused serious injury or death to a person or another dog. Gleason wants a law that would protect all other pets, and allow a vicious dog to be destroyed if there's a pattern of violence.

"It's time to put that dog down. He's had more than his fair chance. The owner should be much more responsible," Gleason said.

The pit bull in question is being held by Genesee County Animal Control and is scheduled to be released to its owner this Friday.

We tried to contact the owner of the pit bull, but were not successful.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?secti ... id=6324528

Jodi Preis
Bless the Bullys
Education...Awareness...Advocacy
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL