Timberwolf vs California Natural vs Solid Gold

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 4th, 2006, 1:25 pm

Ok, I will try switching her to turkey. I can buy a couple of turkey carcasess and that should be enough for her. Now I have been using a ratio of about 70% bone in and 20% boneless, the boneless being beef heart. That beef heart is also new to her. Should I just assume the meaty sections like turkey breast can count as boneless ? Are the giblits that come in a turkey enough organ meat for her per turkey? Seems like naturally speaking, the ratio per bird should be correct for the dog!

Oh, and my vet about had a cow when I said she got raw chicken bones :o Does she know something I do not? She IS a very young vet, so tends to be overreactive to many things. She would bleed me dry if I did all the tests she suggests! The dogs seem to really chew the bones well, and I was planning on only giving them chicken backs once they came in as opposed to leg and thigh pieces. I will grind those up.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 4th, 2006, 1:36 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:Ok, I will try switching her to turkey. I can buy a couple of turkey carcasess and that should be enough for her. Now I have been using a ratio of about 70% bone in and 20% boneless, the boneless being beef heart. That beef heart is also new to her. Should I just assume the meaty sections like turkey breast can count as boneless ? Are the giblits that come in a turkey enough organ meat for her per turkey? Seems like naturally speaking, the ratio per bird should be correct for the dog!

Oh, and my vet about had a cow when I said she got raw chicken bones :o Does she know something I do not? She IS a very young vet, so tends to be overreactive to many things. She would bleed me dry if I did all the tests she suggests! The dogs seem to really chew the bones well, and I was planning on only giving them chicken backs once they came in as opposed to leg and thigh pieces. I will grind those up.

I don't worry so much about the ratio. As long as it has more meat than bone it's all good IMO. I don't buy whole turkeys for them ( I don't have the room) I buy parts. The legs & wings I get are HUGE & even the wings have plenty or meat on them & weigh over a pound each.

Raw chicken bones are fine for dogs as long as they chew them up well. They don't splinter like cooked ones do. If you are worried about them you can break them up with a hammer before feeding. I feed legs & thighs ( when I feed them but I don't do it often due to one of my dogs being allergic) and even my little dog has NO problems with them. I have recently stopped feeding her anything but crushed bones because she gobbled her food one night, threw up & ended up choking on a pork foot bone. Your vet is only going by what they are taught in school & it is my understanding that they do not cover nutrition much at all. COOKED bones are a problem, RAW are not. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katiek0417 » April 4th, 2006, 1:57 pm

I also like turkey necks. If you know any butchers, you can ask them to save the necks for you....that's what mine does (they would throw them out anyway). The puppy loves turkey necks...she gets that for dinner once a week, but, like Debby, I try to use a hammer on it first....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 4th, 2006, 2:01 pm

Ok, I have a hatchet that I use for the meat, it does a real number on crushing it up. I noticed that the leg pieces do get sharp, but the girls chew really well. The dal whippet gets ground because he is a wuss and can't seem to chew the pieces well enough (and barfed the whole thing up!)

I have a chest freeze, and as soon as I empty the morgue I will have tons of room.

We have a 55 pound dog, 3 chickens, a guinie pig and a cat in there right now. It was not a very good year. :(
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » April 4th, 2006, 6:53 pm

2nd night of california natural herring and sweet potato.
no licking of feet, no rubbing face on carpet, couch, or walls.. no pacing.. nice and relaxed...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 4th, 2006, 7:39 pm

Yayyy!!

Poor guys, it must have sucked to be so miserable.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby concreterose » April 5th, 2006, 1:20 pm

Maryellen wrote:2nd night of california natural herring and sweet potato.
no licking of feet, no rubbing face on carpet, couch, or walls.. no pacing.. nice and relaxed...

Maryellen,
I didn't realize you were feeding a kibble. The kibble you are using may relieve Jesse's symptoms, but you are not doing a true elimination diet, because there are other ingredients other than the herring and sweet potato. I looked at the ingredient list:

Click on an ingredient for more details.

Herring
Barley
Oatmeal/Rolled Oats
Herring Meal
Herring Oil
Sweet Potatoes
Sunflower Oil
Dicalcium Phosphate
Natural Flavors
Calcium Carbonate
Vitamin E
Ascorbic Acid
Vitamins/Minerals
Potassium Chloride
Rosemary Extract

It has two grains, sunflower oils (which is a super allergenic oil for dogs), vitamins, 'natural' flavors, and rosemary extract. You are adding a lot of ingredients in the mix that could potentially cause an allergic reaction.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » April 5th, 2006, 1:34 pm

i know.. i cant do raw with her as it doesnt work well with the chicken and turkey... so far on the ca natural she is doing great, no licking, scratching, rubbing her head or anything.. she is actually calmer after eating, where before after eating she would be pacing alot and seem anxiious... if this doesnt work i guess i should do raw protein then? like rabbit, etc?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby concreterose » April 5th, 2006, 1:40 pm

Maryellen wrote:i know.. i cant do raw with her as it doesnt work well with the chicken and turkey... so far on the ca natural she is doing great, no licking, scratching, rubbing her head or anything.. she is actually calmer after eating, where before after eating she would be pacing alot and seem anxiious... if this doesnt work i guess i should do raw protein then? like rabbit, etc?

Hopefully that will work then.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » April 5th, 2006, 7:39 pm

if the dry kibble doesnt work should i go to prepackaged raw exotic meats?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby concreterose » April 6th, 2006, 10:47 am

Maryellen wrote:if the dry kibble doesnt work should i go to prepackaged raw exotic meats?

Do you have a local source where you can get venison, duck, or rabbit? It would probably be a little cheaper than going pre-packaged. Salmon is also a protein you could try, but I would probably cook it a bit.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » April 6th, 2006, 10:49 am

i can ask the butcher shop a few towns over if they can get me that..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » April 7th, 2006, 8:28 am

well, its been yet another night of feeding jesse the california natural herring and sweet potato... and she is still not licking her feet.... i think i have found the answer finally.... she isnt rubbing her body or face after she eats on the furniture or area rug in the living room, she is no longer pacing right after she eats and is actually still calm and relaxed.. since this is a new food i will give it for 90 days to see if it really is working... i know once the grass starts growing her air allergies will get worse, but hopefully with the new food, benadry, and some luck it will be more bearable for her....

so far so good... i am so happy.. i am switching all 3 dogs to the new food too, and i noticed rufus isnt rubbing his body onthe couch either after he eats.... sonny is well, sonny, nothing bothers him..

whew...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 7th, 2006, 8:49 am

When Tallulah gets into the long grass she gets belly rashes, so I bathe her or wipe her down with a wet one, and it helps a lot.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » April 9th, 2006, 4:26 pm

so far still good.. jesse gets just the california natural , no salmon oil, no kelp, nothing but the dog food, and she is still doing good..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » April 12th, 2006, 8:59 pm

so far still good.. all their coats are softer and silkier, and although the pollen is affecting jesse,she is still doing good on this food..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby concreterose » April 12th, 2006, 9:35 pm

Did you ask your vet about ordering the natural cortisone? We have had t start using it for Vicki and Daphne, it makes them soooo comfortable. I will never be without it!
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health