ARGH!!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby msvette2u » March 30th, 2006, 11:58 am

With the stress of having a pregnant mom who has now given birth and there's new babies in the house, our older GSD, Hunter, has began peeing ALL over the house. Everyone in the house is fixed (other than Lambie who goes today for her spay!) He's marked a billion things in the house.
Is he more protective because he senses a (6) vulnerable new pack member(s)?
Any suggestions!!? Other than murder!???
We're planning to keep him outside in the outdoor runs now that it's warmer and he's bonkers. :| That only adds to his stress as a rule...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 30th, 2006, 12:00 pm

msvette2u wrote:Is he more protective because he senses a (6) vulnerable new pack member(s)?

I'd say he feels threatened and is marking all of his territory.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 30th, 2006, 12:25 pm

Maybe that is the canine version of smoking a cigar?

(Sorry, I know that is no help)

Hope you figure it out. Maybe spending some one on one time when you calm down will help him feel better?
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby luvmyangels » March 30th, 2006, 1:28 pm

I agree with Michelle.

Whenever I used to get new fosters in my oldest dog would start marking all over. He drove me nuts.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby msvette2u » March 30th, 2006, 1:32 pm

We have that problem too normally but last night it was just me and the dogs home and when a car pulled up, it was my own family but before he recognized who it was he went apesh*t barking, very aggressively like he usually does NOT bark. So I thought maybe he was acting protectively. But him being insecure makes more sense. The dog is neurotic anyway ;)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » March 30th, 2006, 1:32 pm

My dog STILL marks all over because the kennel is in the basement and he can smell new dogs coming in and out each day. ANNOYING!!!

Invest in a bad boy bellyband. It's saved my life, his life, and my furniture.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pLaurent » March 30th, 2006, 3:01 pm

How old is he? For any sudden changes in behavior, a vet check is always a good idea. Stones or bladder/urinary tract infections can cause peeing.

Bladder stones made my Chloe pee on my neighbour's sofa. :o
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby msvette2u » March 30th, 2006, 3:27 pm

Well if he just started out of the blue it'd be one thing...but it always seems to "coincide" with a new arrival, or in this case, 6 "new arrivals"!! :shock:
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Mind_doc » April 2nd, 2006, 8:08 pm

Just like humans have strange reactions to stress and or anxiety, animals can sometimes exhibit different reactions to new, stressfull situations. I have seen excessive chewing, biting, hair loss, and even pacing. I would bet the marking will stop as he gets used to his situation.
MD
Mind_doc
Just Whelped

Postby msvette2u » April 2nd, 2006, 8:12 pm

He's doing better now, it didn't take too long. We have to be careful because if we take away priveleges to the rest of the house that increases his stress yet we want to protect our furniture and carpets!!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Pitcrew » April 3rd, 2006, 10:28 pm

I think your problem is insecurity AND dominance. I think he is showing the newcomers whos house it is. HIS! To secure his role early in their minds.
Maybe you need to remind him its YOURS!
The only way dogs can communicate their status with potential social challenges (that they dont come into direct contact with) is through scent.
Most dogs who are secure in their position, especially with such young animals (who arent a social threat), dont need to prove it. He CAN be insecure, and dominant.
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 3rd, 2006, 10:31 pm

Lisa wrote:I think your problem is insecurity AND dominance. I think he is showing the newcomers whos house it is. HIS! To secure his role early in their minds.
The only way dogs can communicate their status with potential social challenges (that they dont come into direct contact with) is through scent.
Most dogs who are secure in their position, especially with such young animals (who arent a social threat), dont need to prove it. He CAN be insecure, and dominant.

So are you suggesting they pee on their furniture instead? :|
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby msvette2u » April 4th, 2006, 12:33 am

mnp13 wrote:
Lisa wrote:I think your problem is insecurity AND dominance. I think he is showing the newcomers whos house it is. HIS! To secure his role early in their minds.

So are you suggesting they pee on their furniture instead? :|

:ROFL2:
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » April 4th, 2006, 7:59 am

For a while I just threatened to cut off Wally's penis. One day I ever brought him into the vet and discussed it with her, the penis cutting-off that is. I think that's what got through to him :wink:
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Pitcrew » April 4th, 2006, 10:16 am

No Michelle, lol
I am just saying, that in my house I cannot worry about my dogs being unsure about their social status. I don't want fights. (I have 4 bullies) They are separate when I am not home, but when I am they are my little pit pack and are fine together. I want to keep it that way. I don't want them to live in 'rotation'. So its my job.
I own the house, their beds, their toys, their food, their bones, etc. I wont allow them to decide they own anything. Nothing to protect, nothing to defend.
I had a small problem with Luke for awhile after I lost Alex. I wasn't giving him enough direction and he wasn't sure where his social place in the pack was (he is now the oldest).
I cracked down on him, asked more of him... instead of babying his insecurities (he was very bonded to Alex and he is a soft, sensitive dog, but very capable of a fight) and the spats and confusion ended for him. He is much calmer and secure in his role now. The current pecking order is me #1 and everyone else #2. They have different relationships amongst each other... but there is no challenge.
Marking, in his case... was the first sign of his insecurities with his position. I was not being consistent for a short time because of Alex's sudden loss. The same thing can happen with sudden additions to a household. Consistency and rules are very important to them, the more unsure they are, the more structure and direction they need.
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby katiek0417 » April 4th, 2006, 11:08 am

In line with the "marking his territory" argument...some dogs will pee to get attention. Sacha did it all the time....

If he feels threatened about a new addition (or 6 in this case) he might feel like he's not going to get the attention he so deserves...could be peeing to make sure he gets SOME attention (remember, bad attention is still attention...think of the child who gets yelled at in class for acting out, so he continues to act out b/c at least he's getting attention)....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Training & Behavior