BM cur living in swamp in central FL needs help

Postby TheRedQueen » August 4th, 2008, 9:23 am

***This is crossposted from a friend on another board that I'm on...I can put you in contact with the OP, but I do not have more information on this dog! :)***

<<Somebody dumped this girl out in a very remote, heavily wooded area. It was only by accident (or divine providence) that I spotted her in the thick woods on the side of the road. I believe she has puppies hidden somewhere out in the heavy underbrush. It took a week of feeding and coaxing to get her to let me pet her, finally, today. She has tunnels into the dense undergrowth of the swampy area she is living in. She was so thin, I was afraid when I first fed her, that it might kill her. But she survived it and is waiting on me everyday when I come to feed her. I'm very worried about what to do with her. I already have six dogs of my own and I just can't afford to care for another...if I take in anymore, I'm going to be a borderline "collector". I do not want to call animal control because they have a hideous track record on adoptions. They can't even find homes for the healthy dogs. I don't think they'll even mess with her, now that the county has slashed the budget so badly.

I suppose, though, if I can't find a rescue to take her, I'll have to try to get her to my home. I keep hoping that the puppy or puppies will pop up and show themselves. She appears to be nursing, but they may be too young yet to follow her around.

Who would do this to a dog? She appears to be about 8 months old. She is what Floridians call a "Blackmouth Cur". Every year, when the migrant workers pull out and leave, I wind up with a new dog. My vet said that he's had several, recently, just tied up to his front porch rail. I found another one the other day, but by the time I got home, got the food and went back, it was gone. It was in the same state. I don't where it went.>>

http://i36.tinypic.com/iyesmo.jpg
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby CinderDee » August 4th, 2008, 3:02 pm

Ok to crosspost?
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby BigDogBuford » August 4th, 2008, 3:27 pm

Poor girl. :( She's got a really sweet face.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Jenn » August 4th, 2008, 3:36 pm

Bless her heart :(

She actually appears like she may be pregnant in that photo, not nursing.. :|
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby gayrghts » August 4th, 2008, 8:21 pm

CinderDee wrote:Ok to crosspost?

i'm sure it is, as Erin cross posted it to us here
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » August 4th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Jenn wrote:Bless her heart :(

She actually appears like she may be pregnant in that photo, not nursing.. :|

The OP said that when the poor girl isn't bloated from eating so much in one sitting, the belly is much smaller. She's pretty sure that she's nursing because the belly changes during meal times. :neutral:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Jenn » August 4th, 2008, 10:14 pm

Awww well bless her.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby LMM » August 5th, 2008, 10:56 am

She definitely looks pregnant to me but I'm not an expert! She looks very sweet and scared :( I hope someone can help her.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Return to Rescue