Timberwolf vs California Natural vs Solid Gold

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » April 3rd, 2006, 10:27 am

ok, jesse's allergies seem to be getting worse every year. the TW allergy foods are now starting to bother her too..

TW:
Low Ash White Fish Meal, Salmon, Potatoes, Sardine/Mackerel/Anchovy/Tuna Oils, Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, Potassium Chloride, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Blueberries, Cranberries, Pears, Figs, Thyme, Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon Bark, Fenugreek, Garlic Pieces, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Apples, Taurine, Spirulina, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), Lysine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Methionine, Carnitine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine (a source of vitamin B6), Copper Proteinate, Selenium Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

PROTEIN: 26%
FAT: 16%
FIBER: 3%
MOISTURE: 9%
Kcal/kg: 3,675
OMEGA-6 FATTY ACIDS: 3.4%
OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS: 1.4%
CALCIUM: 1.5%
PHOSPHOROUS: .9
VITAMIN A: 22,000 IU/KG
VITAMIN D: 1,400 IU/KG
VITAMIN E: 350 IU/KG
COPPER: 16mg/KG

California Natural:
Herring
Barley
Oatmeal/Rolled Oats
Herring Meal
Herring Oil
Sweet Potatoes
Sunflower Oil
Dicalcium Phosphate
Natural Flavors
Calcium Carbonate
Vitamin E
Ascorbic Acid
Vitamins/Minerals
Potassium Chloride
Rosemary Extract

Moisture 10.0 %
Protein 21.0 %
Fat 11.0 %
Fiber 4.0 %
Calories 3474 Kcal/Kg
Calories 419 KCals/Cup

Solid Gold:
Holistique Blendz Adult Dog (fish)
Protein, Min 18%
Fat, Min 6%
Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
Calories per cup, 336
Ingredients
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oatmeal | Rye | Menhaden Fish Meal | Potatoes | Salmon Oil | Sesame Oil | Almond Oil | Lentils | Dried Seaweed Meal | Spearmint | Dried Pumpkin | Quinoa | Dried Cranberries | Dried Apples | Dried Chicory Root | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

now, if i switch her i will probably switch all the dogs to either California natural(regular blend) or SG (wolf king) or keep everyone on the TW ...

which out of the 3 is the best one?? although she has been on the TW for 2 years now, i see her ears are getting worse every year, so is her chewing on her feet.... she does have air borne allergies too, so maybe its just that.. i dont know, i dont like seeing her uncomfortable, and there is only so much benadryl i can give her. she gets prednisone in her food tooo a few times a week to help..

HELP
Maryellen
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 3rd, 2006, 10:33 am

Tallulah had allergies, so I started cooking her own food. Meat (chicken, beef, occasionally pork) grains (barley, brown rice, quinoa), lentils, veggies (carrots, spinach, peas, broccoli, garlic) eggs and flax seed.

The itchyness went away, she lost the weight she had gained, she seemed much more limber and had way more energy.

They are all now on raw, and so far so good. I still add grated veggies, eggs, and flax to the ground mix, but no grains, and no cooking.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby katiek0417 » April 3rd, 2006, 10:36 am

Verus has a menhaden fish and potatoes meal which worked really well for Sacha's allergies...I was also really happy with her poop...I eventually switched her to raw, but that was just a preference for my puppy and it was easier to do raw for both

Also, you might want to go very alternate and do a raw rabbit or duck....that's what I finally ended up doing with her
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Maryellen » April 3rd, 2006, 10:36 am

my gsd cant have any grains, or chicken or turkey as she is allergic. i am kinda limited
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » April 3rd, 2006, 12:04 pm

I can not believe Timberwolf's new prices.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby concreterose » April 3rd, 2006, 12:10 pm

ME, have you done a TRUE elimination diet with Jesse...I know you change foods a lot. Also, I would look into putting her on natural cortisone when they get out of control.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Hoyden » April 3rd, 2006, 12:42 pm

ME - have you started a diet journal for Jesse?

I know it sounds insane, but you may want to get a cheap day planner or use an online journal like live journal and start keeping records of diet, flare-ups and her environment. A vet would be able to review it and maybe find some common denominators.

If she is flaring NOW - I would wonder is she has allergies to something in her environment.

I have a journal for Birdie that is private on live journal to keep track of her work and her diet.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Maryellen » April 3rd, 2006, 3:19 pm

i write down every time her allergies flair up.. she flairs up with warm weather, she is allergic to grass and oak trees.. the spring and fall are the worst for her airborne allergies( ihad both air/food testing done)

her food allergies flair up when she gets anything with chicken, turkey, rice, corn, wheat or soy in it...

she is also allergic to dust/house mites as well.. i put this powder stuff down and vaccumm it up to kill the mites, plus i ripped up almost all the carpeting in the house..

she has been on the timberwolf for 2 years, i switched to EVO to try that and that didnt work, her coat got horrible and she stank. other then that its been basically TW for 2 years. she can only have the ocean blue, elk, or bison as those have no grains or turkey and chicken.

the vet and i did a elimination diet where i wrote every ingredient down of what she had, plus any people food.. she gets no people food anymore, or dog biscuits or cookies or bully sticks or anything..

her flare ups vary, from weather change to the TW... i cant get rid of the grass, i have 3 acres of land.. and i cant chop every oak tree down, that would cost a fortune.

right now they are on the elk as they were out of the ocean blue. i am seriously leaning toward maybe oma's pride, as they have other meats like rabbit, duck, venison, beef.. but i have to check the ingredients..

i am constantly vaccumming,sweeping, cleaning(with white vinegar only) to limit her contact with any allergens..

and, she is on 20mg of prednisone for the rest of her life to help her with this, plus she gets a steroid for her ear infection its memotamax or something like that, the bottle is upstairs, the vet gave it to me as it was stronger then her last ear meds. her one ear already has scarring from the ear infections.

what am i missing?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 3rd, 2006, 5:12 pm

I'm guessing that it isn't a food allergy

Have you done any testing?
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Maryellen » April 3rd, 2006, 5:17 pm

yes, i did food and air allergy testing at two different vets offices to make sure it was accurate.. both offices took blood work, urine tests, both sent out the blood/urine to 2 labs, one in michigan and one in ny.. both results came back to grass,cats, oak trees, house mites,dust mites, corn, wheat,rice, soy, chicken and turkey..... the only other option is to bring jesse to margate nj to a holistic vet which is the closest one i could find, and do the testing all over again.. i have spent thousands on her trying to find out what the hell is wrong with her to give her some sort of comfort, instead of constantly chewing her feet, shaking her head because of reoccurring ear infections in one ear. i dont know what to do anymore.. i cant dig up all the grass, i cant move, i just dont know what to do. i even consulted the woman that concreterose used for pookie, and followed her advise.. my vet wont even give jesse any vaccines because of her immune system, he is afraid of the reaction she might give..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby concreterose » April 3rd, 2006, 6:27 pm

There is no reliable blood test for food allergies. So that is not a clear indication of what she's allergic to. Tell me how you did your elimination diet. Did you only one protein for 90 days? Did you cut out all supplements? I would also look into maybe rotating the pred with the natural cortisone...it works exactly the same without the side effects of the pred, and it will give her body a break (if only briefly) from the pred.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » April 3rd, 2006, 7:06 pm

what the vet and i did was cut out everything , and do one protein at a time. she started out w/ chicken, and got a nasty ear infection the night she ate the food.. after a week i stopped the chicken one because her ear was so bad i had to bring her to the vet for them to clean out her ear, as i couldnt get deep enough. then we tried turkey. same result.. major ear infection.. she did fine on elk, bison, rabbit and duck.. no problems at all.. once we introduced grains in she got a major ear infection, and chewed her feet something fierce on the chicken and turkey too.. we found out the grains bothered her allergies too, and the vet food was loaded with grains... that gave her ear infection and chewing feet also.. once the vet saw how bad her ear got on the different foods that bothered her she told me to stop feeding it. then we tried raw. the chicken and turkey did a major number on her ears. with all the proteins we tried, right after she ate she would rub all over the couch, rub her face onthe floor, couch, us, and her ear got really red and she chewed her feet. fish , elk, bison, rabbit, duck and venison worked fine for her, but to find a food like that with no grains is next to impossible..
she has been on the timberwolf ocean blue, and was doing good on it, but lately she has been getting ear infections and chewing her feet and rubbing again, so i am wondering if she is becoming allergic to that.

i got some samples of the california natural herring and sweet potato today, and she got that for dinner tonight. this is the first time she has not rubbed her face on the couch or rug after eating.. she isnt even chewing her feet.. usually when she eats an allergic food she starts right after she is done eating with the rubbing, chewing, and within a few hours her ear usually turns bright red and gets really hot.. so far its been a half hour and she is just laying on the couch watching tv.. no chewing, rubbing, or shaking her head.

i do notice too that with the change in season she gets an infected ear as well, that usually lasts a few days even with the medicine. i give them all bottled water as well to make sure its not the water..

i am wondering if she is becoming allergic to the millet in the ocean blue, or another ingredient. this all started if you remember 2 years ago when she was on canidae and she turned 2, and that april they changed the ingredients and thats when it all started..

am i missing something? do you think i covered it all with the proteins with the vet?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » April 3rd, 2006, 7:08 pm

the steriod is a bottle that i rub the cream in her ear when its infected.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » April 3rd, 2006, 7:22 pm

what am i missing, what else should i do??
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » April 3rd, 2006, 7:38 pm

Definitely NOT Solid Gold.

Timberwolf is the best kibble out there, IMO.

Maybe try raw again, but stick with it. Maybe she was just te-toxing. Who knows. I dont think you will find anything that will work if you dont give it some time.

I'm going to talk to my sister who knows about this stuff and how to handle it naturally. I'll let you know!
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Maryellen » April 3rd, 2006, 7:43 pm

the last time we did raw her ear got so inflamed and gunky i had to stop it, she kept shaking her head, stuff was flying, and she was rubbing her body, face, chewing her feet like mad, and just miserable.. even with the chicken kibble she did the same thing.. right now its been almost an hour and she isnt chewing her feet or rubbing on anything after eating the california natural herring kibble.. i have 2 more packets for the next 3 nights, so i will try that and see how it goes.. her ear canal is so scarred up the vet is really worried about it causing permanent damage, so i have to get this under control as best as possible... the grass/air allergies i cant help really, but at least with the right food that migh alleviate her air allergies just a little..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » April 3rd, 2006, 7:52 pm

the last time we did raw her ear got so inflamed and gunky i had to stop it

What kind of meats did you try?

Since you have tried all that you have tried, I really doubt that the other food will hold up. Is it possible that its mainly the environment thats causing her problems? Even the constant switching food might screw her up. :|

Silly puppy!

Oh, have to thought about giving her some local RAW honey to help with the environmental stuff?
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » April 3rd, 2006, 7:55 pm

Wow you are going through a lot. Thank goodness Jesse is with you. I hope something will work soon. I wish I had some words of wisdom. Sorry.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » April 3rd, 2006, 8:05 pm

the vet and i did chicken, turkey, ground beef, rabbit, duck, venison.. she was fine on the beef, rabbit, duck and venison. the turkey and chicken got her ear so inflamed and gunky that the vet was even surprised.

i do have another option, there is a vet in margate nj, that is a holistic vet, he is around 4 hours away.. ( i did a home check there so i know the driving time) i could bring her to him, but i need to also bring $400 for the visit and for him to take blood and to do tests, which he said could be extra...

now she ate at around 7tonight the california natural, and she is still not chewing her feet or rubbing her face all over.. her ear is infected from the air allergies right now, so i cant base the food with her ear just yet.. , but this is the first time in a long long time that after she ate she didnt rub onthe couch, floor, wall, bed, or chew her feeet right after eating.. tonight she just got the california natural kibble only.. nothing else was put in her food..

i will try anything to help alleviate her problems.. i can give her a benadryl for the itchiness, but after a while the doses she builds an immunity to. the prednisone is now 20 mg, we started out at 5 but she keeps building a tolerance to it, and she doesnt get th prednisone all the time.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » April 3rd, 2006, 8:06 pm

raw honey?? what is that?
Maryellen
I live here

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health