FR photos

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby pocketpit » July 24th, 2008, 7:26 pm

I take it he is not someone you would train with? The only reason I ask is because there aren't many GSD's in Ring, so I like it when I see them. What dogs do you train for it?


Rick is not my type when it comes to training. My helper has a Shepherd that I'm fond of. He's training for his brevet currently and would be ready soon if his dad would put a muzzle heel on him. He's a bit dirty but I like a little fight in my dogs.

I have three dogs I'm working but I'm only working two of them pretty seriously. My male Doberman, Brody, has been ready for his ring 1 for a long time but he's been very dirty and it's taken me along time to clean him up. We may attempt a level two if I can ever trial and pass at one but he suffered an injury last year that may prevent him from competing. As long as he seems to be doing fine I am determined to get his level one. He deserves it. He was born to play the game but I got him at a year and a half from someone who was very inconsistent in his obedience training and caused some issues. Between that and our lack of people to train with I've let him down. He easily could have been a level three dog. Which for a Doberman is difficult to find.
Kimber is my female Doberman and she's been plagued by a host of health issues that has only served to slow us down even more than a lack of help has. She too has the desire to play the game but will be limited to only a brevet or maybe a ring one if her health holds up. I'm just taking it easy with her and if it happens great, if not I'm not going to stress over it. She's got the obedience part of it down pat and is a great learner who loves to work. But we're having some issues with the bitework.
Eve is my youngest Malinois and is a load of fun. She's a firery little dog with a lot of fight drive. I'm looking forward to trialing with her though it will be a while before she's ready.
User avatar
pocketpit
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1201
Location: WA

Postby Leslie H » July 24th, 2008, 9:58 pm

Great pictures. I loved seeing the off breeds too. I've never had the pleasure of seeing a good dobie worked in any sport. I know there's some out there. Was the brindle dog a bandog?
User avatar
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull
 
Posts: 372
Location: NW CT

Postby pocketpit » July 24th, 2008, 10:48 pm

Great pictures. I loved seeing the off breeds too. I've never had the pleasure of seeing a good dobie worked in any sport. I know there's some out there. Was the brindle dog a bandog?


The brindle dog is a Corso. He's amazingly agile despite his size and drop dead good looking. I love him.
This was actually a relatively diverse trial with a Corso, Bouvier, Shepherd, a mix breed dog and Brody who of course did not actually get to trial. There were a couple of other Bouviers during the seminar and another Dobe who was going to trial but pulled their entry since they clearly were not ready after open field day. And amongst the spectators their was a future ring Dobe pup, and two Beauceron puppies.
User avatar
pocketpit
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1201
Location: WA

Postby SisMorphine » July 24th, 2008, 11:10 pm

I've been tempted to play FR for a while, but the rulebook has turned me off quite a bit as far as the presentation of the handler (no tank tops?!) and the fact that the dog has to be tattooed (Teeny is not tattooed and I will not have her done until she has to go under for something . . . which hopefully will be never). Are those rules still the case?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.
 
Posts: 9231

Postby katiek0417 » July 24th, 2008, 11:22 pm

SisMorphine wrote:I've been tempted to play FR for a while, but the rulebook has turned me off quite a bit as far as the presentation of the handler (no tank tops?!) and the fact that the dog has to be tattooed (Teeny is not tattooed and I will not have her done until she has to go under for something . . . which hopefully will be never). Are those rules still the case?


I thought they could be microchipped....we tattooed Nisha after training one day...she tried to bite Don, then Greg lol

You're not supposed to wear tank tops in PSA, either...however, I break that rule a lot...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby SisMorphine » July 24th, 2008, 11:26 pm

katiek0417 wrote:You're not supposed to wear tank tops in PSA, either...however, I break that rule a lot...

I am morally opposed to sleeves . . . or I'm a sweaty pig and would much rather give my pits the option of airing out when necessary instead of turning into waterfalls. I wear tank tops year round.

I have a LONG history of hating and fighting dress codes. It's seriously one of the things that turns me away from sport work. I don't like rules put on me, damnit!!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.
 
Posts: 9231

Postby SisMorphine » July 24th, 2008, 11:49 pm

katiek0417 wrote:I thought they could be microchipped....we tattooed Nisha after training one day...she tried to bite Don, then Greg lol

I'm sure she did!! I hissed at my tattoo artist during my first tat. No joke. LOL!

I will ONLY do ear tattoos, will not do body tats. I also will not microchip my dogs. I guess I need to make a trip down to a Greyhound farm to get Teeny's ear "stamp" -tattooed. Is it because they're worried that someone will compete with a different dog and play it off as the one listed? That's a tad paranoid :shock:
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.
 
Posts: 9231

Postby BigDogBuford » July 24th, 2008, 11:53 pm

SisMorphine wrote:I have a LONG history of hating and fighting dress codes. It's seriously one of the things that turns me away from sport work. I don't like rules put on me, damnit!!!


I quit a job once because they were going to start making me wear a name tag.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
User avatar
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.
 
Posts: 2053
Location: Lake Stevens, WA

Postby CinderDee » July 25th, 2008, 12:59 am

Gorgeous pics!
Dee
User avatar
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer
 
Posts: 3414
Location: Forever in my heart...

Postby pocketpit » July 25th, 2008, 3:11 am

I've been tempted to play FR for a while, but the rulebook has turned me off quite a bit as far as the presentation of the handler (no tank tops?!) and the fact that the dog has to be tattooed (Teeny is not tattooed and I will not have her done until she has to go under for something . . . which hopefully will be never). Are those rules still the case?


Yes, those rules are still the case. There was talk a long time ago about allowing microchipping as a means of identification but it never went anywhere. I've done all my dogs tattoos while they were awake and never had an issue with it. Their skin is different and the ink does not have to be imbedded as deep as it does in humans. I wish microchipping was allowed because it's hard to find people around here that do tattoos on dogs. I have all of mine done on the inner thigh.

And when it's hot out, yes it's nice to be able to wear a tank top but unless you're in the upper levels you won't be on the field for that long really. You can easily switch back into your tank top after you walk off the field. The French are very formal people and since they founded the sport I would assume that would be the reason for the dress code. And to answer your question about the tattoo purpose, yes it's to prevent people from showing "ringers". In France the sport is huge. Trials are sometimes held in stadiums with stands packed with spectators. Clubs are so big that they train every day of the week just so everyone gets a chance to work their dogs. It would be very easy in that enviornment to pull off a switch a roo I guess.
User avatar
pocketpit
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1201
Location: WA

Postby katiek0417 » July 25th, 2008, 5:00 am

pocketpit wrote:
Yes, those rules are still the case. There was talk a long time ago about allowing microchipping as a means of identification but it never went anywhere. I've done all my dogs tattoos while they were awake and never had an issue with it. Their skin is different and the ink does not have to be imbedded as deep as it does in humans. I wish microchipping was allowed because it's hard to find people around here that do tattoos on dogs. I have all of mine done on the inner thigh.

And when it's hot out, yes it's nice to be able to wear a tank top but unless you're in the upper levels you won't be on the field for that long really. You can easily switch back into your tank top after you walk off the field. The French are very formal people and since they founded the sport I would assume that would be the reason for the dress code. And to answer your question about the tattoo purpose, yes it's to prevent people from showing "ringers". In France the sport is huge. Trials are sometimes held in stadiums with stands packed with spectators. Clubs are so big that they train every day of the week just so everyone gets a chance to work their dogs. It would be very easy in that enviornment to pull off a switch a roo I guess.


That makes sense.

It's hard to even find a tattoo press anymore (most places won't even sell it to you). We have the ear pinch one, and we do all of our puppies before they leave, but we had a couple of dogs that we got done when they were older (Nisha, Asja, etc).

Alyssa, if we come up there, we'll bring our tattoo thing, and we'll do it for you...of you could come down here sometime :wink:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby SisMorphine » July 25th, 2008, 9:23 am

If you've got the ear stamp one then count me in!! I definitely need to look into finding one for the future.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.
 
Posts: 9231

Postby katiek0417 » July 25th, 2008, 11:18 am

SisMorphine wrote:If you've got the ear stamp one then count me in!! I definitely need to look into finding one for the future.


Yep, it's the ear stamp one. You can have 5 letters or numbers (or a mix)

The ear stamp contraptions have actually been "outlawed" in this country. This one was bought before they outlawed it.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 25th, 2008, 11:31 am

Olivia was tattooed (inner thigh) instead of being microchipped, my moms vet in PA still does it.
User avatar
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully
 
Posts: 1834
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby SisMorphine » July 25th, 2008, 11:49 am

katiek0417 wrote:
SisMorphine wrote:If you've got the ear stamp one then count me in!! I definitely need to look into finding one for the future.


Yep, it's the ear stamp one. You can have 5 letters or numbers (or a mix)

The ear stamp contraptions have actually been "outlawed" in this country. This one was bought before they outlawed it.

Well that doesn't make sense because that's how all Greyhounds are tattooed.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.
 
Posts: 9231

Postby katiek0417 » July 25th, 2008, 1:38 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Well that doesn't make sense because that's how all Greyhounds are tattooed.


They usually get "passed down." That's how we got ours.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 25th, 2008, 2:42 pm

I think Leerburg sells the tattoo stuff, just as an FYI...
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
User avatar
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing
 
Posts: 15437
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby amazincc » July 25th, 2008, 3:02 pm

pocketpit wrote:
I

My male Doberman, Brody, has been ready for his ring 1 for a long time but he's been very dirty and it's taken me along time to clean him up.


What does that mean??? I take it you're not talking about mud. :?
User avatar
amazincc
Jessica & Mick
 
Posts: 9814
Location: Holding them both in my heart.

Postby amazincc » July 25th, 2008, 3:08 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I think Leerburg sells the tattoo stuff, just as an FYI...



They do. :)
http://leerburg.com/hauptner.htm
User avatar
amazincc
Jessica & Mick
 
Posts: 9814
Location: Holding them both in my heart.

Postby katiek0417 » July 25th, 2008, 4:31 pm

amazincc wrote:
pitbullmamaliz wrote:I think Leerburg sells the tattoo stuff, just as an FYI...



They do. :)
http://leerburg.com/hauptner.htm


Yeah, but note, he's getting them from Europe. If you try to order from a dog supply store (which used to carry them) you can no longer get them.

Christine, in response to what you asked Dawn about her dobie. I don't know if this is what she's referring to, but when I say my dog is getting dirty, I say that he/she is taking bites when it's not supposed to (in the guard, in obedience, during a transport, etc).
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

PreviousNext

Return to Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users