Fleas

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby cheekymunkee » April 1st, 2006, 1:47 pm

Time to break out the Frontline. Last year I used garlic & remained flea free but I just noticed one on Justice. She has terrible flea allergies & I saw her scratching last night. I guess we are going to have an extra tough season this year since we had such a mild winter. I want to add that I DID use Frontline up until I started them on garlic, that may have been part of the reason why it was so succesful but I didn't use Frontline ONCE last spring or even fall.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » April 1st, 2006, 3:39 pm

Flea Season - UGH!!!!!
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby bahamutt99 » April 1st, 2006, 6:27 pm

Thought you Texans didn't get fleas, just fire-ants. :wink:
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 1st, 2006, 8:21 pm

Well the fire-ants kill the fleas & the mosquitoes kill the fire ants. :wink:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » April 1st, 2006, 8:26 pm

mine got their garlic tonight..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Malli » April 1st, 2006, 10:13 pm

Oscar has had his advantage all winter. Mum is paranoid about flea allergies :oops:

The war is ON!!
I'll take all the fleas! :evil:

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » April 2nd, 2006, 10:41 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Well the fire-ants kill the fleas & the mosquitoes kill the fire ants. :wink:

Oh, good, so then you only have to worry about heartworm from the mosquitos??? :wink:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby panda » April 2nd, 2006, 11:00 pm

Mine get Frontline all year around just to be safe.................
Dead Dog Walking Pit Bull Rescue
http://deaddogwalkingpitbullrescue.org/
panda
Loyally Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » April 2nd, 2006, 11:34 pm

I'm surprised that so many people put Frontline on all year. :shock:

Why put poison on your pet when it isnt necessary? I think its funny that the package says that its dangerous to get it on your hands, but its fine to put it on your dog. :|

My vet only tells people to put Frontline on during flea season. I dont see ANY reason to do otherwise.
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 2nd, 2006, 11:49 pm

I only use it if I see fleas. With Munkee's allergies & the cats rubbing all over the dogs I don't want to take any chances with any of them getting sick. We have flea season pretty much all year here but I worry about using it if I don't see fleas.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 3rd, 2006, 10:29 am

I will put it on them if I see a flea, but only for that month. I used advantage one month out of 12 last year. I do not like putting any chemicals on them if I don't have to. Citrus, cedar shavings, brewers yeast and garlic are all natural flea repellants.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby SisMorphine » April 3rd, 2006, 10:37 am

I won't use Frontline. After using it on Wally he was insanely itchy for a week and refused to talk to me. My friend's cat had a reaction that involved a HUGE open wound on his neck that took over a year to heal. And it sent my sister to the ER with a very bad allergic reaction.

I use Advantix and only during tick season. We don't really have a flea problem up here, but ticks are a biznitch. I pulled one off of Wally yesterday so I'll have to pick some up today and dose him tomorrow.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » April 3rd, 2006, 10:51 am

Yeah, Munkee gets really upset with me when I first put it on him. He does that with ALL of them though so I think it just a "feel sorry for me" thing. I use Frontline because it seems to last longer than the others. It says to reapply every 30 days but I have gone up to 2 months in between applications when I wasn't using garlic.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SisMorphine » April 3rd, 2006, 10:57 am

I do Wally every 2 months unless the ticks are SUPER BAD (seriously, if there's a tick capital of the US I swear I'm living in it) then it's once a month. This year he is getting garlic, though, which he wasn't getting last year. So I hope it helps!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Purple » April 3rd, 2006, 11:49 am

I will use it once or twice during the warm months. Knock on wood, fleas and ticks don't seem to be a huge issue here.
On Friday we are going to have their bloodwork done for the heartworm test...all four to the vet at the same time....now that's a good time!
Purple
I live here

Postby concreterose » April 3rd, 2006, 12:29 pm

Diatomaceous Earth

I haven't used Frontline in years and haven't had one flea. I use it for ants too (we have them really bad because of a neighbor's dead tree that he won't cut down.

I won't use it outside in my yard though, I want all my earthworms!
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 3rd, 2006, 12:45 pm

concreterose wrote:Diatomaceous Earth

I haven't used Frontline in years and haven't had one flea. I use it for ants too (we have them really bad because of a neighbor's dead tree that he won't cut down.

And you just rub it into their fur? Do you do it daily?

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby concreterose » April 3rd, 2006, 12:51 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:
concreterose wrote:Diatomaceous Earth

And you just rub it into their fur? Do you do it daily?

There is horticultural DE and food grade. I use food grade and add it to their food when it starts getting warm. It's great for worms too (I don't use HW preventative, I just test every six months). You can rub it in their fur to kill live fleas and eggs. You can sprinkle it on carpets, let it set for a bit, then vacuum it up. If you sprinkle it on carpets, be careful not to let them breathe the dust...it irritates nasal passages. Also, if you have asthma or bronchitis be careful not to breathe the dust.

If you sprinkle it in window sills,door jambs,etc. it will dry ants and flies right out when they light on it. I applied some about two years ago and I am just now needing to reapply.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 3rd, 2006, 12:55 pm

Wow!! I am starting to get ants inside, I think I am going to look for some of that. I'd much rather not use chemicals on the puppies and if I can keep them flea free with this & garlic I will be very happy!!

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby concreterose » April 3rd, 2006, 1:46 pm

This is what I use. I am sure that there are other products out there too. Do a search on food grade DE and you may be able to find it cheaper.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health