Neighbors Help Dogs Out of Hot Car

Ask questions about Animal Control situations and local laws. Several of our members are ACOs and we'll try our best to help you! Please note: this area is not for "bashing" Animal Control Officers.

Postby Marinepits » July 20th, 2008, 6:34 pm

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?secti ... id=6276237

Neighbors help dogs out of hot carSunday, July 20, 2008 | 6:15 PM

By Carolina LeidNEW YORK (WABC) -- A group of neighbors on Manhattan's upper west side took action when they noticed at least half a dozen dogs left inside a sweltering car with the windows closed.
They liberated the animals and then blasted their owner.
Nearly a dozen upper west side neighbors against one woman as they say she left her dogs trapped in an SUV for more than an hour.
The dogs panted in the blistering heat while neighbors neared an all out drag down fight.
The neighbors didn't just call police they stepped in.
After someone opened the unattended SUV a few neighbors put the seven dogs on leashes and offered them much needed water.
When the dog's owner returned, that's when things got ugly.
A tug of war between the owner and neighbors with the dogs caught in the middle.
The owner tried to go home with her dogs while neighbors refused to let them go.
Police stepped in, ultimately hauling 48-year-old Philomena McNamara away in handcuffs.
McNamara called the Eyewitness News assignment desk several times Saturday afternoon.
She say it was poor judgement on her part but neighbors overreacted.
People at the scene had mixed emotions.
McNamara wallked away with a summons for animal cruelty and New York City animal care and control took the dogs.
An animal control spokesperson tells Eyewitness News all 7 dogs are at the east 110th street shelter. They're in good health. They'll stay there until everthing is worked out.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
User avatar
Marinepits
Proud Infidel
 
Posts: 15621
Location: New England

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 20th, 2008, 6:42 pm

Yay for people who actually stepped up! :clap:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
User avatar
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing
 
Posts: 15437
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby airwalk » July 20th, 2008, 6:48 pm

This call is the number one frustration for ACO's nationwide in the heat. How hard is it to not take your dog and how many times have you heard or read or been told....don't leave your dog in the car. Yay for neighbors that care and Yay for NY for giving her summons
User avatar
airwalk
I live here
 
Posts: 3791
Location: Oregon

Postby BigDogBuford » July 20th, 2008, 6:51 pm

airwalk wrote:This call is the number one frustration for ACO's nationwide in the heat. How hard is it to not take your dog and how many times have you heard or read or been told....don't leave your dog in the car. Yay for neighbors that care and Yay for NY for giving her summons


People can't even figure it out with babies, let along dogs. :nono:
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
User avatar
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.
 
Posts: 2053
Location: Lake Stevens, WA

Postby airwalk » July 20th, 2008, 6:52 pm

So true.,..but if you are a School teacher/administrator and forget you have your baby in the car and cook it...because you are so busy, they will simply forgive you (read plenty of sarcasm there please)
User avatar
airwalk
I live here
 
Posts: 3791
Location: Oregon

Postby iluvk9 » July 20th, 2008, 7:01 pm

It was about 90 degrees and humid as hell in NYC today.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!
 
Posts: 14900
Location: New York

Postby airwalk » July 20th, 2008, 7:05 pm

BTW Joyce I wasn't shooting at School teachers/administrators in general...just one in particular from last summer.
User avatar
airwalk
I live here
 
Posts: 3791
Location: Oregon

Postby Marinepits » July 20th, 2008, 7:56 pm

All I did yesterday and today was drive from one end of town to the other, repeatedly doing calls about dogs locked in hot cars. I actually had a woman get offended with me yesterday after I pulled her out of a store to check on her dogs that she left in her car. The original report came to me as two dogs left in a car in a parking lot for 25 minutes.

She told me that she has had dogs for 30 years and never hurt any of them. Oh, yeah? What do you call leaving dogs out in the sun on a hot, humid day, while your ass shops? I don't care if your windows are halfway open -- my temperature guage puts the interior of your car at 104 degrees! The hatch area of the car (with no windows) was 114 degrees! :mad2:

The woman kept arguing with me and I finally told her "If you continue, I will be HAPPY to arrest you for felony animal cruelty." That shut her up, but she still managed to throw her license at me. :cuss: At that point I told her that she is now in our database and the next time I caught her, she WOULD be arrested for felony animal cruelty, no questions asked.

Unfortunately in CT, I have only one option for people like that -- arrest for felony animal cruelty. And that is damn difficult to prove. This particular case didn't meet the criteri and there are no misdemeanor tickets or other options.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
User avatar
Marinepits
Proud Infidel
 
Posts: 15621
Location: New England

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 20th, 2008, 7:58 pm

If I take Inara someplace with me in the summer, I'll leave the AC running in the car - I just use my remote control to lock it. I still won't leave her in the car for more than 5-10 minutes, but at least the AC is running! I get some strange looks, but this way she's not cooped up at home in her crate as much.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
User avatar
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing
 
Posts: 15437
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby iluvk9 » July 20th, 2008, 8:49 pm

airwalk wrote:BTW Joyce I wasn't shooting at School teachers/administrators in general...just one in particular from last summer.


I know. Every barrel has a few bad apples.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!
 
Posts: 14900
Location: New York

Postby airwalk » July 20th, 2008, 9:17 pm

On Thursday last week, we had an idioto decide to leave his car parked right in front of our offices with his very senior Pom in it while he attended a meeting.....so we watched, we waited, we kept getting temperature readings...if it would have gone any further, we would have called the Sheriff's Office to break in.

The "gentleman" was very upset with us because he had a card on his windshied - to please call one of our Officers - he came in instead and was quite pissy....until I gave him the temperature readings we had been taking every 10 minutes and I could show him how it kep climbing and I told him we were preparing to call the Sheriff's Office to break his window and arrest him....he was still pissy - but quietly.

I'll bet he doesn't park in front of our building again...he'll leave the Pom in the car...just not in front of me.
User avatar
airwalk
I live here
 
Posts: 3791
Location: Oregon

Postby CinderDee » July 20th, 2008, 9:34 pm

I don't get how these people think it's ok to leave a dog in the car in this heat. Kato was panting after 10 mins outside yesterday. I felt like I was going to melt on the spot.
Dee
User avatar
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer
 
Posts: 3414
Location: Forever in my heart...

Postby iluvk9 » July 21st, 2008, 6:59 am

Dee, Truman is the same in weather above 80.

I saw a video of the woman with the dogs in NYC. A few looked like Huskys or Mals and one looked like a Standard Poodle. They really did look "exhuasted". :(
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!
 
Posts: 14900
Location: New York

Postby SLS61185 » July 21st, 2008, 9:02 am

People come to eat where I work and leave their dog in their cars. Mind you, on the weekends the wait is a good 10-15 minutes sometimes. People watch these cars and come in and let us know what's going on out there. We have to call our managers because we're not allowed to do anything. We can't have the people come up to the cash counter. Lady came in today and said she'd called the cops on this car from Canda because the people left their dog in the car for 20 minutes while they were eating, no window down or anything. I'm not sure what happened after that, because no one ever said anything to me about it again. I just don't understand it. I don't take Patch anywhere with me when it's hot out, unless there's an absolute need.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
User avatar
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup
 
Posts: 153
Location: Spotsylvania, Virginia

Postby katiek0417 » July 21st, 2008, 9:17 am

Luckily, I do work my dogs in the heat just so that they're used to it...mainly b/c we've trialled in the heat, and they've had to be in the car at trials.

If I have to leave my dogs in the car, they have fans going on them, they have a "cooler aire" running, all the windows are down, the back hatch is up, and the sunroof is vented...and they're parked in the shade (at trials or training). I also have a remote temperature gauge that "alarms" me if it gets above a certain temperature...

If, I am running into a store, I usually leave my car running using my remote start "convenience store" option (allows me to keep the car running after I've taken the keys out)...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby Michele » July 21st, 2008, 11:15 am

unreal.....it was like a sauna yesterday in New York..what the hell is wrong with people?
Fight BSL
Michele
Loyally Bully
 
Posts: 686
Location: New York, New York

Postby CinderDee » July 21st, 2008, 1:08 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Dee, Truman is the same in weather above 80.



Kate was never bothered by the heat before. I don't know why it's affecting him this year, but I'm glad I have a/c.

Truman takes after his mom. lol
Dee
User avatar
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer
 
Posts: 3414
Location: Forever in my heart...

Postby mnp13 » July 21st, 2008, 3:33 pm

SLS61185 wrote:People come to eat where I work and leave their dog in their cars. Mind you, on the weekends the wait is a good 10-15 minutes sometimes. People watch these cars and come in and let us know what's going on out there. We have to call our managers because we're not allowed to do anything. We can't have the people come up to the cash counter. Lady came in today and said she'd called the cops on this car from Canda because the people left their dog in the car for 20 minutes while they were eating, no window down or anything. I'm not sure what happened after that, because no one ever said anything to me about it again. I just don't understand it. I don't take Patch anywhere with me when it's hot out, unless there's an absolute need.


I would suggest you say this "Due to company policy I can not do anything, however, you may place a call to 911 to have an officer take care of the situation."
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
User avatar
mnp13
Evil Overlord
 
Posts: 17232
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby Malli » July 21st, 2008, 4:11 pm

I was thinking to get copies of a "dog in a hot car" sheet from the spca, and just start leaving under people's wipers.

Usually now I just leave the AC on for Oscar, even here where it doesn't get that warm (80-85 Farenheit outside).
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
_______________________________________
"You didn't know of the magical powers of the break stick? It's up there with genies and Harry Potter as far as magic levels go." SisMorphine 01/07/07
User avatar
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!
 
Posts: 6341
Location: CANADA EH?

Postby SLS61185 » July 23rd, 2008, 4:13 am

mnp13 wrote:
SLS61185 wrote:People come to eat where I work and leave their dog in their cars. Mind you, on the weekends the wait is a good 10-15 minutes sometimes. People watch these cars and come in and let us know what's going on out there. We have to call our managers because we're not allowed to do anything. We can't have the people come up to the cash counter. Lady came in today and said she'd called the cops on this car from Canda because the people left their dog in the car for 20 minutes while they were eating, no window down or anything. I'm not sure what happened after that, because no one ever said anything to me about it again. I just don't understand it. I don't take Patch anywhere with me when it's hot out, unless there's an absolute need.


I would suggest you say this "Due to company policy I can not do anything, however, you may place a call to 911 to have an officer take care of the situation."



I've always thought about saying it, but knowing everyone there, they'd find a reason to complain about it. It's a lose-lose situation there.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
User avatar
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup
 
Posts: 153
Location: Spotsylvania, Virginia

Next

Return to ACO Questions and Answers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron