Zoinks, an Attack in PA....

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Purple » January 10th, 2006, 12:36 pm

Neighbors Worry About Dog Attack

Benji, a Yorkie, was attacked by at least one pit bull and had to be put down.

Monday, January 9, 5:20 p.m.
By Bob Reynolds

A family pet was killed in a vicious attack by at least one pit bull and now neighbors are afraid for their childrens' safety. They want the dogs destroyed.

A dog law warden is investigation the deadly attack on a seven year old Yorkie named Benji. It happened in the dog's backyard in Hazleton when at least two pit bulls jumped a fence and attacked him.

"Horrible. I thought it was a nightmare at first. I cannot believe it happened. I can't even eat and I can't sleep since this happened," said dog owner Terri Lloyd.

It all started last week when Benji was put out in his fenced in back yard. Investigators believe the pit bulls got out of a neighbor's yard, jumped the fence and attacked Benji.

"He had a slash, shoulder to shoulder. His eye was out. He had internal bleeding and his lung was punctured," said owner Marianne Winters.

"I want them to suffer like mine did. Putting them down, they aren't going to suffer. I want them to suffer like my dog did," said Lloyd.

Benji was rushed to a veterinarian but the damage so severe that he had to be put to sleep.

"I could not let him suffer. We walked around and discussed it and finally we decided for his best bet, not ours, to try and keep him alive for us while he's suffering isn't going to help," Winters added.

Other family members fear for children in the neighborhood.

"When they come across the street here to visit me or when my granddaughter comes over with the kids they could come out of that yard and attack them," said neighbor Art Lloyd.

The owner of the pit bulls declined to comment about the attack. City officials said the issue will go before a judge who could order the attacking pit bulls destroyed.
Purple
I live here

Postby Romanwild » January 10th, 2006, 12:52 pm

Same ol', same ol'! :roll:

First, I feel great sympathy for the owner of the yorkie.

But the rest ofs it... :roll:

The yorkie owner is mad at the dogs and not the owner of the pit bulls. When will people get it throught their head?

Because a small dog was killed children are next???? animal aggression / human agression...2 different things folks.

The judge will decide the fate of the dogs...what about the owner???? :x

Finally, the reporter. How about getting the other side of the story from someone who actually knows dog behavior. :cuss:

One of the objectives of my club is to talk with the media about these issues when they happen. Ideally before.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby pibblegrl » January 10th, 2006, 12:57 pm

Poor little guy.
When can we start a stupid human ban? Forbid reproducing, make them wear muzzles when out in public. Thew press has really got to :getNew:
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Purple » January 10th, 2006, 1:00 pm

It's so cliche now, it's pathetic. It's my local news station that reported this.....www.wnep.com
Purple
I live here

Postby Romanwild » January 10th, 2006, 1:04 pm

You should offer an interview Purple. You can do it!

What we have to remember is the press loves pit bull stuff, good or bad. I guarantee they will be over to your house in no time flat. :wink:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Maryellen » January 10th, 2006, 1:05 pm

damit.. why cant people CONTROL THEIR DOGS???????????????????? PA is a non bsl state.. wait and see folks, someone will get it in their head to try to pass bsl...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby pibblegrl » January 10th, 2006, 1:06 pm

Maryellen wrote:damit.. why cant people CONTROL THEIR DOGS???????????????????? PA is a non bsl state.. wait and see folks, someone will get it in their head to try to pass bsl...

Yeah, that crap spreads worse than a disease. :evil:
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby BullyVW » January 10th, 2006, 6:07 pm

Same old same old it right. A lot of paranoa, though. They assume that since the dogs attacked a yorkie that children are next. Someone in that area needs to write a reaction (hint hint....).

To make anyone feel somewhat better, at least it hasn't become big news here...I live 45 minutes south of that area and nothing even made the papers as of yet.
BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby luvmyangels » January 10th, 2006, 6:26 pm

It is a shame all around.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Purple » January 11th, 2006, 12:45 pm

I did reply, it's not posted yet. Here is their message thread, have at it!

http://www.wnep.com/Global/link.asp?L=1 ... 5&dstart=0
Purple
I live here

Postby BullyVW » January 11th, 2006, 3:41 pm

I responded too!
BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby jmb06 » January 19th, 2006, 3:11 pm

Nah...Hazleton won't even try to go the BSL route. They did try that, and it didn't fly.

Instead they enacted a dangerous dog ordinance, which would make more sense if they put someone other than the only health inspector in charge of enforcing it :rolleyes2:
jmb06
Just Whelped

Postby annieinpa » January 19th, 2006, 8:15 pm

Purple, I've sent an email to bob reynolds the sr. reporter on wnep 16 regarding the pit bull attack in hazleton (which is 10-15mins from me0. I asked him if he would consider doing a positive report on pit bulls.

I explained to him that they are police dogs, therapy dogs, family dogs. and all they report regarding dog attacks is pit bull breeds. I also sent him a video from bless the bullys.

I have it posted under Pit Talk forum. I hope he will consider doing it. i will keep all updated on that.

last yr. hazleton was thinking and trying to put a ban on owning pitties in Hazleton. so far that didn't work.
annieinpa
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Purple » January 19th, 2006, 8:24 pm

I'm guessing you watch channel 16, too, huh?
Purple
I live here

Postby annieinpa » January 19th, 2006, 8:33 pm

yep. I'm happy that alot of pit owners typed a response to the attack. And they were all good responses. It ticked me off tha the one guy said pit bulls are not family dogs.

He is very wrong. I had my pit when I was pregnant w/my youngest son. my pit grew up w/my youngest. they are both 3yrs old.

our pit sleeps w/my children, loves licking to death, and is a huge baby. Petie picks who he wants to sleep w/at night.

I use to be one of those people who said,"I'd never own a pit bull, all you hear is bad stuff about them". When my hubby bought him home I couldn't turn him away. I was very wrong on judging the breed and boy am I glad I was wrong.

I love having a pit.

sorry to be babbling so much.
annieinpa
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby BullyVW » January 22nd, 2006, 8:22 pm

Hopefully next week I'll be saying welcome to the neighborhood.
BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby annieinpa » January 23rd, 2006, 12:11 am

bsmith, as long as you don't live in Hazleton you'll be good. Hazleton is going to crap also. They are talking about getting immigration to set up an office in Hazleton.

The public school is very overcrowed. They're still trying to find solutions to that. They also arrested kids from school because the kids are taking weapons with them (so much for the metal detectors).

I'm not trying to scare you, just want you to know about Hazleton itself.

We had 4 murders within 2 week period (never happened before).

That's why we decided to move our family a little further away from Hazleton.

If you want to know any more about the area let me know.
annieinpa
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby BullyVW » January 23rd, 2006, 12:19 am

Come to Bethlehem!
BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby jmb06 » January 23rd, 2006, 9:35 am

I was just thinking "WHY would anyone WANT to move to Hazleton???" :?

There is crime everywhere, the schools have declined so much in terms of quality education, the job market is anything but decent, I could go on and on.

Although we don't have BSL, the owner of the Yorkie that was attacked has met with Todd Eachus. We need to set him straight on the facts before he tries to pursue something needless.
jmb06
Just Whelped

Next

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL