Guess what I got?

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby Marinepits » July 17th, 2008, 3:46 pm

BullyLady wrote:
Magnolia618 wrote:Turn him into a horse :|

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa15 ... ous042.jpg

SisMorphine wrote:My advice is to get a nice short trim but don't have him shaved. When you shave a double coated breed they have a difficult time regulating their body temperature in both cold and heat if you shave them down.

Two widely varying schools of thought. During my years of grooming, I shaved down quite a few goldens and shelties, and even a Malamute once (he managed to roll in some road tar :rolleyes2: ). Many of the over-bred goldens have ridiculously thick coats that never dry out after swimming and lots of them around here spend all day in the local ponds and lakes -- it's better to shave down the dog and spare him the skin conditions that result from chronically damp skin. As long as some simple precautions are taken (sunscreen, staying away from temperature extremes, and I NEVER shaved a dog down during the winter months) the dog won't come to any harm.

My neighbor's sheltie is a far happier dog once his HUGE over-bred coat is shaved off. He's a fearful snapping bastard when you try to detangle his undercoat and he's only gotten worse as he's gotten older. So, I do what is best for him.

Of course, they aren't shaved to the skin -- I usually use a 5F or 7F blade.

On the other side of the argument, I had many Labrador owners ask me to shave their dogs simply to "cut down on the shedding". I refused every time.

Personally, I don't like the look, but if an owner is not capable of maintaining a thick coated dog or if the dog is very uncooperative, then I will do whatever causes the least amount of stress for the dog.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » July 17th, 2008, 3:52 pm

I cut the fur off his butt, the knots out from behind his ears and the long fluffy things off the back of his legs. :) Just call me Scissorhands.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby airwalk » July 17th, 2008, 4:33 pm

We don't want to know what caused the long things off the back of his legs...
airwalk
I live here

Postby gayrghts » July 17th, 2008, 4:43 pm

i think she's just talking about the feathering fur on the back of his legs....

airwalk wrote:We don't want to know what caused the long things off the back of his legs...
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby jmashaney » July 17th, 2008, 5:30 pm

From one fellow sucker to another, thanks for taking him in! I hope that he settles in well, and it seems like you are doing everything right to see that he does.
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby iluvk9 » July 17th, 2008, 6:24 pm

jmashaney wrote:From one fellow sucker to another, thanks for taking him in! I hope that he settles in well, and it seems like you are doing everything right to see that he does.

Thank you. Want to be the Pres or VP of The Sucker Club?

Heather, you are correct....feathers.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby nicole » July 17th, 2008, 8:40 pm

Joyce, I can relate to the apprehension you feel with Astro...I took in Sophia pretty much without knowing anything about her but we were able to see a huge difference in a matter of weeks just by keeping things simple. I'm not a behaviorist or trainer by any means, but we had lots of luck dealing with Sophia this way, so I hope I can help you out here.

The shelter had Sophia labeled as a "moderate aggressive". I take these evals with a grain of salt, but I was still guarded with her. She was very nervous and overly submissive towards any fast hand movements, invasive handling or loud noises and I was afraid that she would bite out of fear. She wasn't as bold as Astro, but she did give a low growl towards my sister at one point (when she approached her too close from behind)...so I knew the potential was there.

What worked very well for us was just to avoid over stimulation for the first couple of weeks. She was kept in a seperate room as the other dogs with a baby gate, so she could smell and hear things going on and feel involved...just not have the pressure of direct interaction. (we actually had to crate & rotate for 2 months b/c of their breeds...probably not necessary with your pups) I think its good that you have him on leash so you can keep an eye on him at all times and he gets to be around you and just take in the environment. I avoided being overly affectionate with her, no over head petting, hugging, kissing or rubbing...just some verbal praise if she did something good. This allowed her to slowly drop her guard while intergrating into our family, and it allowed for us to learn her cues while keeping stress levels low. Maybe wait on the nail trim so you gain his trust and till you feel more confident with him?

I think you are doing great and I really hope that things work out with Astro! I hope this helped
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby iluvk9 » July 18th, 2008, 2:59 pm

Thanks Nicole. I am trying to do all the things you have mentioned. Actually, I am trying EVERYTHING everyone has mentioned! 8)

He seems calmer today. He actually played with a toy that I introduced him to. BIG STEP, since he never had toys.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » July 18th, 2008, 7:44 pm

I played, "who's wearing the muzzle!" and cut 8 nails. :dance: The ninth one started to annoy him, so I stopped.

And why is it that EVERYONE just MUST go in the crate when someone new shows up?

iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » July 18th, 2008, 7:57 pm

aw, everyone seems to like him! :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » July 18th, 2008, 8:37 pm

Malli wrote:aw, everyone seems to like him! :)

Just not Harleybird yet. :sad2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » July 18th, 2008, 8:44 pm

Rut-roh. I was wondering why I didn't see him in any of the vids.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » July 18th, 2008, 8:54 pm

maybe he has noticed all the extra attention that Astro is getting?

he needs some grooming, too :rolleyes2:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 18th, 2008, 9:02 pm

maybe you should vet wrap him if he's feeling left out.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby iluvk9 » July 19th, 2008, 10:02 am

LaylaWoobie wrote:maybe you should vet wrap him if he's feeling left out.

LMAO You crack me up.

Harleybird is a very strange bird. The only reason they haven't had a fight is because Harley is unbelievably obedient and I make him stand by my side if Astro is off leash and playing with Truman. But I can never trust them together.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 19th, 2008, 10:21 am

why is his name harleybird?

(maybe this was explained before I got here...but tell me anywho) :D
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby iluvk9 » July 19th, 2008, 4:01 pm

LaylaWoobie wrote:why is his name harleybird?

(maybe this was explained before I got here...but tell me anywho) :D

His "real" name is Harley. I brought him home as my 4th dog and wasn't sure if husband was going to appreciate another dog. (For some reason, I cared what he said at that point.... 8) ) Anyway, I let him name him so he would let him stay. He is such a goofy dog that his name just evolved into Harleybird. :| His nickname is Bird.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby airwalk » July 19th, 2008, 4:05 pm

iluvk9 wrote:
jmashaney wrote:From one fellow sucker to another, thanks for taking him in! I hope that he settles in well, and it seems like you are doing everything right to see that he does.

Thank you. Want to be the Pres or VP of The Sucker Club?

Heather, you are correct....feathers.

I figured that...don't you just hate it when a punch line falls flat.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » July 29th, 2008, 4:08 pm

Aww... Sorry for the delayed "Welcome to the family" to your new kid!
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby iluvk9 » July 29th, 2008, 4:57 pm

Fear_the_Sheeple wrote:Aww... Sorry for the delayed "Welcome to the family" to your new kid!

Thanks! Things have been going smoothly as time goes on.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

PreviousNext

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members