Guess what I got?

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby maberi » July 15th, 2008, 7:59 pm

Sounds like things are progressing as good as they possible can considering he is in a completely new environment.

Miss Karma won't let me touch her nails. I have given up on that one
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby BullyLady » July 15th, 2008, 8:00 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Well, he "let me" use scissors on his butt and stomach to cut the fur back. He "let me" clean his ears again. He ate the Cepha pill right out of my hand, not knowing what it was, I guess. He also played with Truman a little.

I didn't feel like he was going to bite me, so I guess that is good. I starting playing with the muzzle with him so he will get used to it, because soon I have to clip those nails WAY down. :shocker:

If they are that long then I would seriously consider doing a surgical trim and just starting fresh.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby iluvk9 » July 15th, 2008, 8:02 pm

I actually considered that, but to be honest, I just spent over $650 on a dog that likes to bite me and may or may not have more medical problems. I am going to muzzle the sucker and do one a day.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby BullyLady » July 15th, 2008, 8:08 pm

Holy moly!!! Wow, that's alot spent already. Yea, surgical trimming is sure not cheap, and if you think you can handle it then go for it! It's always a good option to keep in mind though, if you can't get them short enough to be comfortable for the dog. I am somewhat of a dog toenail fanatic.
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby amazincc » July 15th, 2008, 8:16 pm

Joyces dogs are more comfortable than most people I know. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BullyLady » July 15th, 2008, 8:18 pm

amazincc wrote:Joyces dogs are more comfortable than most people I know. :wink:

I don't doubt it for one second!
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby lellis34 » July 16th, 2008, 2:31 pm

Just saw this thread! Congrats on the new addition. Sounds like he's going to be some work, but that'll make it all the more rewarding in the end when he's that wonderful doggie you knew he could be.
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby iluvk9 » July 16th, 2008, 4:18 pm

lellis34 wrote: Sounds like he's going to be some work, but that'll make it all the more rewarding in the end when he's that wonderful doggie you knew he could be.

I keep hoping! Thanks!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby call2arms » July 16th, 2008, 7:30 pm

If he's big enough, harness him and Truman to a mini-cart and have them haul you around town! :D

Tired dogs are good dogs, I'm sure he'd let you do anything you want after that.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » July 16th, 2008, 7:58 pm

call2arms wrote:Tired dogs are good dogs...

I wish this were true with Astro. :rolleyes2: He hasn't gotten nasty again, BUT I am being sooooo cautious. He is so overweight, and tires out after 5 minutes of rough-housing with Truman. But I still don't trust him. :confused: Just my gut feeling, I guess.

I ordered him a basket muzzle since the cloth one I have for Truman is a bit too constricting. I am thinking if I get him accustomed to it, he can wear it once we get to the Vet's for his recheck. I can also use it for anything else that seems to piss him off when I try to "persuade him".
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » July 16th, 2008, 9:31 pm

I'm not a big fan of muzzles, but if you have to use one, you have to use one. I'd suggest you make the muzzle a GREAT thing, not just what you stick on him when bad things are about to happen. Put hot dog pieces in it so he stuffs his face into it to get them. Let him play with it on, have him wear it in the house, make it the most wonderful part of his life.

Be careful that he doesn't view the muzzle as the bad guy, or you may end up with a devil on your hands every time he sees it come out.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » July 16th, 2008, 9:41 pm

mnp13 wrote:I'm not a big fan of muzzles, but if you have to use one, you have to use one. I'd suggest you make the muzzle a GREAT thing, not just what you stick on him when bad things are about to happen. Put hot dog pieces in it so he stuffs his face into it to get them. Let him play with it on, have him wear it in the house, make it the most wonderful part of his life.

Be careful that he doesn't view the muzzle as the bad guy, or you may end up with a devil on your hands every time he sees it come out.

Michelle brings up a good point...she knows I know this situation all too well...

Can I get a surgical cutdown of nails? I may have to do it to Rocky...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby BullyLady » July 16th, 2008, 10:22 pm

katiek0417 wrote:
Michelle brings up a good point...she knows I know this situation all too well...

Can I get a surgical cutdown of nails? I may have to do it to Rocky...

Sure, why couldn't Rocky have a surgical cutdown? :|
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby airwalk » July 16th, 2008, 10:29 pm

I'm gonna jump in here and probably get smacked..but Joyce I think, from your descriptions, you are doing fine. A new home, new people, new expectations, new dogs, new smells, new routines, a trip to the vet, probably a change in food and the amount of food, new parameters, grooming...this dog has frankly handled a lot of it pretty well from your descriptions.

My advise, be patient, it may take 90 days for him to settle down and understand what you expect and become confident in a stable environment. Now that said, in 90 days you may have the same dog just more confident in his snarkiness...but you may have a really nice dog too.
airwalk
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » July 16th, 2008, 11:15 pm

airwalk wrote:I'm gonna jump in here and probably get smacked..but Joyce I think, from your descriptions, you are doing fine. A new home, new people, new expectations, new dogs, new smells, new routines, a trip to the vet, probably a change in food and the amount of food, new parameters, grooming...this dog has frankly handled a lot of it pretty well from your descriptions.

My advise, be patient, it may take 90 days for him to settle down and understand what you expect and become confident in a stable environment. Now that said, in 90 days you may have the same dog just more confident in his snarkiness...but you may have a really nice dog too.

Agree...basically, you're doing what foster homes usually do with rescue dogs...going through the bad stuff. :|
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » July 17th, 2008, 7:34 am

I "trained" Truman to like his muzzle. :) He never liked his Lab ears cleaned :rolleyes2: so I started him young and did make it a game. I will try that with Astro. Last night he wore Truman's cloth one on his head, around his neck and then on his mouth a few seconds.

Thanks for the encouragement. I tend to want immediate results (I am a Virgo) and things really should be my way, when I want them. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Magnolia618 » July 17th, 2008, 9:23 am

“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby BullyLady » July 17th, 2008, 12:21 pm

Magnolia618 wrote:Turn him into a horse :|

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa15 ... ous042.jpg

SisMorphine wrote:My advice is to get a nice short trim but don't have him shaved. When you shave a double coated breed they have a difficult time regulating their body temperature in both cold and heat if you shave them down.
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby nicole » July 17th, 2008, 1:20 pm

Joyce, how are things going with Astro?

cute name..."Ruh-Roh! I Ruv you, Reorge"
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby iluvk9 » July 17th, 2008, 3:20 pm

To be honest, Nicole, I am nervous. I don't push him to do anything he doesn't want to do. Even simple things like going outside after eating, like mine do.

I have the long leash on him at all times, and he just lays there like a big potatoe. I am worried that if I try to get him outside (and he doesn't want to) he will hold his ground, not get up and then he will snap/bite me.

:sad2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

PreviousNext

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members