Stuuuupid people shouldn't own dogs

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 2nd, 2006, 1:14 pm

I ask you, what is so hard about following the leash law?

I'm sure we've all been there:
You are enjoying a nice walk with your dog and some idiot has there dog off lead which then proceeds to come barreling at you full speed while they either ignore it or yell don't worry he/she is friendly as they obviously aren't UUUGH

I was walking Patcheeno today and 2 men ( one in his late 40s the other in his 60s) where playing with him. A large GSD mix comes running which I had seen out of the corner of my eye. I proceed to back away from the dog and men slowly and it comes faster. I let them know there is a loose dog.
Now it is really close. Patcheeno is already posturing and NOT happy.
I pull put my Pepper spray as I'm yelling to get the dog and at the dog to get away trying to make myself look imtimidating to it. I then proceed to throw Patcheeno's bag of poop at him, LOL Too bad the bag wasn't opened ( I have good aim). Meanwhile the 2 guys just stand there and the owner hangs back watching from the yard. One I hear mumble , "I don't know how he got out"

Now I yell get the dog or I will have to spray him and finally the moron comes to get him.

You would think first off they would have helped in some way. Chivalry is truly dead at least in my neighborhood.

To top it off the one guy then says something like "yay you don't want your dog getting a hold of him" That ticked me off too :cuss:

I proceeded to say calmly that no one should have to put up with a off lead dog charging them.

So much for my nice walk. Now I don't want to take the others as who knows if this idiot will have the dog lose again.

AC here is useless as well. But of course I'll call

Sorry just venting
:rantSwitch:
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 2nd, 2006, 1:20 pm

LOL I tried to edit something and it quoted oops ... hey who stole the edit button

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Romanwild » April 2nd, 2006, 1:40 pm

It's temporarily gone. Sorry. :oops:

I'm with you on the leash law. I want walk on our favorite path with both dogs because of it. It has happened too many times. With one dog I can pick him up and take the bite. With both of them I will have a nightmare on my hands. :o

I'm glad it worked out o.k..

Idiots. :rolleyes2:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 2nd, 2006, 2:24 pm

You're supposed to set the bag of poop on fire, THEN throw it! :wink: Glad it turned out ok. I can't even walk my dogs around here for all of the unleashed dogs.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 2nd, 2006, 3:34 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:You're supposed to set the bag of poop on fire, THEN throw it! :wink: .

:mask:

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby mnp13 » April 2nd, 2006, 5:45 pm

With Cleo, people would yell "Don't worry, she's friendly" from 50 yards away. I'd yell back "That's good, mine isn't"

They usually started moving a little faster to get their dog.

I would not have warned about the spray after the initial 'get your dog' Just blast it, and make sure you are upwind.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmyangels » April 2nd, 2006, 7:38 pm

Thank goodness nothing happened. PEOPLE SUCK!!

People just do not think.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Malli » April 2nd, 2006, 9:09 pm

I've had that before. A little Westy ran over to Oscar as we were on the sidewalk, "oh, he's friendly" my reply? Mine isn't always, as I tried to redirect his head. I only wish he was small enough for me to pick up!

I also have some spray, its "dog repellant spray" but is actually Pepper spray. I've never had to use it but I would in a second.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » April 2nd, 2006, 9:23 pm

I dread the day this happens with Riggs. I can control his actions - he's only 48 pounds, but he is really vocal when he sees other dogs. It wouldn't make the best impression, but I suppose it will get the point across that they should get their dog immediately.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby bahamutt99 » April 3rd, 2006, 2:13 am

We spent the day down on the beach, and I will admit we weren't very strict leashing our dogs. (We were the only people there, and we kept 2 of the 3 dogs there leashed at all times, while letting the 3rd exlore a bit.) But at a park or in a neighborhood with other people, dogs, kids? That's assinine.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby panda » April 3rd, 2006, 2:23 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:You're supposed to set the bag of poop on fire, THEN throw it! :wink: .

:mask:

:chop:
Dead Dog Walking Pit Bull Rescue
http://deaddogwalkingpitbullrescue.org/
panda
Loyally Bully

Postby Insomnia » April 3rd, 2006, 8:02 am

hey...over here, many dog owners don't own a leash. :| many just let their dogs out when they go to work and the dogs walk themselves, they even know where to meet up with other dog that does the same...kind of interesting...

Surprisingly enough though, I don't get too many dogs charging me. But when I go on bike rides with Princess, I sometime get a few dogs following us...the distraction to Princess is very annoying.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SisMorphine » April 3rd, 2006, 8:56 am

Insomnia wrote:hey...over here, many dog owners don't own a leash. :| many just let their dogs out when they go to work and the dogs walk themselves, they even know where to meet up with other dog that does the same...kind of interesting...

That sounds like the town I grew up in. In the morning before work dogs are let out to roam the town. At dinner time they come home and are let in.

Unfortunately this has led to a rogue pack of dogs being formed, heading them is a VERY sickly looking Golden Retriever so had charged us more than once before I moved. He always backed off when he got close enough to Wally, though, since Wally is WAY taller and holds himself up high when other dogs come near. Even still, we changed our walk route after about the third time.

There is no leash law in that town. And yes, there is a state leash law that can be instituted in towns with no leash laws, but there is no ACO and the police refuse to do it saying that it's not their job. Stupid small town politics.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby 04100824 » April 3rd, 2006, 1:59 pm

This has happened with us a few times...it gets on my nerves SOO bad!

Once, when I was wlaking Reno, this guy had 3 other dogs, all on flexi leads. We were walking towards eachother, and his dogs were barking/growling, so course, Reno returned the gesture (he hates dogs in the distance - I'm not sure if he's developed real aggression with other dogs or not yet) Anyway - this guy let all 3 of his dogs free on the flexi lead to come up to us! Nothin happened, Reno froze while the other dogs sniffed him, but still....how dumb can you be?! Of course, it'd probably be decided that it was MY fault if Reno had hurt one of his dogs...

THEN there's this other family that insists on letting their dog walk freely with them whenever they go anywhere. I don't understand. argh! if your dog is so happy to walk near you and is sooo well behaved then why can't ya just put a leash on it? OH! And people's dogs who just run out of the house - that I understand, but freakin' COME GET IT!

Sorry - this is one of my biggest pet peeves. It's just not that big of a request. Can you imagine what poeple would do if these were our dogs running around freely?! They'd freak out while we're strollin' on down the street saying "oh no, really....he's friendly! Just look at that face!" ::insert big toothy pit grin here::

Whatever. :fork:
Confident Young Bully

Postby GreddyGirl » April 3rd, 2006, 2:47 pm

I took Angel for a walk yesterday and there was a couple doing yardwork and their little dog was running all opver the place. I walked Angel about a house a way and they saw us and didnt even call their dog. I ended up having to cross the street :rolleyes2:

People are so ignorant! Im sorry that happened to you.
GreddyGirl
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » April 3rd, 2006, 10:19 pm

:x :evil: I HATE Flexi Leads!

They are the worst invention ever!!

They allow the person at the end of the leash's mind to be put at ease, because their dog is on a leash, only a 20 ft leash!! So the dog can wander off the sidewalk into traffic, or right up to Oscar and I as we decide just how exactly we are going to manuver around a dog with 20 feet of leeway in each direction! We end up stopping, the owner turns around, panicks, and hauls their dog in (or worse, never even notices us).
People panick when they see us right there and its like "well, then mind your surroundings and you'd see whats going on around you"

damn freakin' flexi leads :evil:

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 4th, 2006, 7:13 am

I hate flexy leads too

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Asta » April 4th, 2006, 7:20 am

Yeah offleash dogs are a pain in the butt! The owners of most said dogs are a pain in the butt too!
Guinness and my parents has a dog sporting club next door, and i must say that my initial fears of dogs running left, right and center havent come into realization.
Oh, and we do use a flexilead, and love it :) The problem that can be with those leads are once again owner related.

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby Romanwild » April 4th, 2006, 7:46 am

I have a flexi but I don't reccomend them. You do have to have a brain and they take practice and diligence. Myelfss and frsiend have been burned by the rope!!! Read the warning on the side. AMPUTATION!!!! :o
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Here's Johnny » April 14th, 2006, 5:59 pm

We used to use Flexi Leashes for my dog and my girlfriend's Min Pin because we live in an apartment complex and we thought theywouldl ike the extra couple of feet to run around with. It worked pretty well except that whenever we put them on their regualr 6' leashes they pulled like crazy. So we stopped using them and just use the regular nylon leashes; they walk much better now.
Here's Johnny
Just Whelped

Return to Pit Bull Talk