JuJube has cancer

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby amazincc » July 12th, 2008, 10:20 am

I SO agree w/you that quality is more important than quantity. I'm a pacifist also... but I'm not above whacking someone across the parking lot for being an asshat. >(

Hang in there, and enjoy Jujube and the time you get to spend w/her. :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » July 12th, 2008, 10:43 am

luvypitbulls wrote:"well my dog had a serious form of cancer too and she was worth it to me to save..so we did surgery and chemo on her ...she was heading for Westminster after all ...so I had to try...it gave her two weeks and she died after treatment but it was worth it to me to at least try she was a huge investment"

when your dog is worth nothing but the value of her uteris then you are a sad person. Don't hit her, pity her for being so shallow... well, don't hit her twice the pity can come after the first punch. ;)

KJS wrote:Thanks for sharing your story with us ..and as everyone here knows there is only you who can make those decisions for your dog...we are here to support you in those decisions...not to make them for you...nor to recriminate on the ones you make

There are a lot of things you will get taken to task for, decisions like this are not one of them. It is one thing to not give your dog correct health care because you can't be bothered, it is another thing when you are looking at months or years of pain or low quality of life. Some people decide to "do everything" and they are sucessful, but some are not. There is no black and white answer.

I made the decision to put down a young cat because the alternative was a feeding tube and round the clock care for months, possibly years. I couldn't face that and I was not willing to put him through that. Would it have saved him? In all likelyhood, yes. However, I couldn't imagine keeping an active cat confined for months on end with zero interaction between him and any of the other animals... and though it's extremely hard to admit, delaing with feeding every six hours, every day would have been beyond daunting to the point of near-impossibility; at that time I had a rigid 8 hour work day with 20 minutes travel each way. Other people with cats with the same issue had tubes in for no less than 3 months, one person's cat was on the third year. The most common length of time was about a year.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby DropkickPA » July 14th, 2008, 3:02 pm

I don't fault you for your decision, it's the same one my family made when Amos was diagnosed with cancer (see http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19368 ) For him, with his cancer, the treatment would make what time he had left poor quality. We opted for close observation and treatment for pain if needed, but no cancer treatments as the outcomes were not curative and only life extending by a miniscule amount (a couple extra months).

It's really hard for me to post on the cancer related threads, I still cry whenever I think about Amos, and they all make me think about him.
Dropkick, Dropkid, and Agatha, of course!!
DropkickPA
Confident Young Bully

Postby amazincc » July 14th, 2008, 3:18 pm

DropkickPA wrote:
It's really hard for me to post on the cancer related threads, I still cry whenever I think about Amos, and they all make me think about him.

:sad2: :hug3:

I know for a fact that not everyone agreed w/my decision to go through chemo when Mick was diagnosed w/lymphoma. I respect that.
What's important to understand about PBT though is that, regardless how individuals felt personally, they ALL supported us and not one member ever questioned me about my decision.
I also know that, had I decided to do nothing, I would've had that same support and not one person would've gotten in my face.
It IS all about quality of life and anyone who opts for that is doing right by their dogs... which is more than okay w/me. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby luvypitbulls » July 14th, 2008, 3:54 pm

thanks for all this kind support ..I never thought I would be posting on a board about this but am glad I did ..I would NEVER judge anyone for doing anything to save their dog that is for sure ..or anyone who opts to let them die peacefully ...it had never even been a subject of my thought process ...

even the lady in the store who pissed me off (above) I would not have even thought anything ..not knowing her entire circumstance and sometimes people just do not articulate well anyway ..she could have loved that dog dearly for all I know ..we just started off wrong I think and she was grating on me ...I was in a pissy mood anyway ...

I am feeling sick and sad today...sometimes things in life pile up so badly that even the best attitudes can plummet...(I have other stuff besides JuJu's condition that hast taken its toll so please forgive me) the heat has been hard on sweet JuJube ..she is so tired all the time ...she did play and was giving lots of kisses to Lister this morning ...we did our walk around the yard and played catch a little ...the tumor is all around her neck big thick and hard..I listened to her lungs and there is no wheeze anywhere ..her tummy sounds fine as well....I do not know what this neck tumor is doing to her but my biggest fear is her choking to death! ...she is profusing well her gums are deep pink and she is still eating so well ...

she like her half a beer every evening :) man she must think that she won the lottery ..she used to be a beer thief and got in trouble for sipping from peoples glasses when they were not paying attention...now she gets it poured in her bowl and served...she can have whatever she wants now

and knows it silly thing

the other dogs play so gently with her I just know they have feelings about what is going on even though they are pups they are always trying to snuggle her and kiss on her

ok enough dwelling

thanks again for all the kindness and best wishes ...I am very glad to have found this board
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amazincc » July 14th, 2008, 4:00 pm

Vent, gripe, complain... do whatever you need to do.

God knows I have, ad nauseum... and they still let me in. :wink:

Here's hoping for better times and less stress. :hug3:

And Jujube gets half a beer at night??? I hope my guy doesn't read this and gets ideas. :giggle:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 14th, 2008, 4:50 pm

Life does seem to get overwhelming sometimes, huh? That old saying of "when it rains, it pours" is just so true.

Like Christine said, just know that you can always come here and vent about whatever. :hug3:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby airwalk » July 14th, 2008, 4:53 pm

Hey half a beer can be a good thing...my Charlie (I recently had to PTS him due to very old age) also loved his beer and was a terrible beer thief...he even learned to tip over a can, he couldn't figure out how to drink it from a can, so just tip it over and lap like crazy.

You have the right to have good days and bad and to grip to complain and to celebrate.
airwalk
I live here

Postby hugapitbull » July 14th, 2008, 6:05 pm

Every day will not be bright and shining, particularly when you have stresses piling up. JuJube may just know the heat makes her tired and adjusts accordingly? I'm a big believer that animals know how to take care of themselves for the most part, and trust those who love them to help out when needed. She is a beautiful dog, and being allowed a beer each day, OMG, she must really think she's the special one :wink:

Hang in there, tomorrow will be brighter for you, and if it isn't, well there's folks here about 24/7 willing to help you through.

Good thoughts coming your way.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amazincc » July 14th, 2008, 6:16 pm

hugapitbull wrote: I'm a big believer that animals know how to take care of themselves for the most part, and trust those who love them to help out when needed.

Beautifully put, Shanna. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SisMorphine » July 14th, 2008, 6:40 pm

With the way my vet has been talking there now may be a chance that Wally will not be getting treatment. I hope I can be as strong as you if that ends up being the best road for him. JuJu is lucky to have such a fantastic owner who has only her best interest at heart.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby luvypitbulls » July 15th, 2008, 8:22 am

SisMorphine wrote:With the way my vet has been talking there now may be a chance that Wally will not be getting treatment. I hope I can be as strong as you if that ends up being the best road for him. JuJu is lucky to have such a fantastic owner who has only her best interest at heart.

so is Wally!! many many hugs and lots of energy in your direction ...I dont know if I am strong ...somedays I just forget JuJu is sick and those are the best ones those are the days that instead of panic ..worry and sadness I just enjoy her...I believe we should all have one of those today :)

the worst days are the ones I sit and stare at her wondering if that snoring is her airway at risk ..well ..duh she snores and always has!!! .Is she bleeding inside? ..is she in pain? ..how come she just flopped down like that? ...her eyes look funny....nurses are neurotic as hell and I have been one way too long! ...I make a huge deal out of everything ..honestly JuJube is more interested in what is going on in the moment so she has no time to worry

I declare a moratorium on grief today !!!! Everyone should not feel bad and just enjoy some moments of joy with our babies!!! (this s for me as well as all of you who have grief right now ...after yesterday I really really need one) all we have is time you know ..nothing else ..just time and how we spend it is very important !

what a most wonderful caring bunch ..thank you again
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby luvypitbulls » July 15th, 2008, 8:30 am

airwalk wrote:Hey half a beer can be a good thing...my Charlie (I recently had to PTS him due to very old age) also loved his beer and was a terrible beer thief...he even learned to tip over a can, he couldn't figure out how to drink it from a can, so just tip it over and lap like crazy.

You have the right to have good days and bad and to grip to complain and to celebrate.

LOL JuJu did the same with beer bottles she could tip and lick with out anyone noticing!
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby luvypitbulls » July 24th, 2008, 10:20 am

JuJu has weakened significantly and over the past 24 hours developed stridor ..I had to give her tiny pieces of chicken and an egg last night because she had trouble swallowing ..she loved it and is still eating like crazy ..yesterday she wanted so badly to play with her ball ..so I tossed it a short way one time and she was so tired and wheezy after that I just had to hide it ..she looked at with that sad pit bull face...but I really have to pick and choose how much I can let her do because the stridor worsens and she feels terrible when she over does

I love this dog beyond reason and I want her end to be as peaceful and happy as I would like my end to be ..right now she is snuggled by my legs wagging her tail

I dont think JuJu is quite done for yet not done yet..she still has a little sparkle in her beautiful eyes but they are so tired ...

send me lots of strength please this is not going to be easy ..

I try not to read too much into things but Lister and Phoebe have really been so wonderful!..they are puppies and I would not expect so much ..guess you can call it "insight" ... it is amazing to watch them...they comfort her ..cuddle her and literaly watch over her ..especially when she is sleeping they huddle around her and watch her .....Lister is not happy unless he is touching JuJube ..everyone has slowed down so she will not be overstressed

thanks guys for listening ...this is brutal ...but I still have her and I am still going to love on her and live in the moment ..because moments may be all I have with this most precious being
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 24th, 2008, 10:23 am

Your strength through this is inspiring. You will know when the time comes. We are all here sending good thoughts JuJu's way. :hug3:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby muse » July 24th, 2008, 10:34 am

:hug3:

Cancer sucks! :cuss: Im sorry your all having to deal with this horrible disease.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby Jenn » July 24th, 2008, 10:36 am

:( My heart breaks for you, good thoughts today for you and JuJu. I hope she feels better asap and ya'll are able to enjoy many more days together. That picture is adorable, and if you still have it full sized, send it to the calendar! OR take more, because you have a beautiful bunch!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby luvypitbulls » July 24th, 2008, 10:40 am

thanks you guys ...

this is really hard ..but life is about the moment I know that deeply and if you do not value that moment it will be gone forever

I am not going to hold a death watch on JuJu that is for sure! we are trying to laugh and smile as much as possible ..for all of us! her life was amazing and she is a silly dog by nature .

I want to share and let you know that I appreciate all the kind words and thoughts ..not just here but all over this board ..

I do not know about the calendar? Have I just missed it and it is obvious??

it was mentioned when i posted JuJu and Phoebe together but I never saw it
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby luvypitbulls » July 24th, 2008, 10:49 am

I know this sounds nuts and may wierd some people out ..but honestly I wish we could let her pass at home and I wish they would let me do it for her ...
taking her to the vet is so stressful ..they do not have a come to your home service sadly

I want everything peaceful and happy not stressful and sad

maybe she will just pass here

this "holding on to the joy" part is really hard sometimes I better go outside and walk around or something
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SisMorphine » July 24th, 2008, 11:06 am

I'm so so sorry :( We're all thinking good thoughts here for JuJube and her whole family. She is obviously a VERy special girl who lives with the best people a dog could ask for.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer