Wally Joins the Cancer Club

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby Magnolia618 » July 11th, 2008, 4:26 pm

I am so sorry Alyssa. :(

Sending positive thoughts from me and the doogans!
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » July 12th, 2008, 9:56 am

I'm so sorry, Alyssa. I'm just seeing this...both you and Wally (and Teeny) are in my thoughts and prayers...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby CinderDee » July 13th, 2008, 10:26 pm

How's Wally?
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby SisMorphine » July 13th, 2008, 11:02 pm

Well I was away all weekend long (well, left yesterday morning and just got back less than an hour ago). My dad said that he's taken all of his medicine and is eating a bit more, though still not fantastic. I cried half the way up to Maine because I hated leaving my man when he's not feeling well, but my dad loves him so I know he was very well taken care of while I was away.

He is currently sleeping in my bed and obviously awaiting for me to crawl in next to him soon . . .

Oh yeah, and my vet still hadn't gotten the report from the ultrasound as of Friday before she left, so hopefully she'll be getting it tomorrow or Tuesday so we can start making plans/decisions.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby HappyChick » July 13th, 2008, 11:19 pm

I've been keeping up with Wally's plight for awhile. All I can say is you and Wally are in my thoughts and prayers. Be strong.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » July 13th, 2008, 11:22 pm

Go snuggle that Wally-man...give him some snuggles from me!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » July 14th, 2008, 10:32 am

SisMorphine wrote:
Oh yeah, and my vet still hadn't gotten the report from the ultrasound as of Friday before she left, so hopefully she'll be getting it tomorrow or Tuesday so we can start making plans/decisions.

Doesn't she understand that we're ALL waiting for those results??? >(

Good thoughts for you and Sir Wallace... :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SisMorphine » July 14th, 2008, 2:50 pm

So apparently my vet is on vacation. The other vet called and said it was going to be 3-5k with not a good prognosis for either cancer, which is NOT what the US vet led me to believe.

Ugh I just DON'T know what to do.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby amazincc » July 14th, 2008, 2:56 pm

Crap... the US vet is on vacation? :x

Right now... just hang in there and spoil Wally, spend some real snuggle time w/him, try not to go crazy until you know specifics. :(

I know that's easier said than done, Alyssa... but try, for Wally. :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SisMorphine » July 14th, 2008, 3:01 pm

No my personal vet is on vacaction, so the other vet at the facility is the one who called me.

I just feel like such a zombie. And I have an angry customer coming in who already told Liisa she refuses to pay for the partial groom on her dog because she didn't get more than a bath . . . because she bit one of our staff and he's currently in the ER!!! But SHE is mad at US! She'd better have calmed down by the time she gets here. My emotions are flying all over the place today . . .
SisMorphine

Postby amazincc » July 14th, 2008, 3:07 pm

I don't get it... a total knee replacement is cheaper than taking out a small tumor??? :?

Damn your vet for going on vacation like nothing is happening that demands her undivided attention. :bs:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SisMorphine » July 14th, 2008, 3:12 pm

amazincc wrote:I don't get it... a total knee replacement is cheaper than taking out a small tumor??? :?

I know it makes absolutely no sense to me either. In the slightest. It's a one inch tumor than hasn't metasticized. I'm going to call Angell and speak with the finance department in the morning, and then call Tufts and do the same and see what a general idea of cost would be. I can't believe it would be that much.

Vet techs . . . care to shed any light?
SisMorphine

Postby CinderDee » July 14th, 2008, 3:27 pm

SisMorphine wrote:So apparently my vet is on vacation. The other vet called and said it was going to be 3-5k with not a good prognosis for either cancer, which is NOT what the US vet led me to believe.

Is that a quote for just surgery, or does it include some type of treatment?
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby amazincc » July 14th, 2008, 3:27 pm

Wow... that is GREAT news though, that it hasn't metasticized at least!!! Tell Wally to hang in there just a little bit longer. :neutral:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SisMorphine » July 14th, 2008, 3:31 pm

CinderDee wrote:
SisMorphine wrote:So apparently my vet is on vacation. The other vet called and said it was going to be 3-5k with not a good prognosis for either cancer, which is NOT what the US vet led me to believe.

Is that a quote for just surgery, or does it include some type of treatment?

She only mentioned the surgery . . . but that sounds off to me. She said it's difficult to perform surgery on the intestines, which is why I'd LOVE to hear from any of the techs to see what they know about that (come on ladies, show up ;) ).
SisMorphine

Postby luvypitbulls » July 14th, 2008, 3:35 pm

I am so glad it here the cancer it not metastatic ..what a good sign ..that was about the same cost they offered for treating JuJube (surgery and follow up) but hers was not looking that good I am afraid ..anyway best wishes your way
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amazincc » July 14th, 2008, 3:36 pm

SisMorphine wrote:She only mentioned the surgery . . . but that sounds off to me. She said it's difficult to perform surgery on the intestines, which is why I'd LOVE to hear from any of the techs to see what they know about that (come on ladies, show up ;) ).

Probably not any more difficult than cataract removal/a complete lens transplant on an eye... and that wasn't as much as you were quoted for Wally. :shock:
And I don't live in an area where vet care is cheap either. Getting some quotes from different places sounds like a good idea.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby lellis34 » July 14th, 2008, 3:40 pm

Is this vet in the same practice with yours or at a different facility? Poor Wally. Heck, poor you. Stay strong, take some good walks with him and try to relax this week. As hard as it will be not knowing try to have a good week with him until you can talk to your regular vet.
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby Malli » July 14th, 2008, 3:42 pm

('m not a vet tech, but I'm replying anyway :lookaround:)yeah.... the surgery alone itself is probably $1000 or less here in canada. If Wally were at the hospital, we would need to run blood work (probably more specifically a blood albumin and a PCV, possibly more depending on when his last bloodwork was), and then the vet would have to decide if he needed a blood transfusion, fluids, or if they could go right in for surgery. Most likely they would also want Wally's vitals carefully monitiored for the first 12-24 hrs, wich, where I work, can make for "intensive care"
So, the other vet may be referring to the potential before and aftercare, she may also be giving you a high end because she doesn't know you well and wants you to be prepared for the worst.... :|

What a crappy time to take a vacation >(

Christine, the difference may also be that Mick was overall healthy at the time of his surgery, so would have had a much better and faster recovery, no before surgery care, and not much aftercare either...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » July 14th, 2008, 4:05 pm

Ah... true, Malli... I hadn't considered that. No-one thought it was a good idea to leave Mick at the hospital overnight after his surgery. :oops: :P

We'll just have to do some major cookie baking to get Sir Wallace squared away. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer