UK Why a small dog is more likely to give you a nip than a R

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby cheekymunkee » July 7th, 2008, 11:06 pm

Why a small dog is more likely to give you a nip than a Rottweiler

By Andrew Levy
Last updated at 8:00 PM on 06th July 2008

Think of an aggressive dog and the chances are you'll come up with a snarling rottweiler or doberman.

But the real thugs of the canine world are the smaller breeds, a study suggests.

Dachshunds, nicknamed sausage dogs, topped the list for aggression, with one in five having bitten or tried to bite a stranger. A similar proportion had attacked other dogs and one in 12 had tried to take a chunk out of its owner.

Adorable menace? Reasearchers have put 'sausage dog' dachshunds at the top of the aggressive dog list - one in five have attacked a stranger

Next in the list of 33 breeds was an even smaller dog, the Chihuahua, followed by Jack Russell terriers.

The highest-rated large dog was the Akita, at number four, while the pit bull came sixth. Rottweilers and Rhodesian ridgebacks didn't even make it into the top ten.

Top ten

The study, published in the journal Applied Animal Behaviour Science, was based on interviews with 6,000 dog owners by researchers at the University of Pennsylvania.

One of the researchers, Dr James Serpell, said the findings suggested smaller breeds were more genetically predisposed towards aggressive behaviour. Previous research into the area has generally been based on dog bite statistics.

But bites from larger dogs are more likely to need medical attention and the researchers said this might have skewed results as most attacks were not being reported.

According to their study, the pit bull, rottweiler and Rhodesian ridgeback rated average or below average for hostility towards strangers. Golden retrievers, basset hounds, labradors, Siberian huskies and greyhounds came low on the list for aggression.

Chris Moore, of the Northern Dachshund Association, described the findings as 'rubbish'. He said: 'It is not in the dogs' nature. I have never been bitten in 25 years.'

Pam Bungard, of the British Chihuahua Club, said she had owned 14 and come into contact with hundreds of others over the past quarter of a century.

'I judge the breed and I have never been bitten by one. They are a bit yappy but soon they are sitting on people and jumping all over them. I think people could be confusing excitement with aggression.'

The Rottweiler Club in Britain agreed with the researchers' findings, however. Treasurer Joyce Summers said: 'I have lived with Rottweilers for 40 years and they give nothing but love and affection. I am not surprised Jack Russells are up there near the top. They are yappy little things.'

Canine behaviour consultant Jacquie Bunn said: 'Aggressive behaviour is much more prevalent in small dogs than large and it's something behaviourists and trainers have known for some years.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eiler.html

Jodi Preis
Bless the Bullys
Education...Awareness...Advocacy
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Hoyden » July 8th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Same story, but on WFSB-3 in CT

http://www.wfsb.com/family/16819735/detail.html

Which Breed Of Dog Is Most Aggressive?
Study Finds Dachshund To Be Most Aggressive Breed

POSTED: 11:16 am EDT July 8, 2008
UPDATED: 12:38 pm EDT July 8, 2008

They may not look as threatening as some of the larger canine, but research revealed that the dachshund is the most aggressive breed of dog.

Citing a study published by Applied Animal Behavior Science, the British newspaper The Daily Telegraph reported that one in five dachshunds has bitten or tried to bite strangers, and one in 12 has shown aggression toward its owners.

The study involved researchers from the University of Pennsylvania. About 6,000 dog owners were questioned about their dogs' behavior. Thirty-three breeds were ranked on their aggression.

Ranking below the dachshund was an even smaller dog, the Chihuahua. According to the newspaper, research found that the tiny breed often snaps at most beings it encounters -- including its owners, strangers and other dogs.

The Jack Russell terrier was third, followed by the Akita and the Australian cattle dog. The pit bull was sixth, followed by the beagle, the English springer spaniel, the border collie and the German shepherd.

The Telegraph reported that researchers said previous studies on canine aggression could have been misleading as most bites from smaller dogs were not reported. According to the researchers, bites from larger dogs were more likely to require medical attention than those from smaller dogs.

According to the Telegraph, the Rottweiler, which is widely believed to be an aggressive dog, scored average to below average ratings for its hostility toward strangers.

The newspaper reported that some of the lowest scoring breeds for aggression included the Basset hound, golden retriever, Labradors, Siberian huskies and greyhounds.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby amazincc » July 9th, 2008, 11:27 am

http://www.parentdish.com/2008/07/07/do ... 1200262002

Surprising dogs breeds to be wary of
by Angie Felton Jul 7th 2008 9:00AM

Categories: In the news

When you think of dangerous dog breeds, which animal do you picture: a pit bull or a wiener dog?

According to the results of research published in Applied Animal Behaviour Science, the breed most prone to aggression is the dachshund. New research that involved questioning 6,000 dog owners, found that one in five dachshunds have bitten (or tried to bite) strangers, a similar number have attacked other dogs, and that one in 12 have even snapped at their owners.

Prior research on dog aggression focused solely on dog bite statistics. Using that data, breeds like Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and Dobermans were thought to pose the most danger. Researchers now feel prior studies were not painting a full picture, as most dog bites (especially those of smaller dogs) go unreported and were not included in the past.

Chihuahuas ranked second on the list of aggressive dogs, while Jack Russell Terriers came in third.

Just like with people, it's not fair to stereotype an entire group based on the actions of a few. But it's also good know some small dogs might not be the ideal choice for children.

:)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 9th, 2008, 11:28 am

:goodStuff:
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby katiek0417 » July 9th, 2008, 11:29 am

Finally, a study providing some vindication for the pit bull!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby KJS » July 9th, 2008, 11:33 am

My friend Peggy has a wire haired doxie and he (Max) has been known to go after strangers and family members alike(has caused serious damage when biting after a wart on a face)...and HATES bigger dogs with a vengance like you have never seen....yet loves cats like a brother or a sister :crazy2:
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby SLS61185 » July 10th, 2008, 2:41 am

I just seen this on Yahoo. Hopefully the link works for yall.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/ ... 3&src=news

I find it VERY interesting.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby HappyChick » July 10th, 2008, 10:57 am

I agree! Our little Kraut (mini doxy) is a meany! He only likes me. I don't trust him with my grandkids at all. He's snapped and growled at Bayne (3 yo) several times just for trying to pet him. I believe it is all fear based because Kaiser is so small and knows he could be easily injured.

On the other hand, Vincenzo, is great with Bayne. Vin is patient, sweet, and gentle with Bayne - typical loving PB!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby BullyLady » July 10th, 2008, 11:29 am

This does not surprise me ONE BIT!! In my years as a vet tech I was bit by FIVE different doxies!!!! And they were nasty bloody bites too, not just a little nip. Also got bitten by a chihuahua. Never by any big dogs though!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby call2arms » July 11th, 2008, 7:24 pm

I totally agree too, the muzzles that we wash the most are the smaller ones...
Geat articles, now I want tthe compiled statistics so I can shove them in some people's faces that don't believe me...

Unfortunately, when I tell those same people that small dogs bite more, more often, I still get ''yeah, but pit bulls/rotties/dobies/whatever cause more damage/kill people so they should be euthanized''...
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL