Junk food lawsuits??

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby mnp13 » January 18th, 2006, 6:46 pm

Some idiots in Massachusettes are sueing Kelloggs because they market junk food on TV.

How rediculous can you get???? I've never seen a 3 year old in the grocery store buying chocolate frosted sugar bombs...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » January 18th, 2006, 6:47 pm

Same thing as suing Mickey D's because your ass is too big.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » January 18th, 2006, 11:47 pm

It's the next tobaco type lawsuit.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby JCleve86 » January 19th, 2006, 12:36 am

The only legitamacy to these types of suits is that many of these companies used addictive additives that they don't tell consumers about. They are in such small amounts (enough to be effective) that they don't have to be counted by law in the "ingredients."

They DO market towards kids, which is BS, but parents should be responsible for their grocery purchases. Morons. It's all about making a buck. How much do you want to wager that they will feed their kids the "chocolate sugar bombs" (as Michelle puts it) the day of the damn court date.
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby DemoDick » January 19th, 2006, 11:15 am

I would hesitate to call additives like MSG "addictive". Unhealthy, yes. But the word "addictive" makes me think of crack-whores geeking for a hit. As indulgent as a bag of Doritos may be, I don't see consumers doing burglaries on family member's houses to get junk food money.

Not disagreeing with your principle, just your terminology. Maybe "habit forming" would be a better term.

In any event, suing someone for something that YOU did is ultimately sad.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Maryellen » January 19th, 2006, 11:26 am

i think i am going to sue Little Debby they either put too many or not enough choc chips on their brownies.... they must put the same amount on each as i feel i am getting ripped off....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » January 19th, 2006, 11:34 am

Maryellen wrote:i think i am going to sue Little Debby they either put too many or not enough choc chips on their brownies.... they must put the same amount on each as i feel i am getting ripped off....

When I was little my dad told me those were made just for me. I believed him....... :shock:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pibblegrl » January 19th, 2006, 12:17 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:
Maryellen wrote:i think i am going to sue Little Debby they either put too many or not enough choc chips on their brownies.... they must put the same amount on each as i feel i am getting ripped off....

When I was little my dad told me those were made just for me. I believed him....... :shock:

:screamLaugh: I was born on the 4th of July...and for the longest time I believed that people were shooting off fireworks just for me. Every year. My dad told me so. :D
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » January 19th, 2006, 6:15 pm

When I was little, my dad told me that Cheerios were donut seeds and I should plant them in the garden to grow a donut bush. I planted a LOT of Cheerios! :rofl:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » January 19th, 2006, 6:16 pm

Dad's are so full of crap aren't they? :bigGrin:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » January 19th, 2006, 6:24 pm

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/19/news/co ... tm?cnn=yes

Smokers sue Philip Morris for CT-scans
NY smokers at risk for cancer want cigarette leviathan to pay for annual scans.
January 19, 2006: 3:16 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Marlboro smokers from New York State have sued Philip Morris on Thursday, demanding that the tobacco giant pay for CT-scans to detect early-stage lung cancer, said the law firm that filed the federal suit.

The suit, filed by smokers who are at risk for cancer but have not been diagnosed, does not seek monetary damages from Philip Morris, according to the plaintiff firm Levy Phillips & Konisberg. Instead, the plaintiffs want the company to pay for annual Low Dose Cat Scans, also known as LDCS, which are generally not covered by health insurance.

Mike York, independent spokesman for Philip Morris parent Altria Group Inc. (down $0.55 to $75.41, Research), said he had not seen a copy of the lawsuit, but said the company successfully defended itself against two similar lawsuits in state court, in West Virginia in 2001 and Louisiana in 2004. York said claims were rejected in both these cases, which demanded medical monitoring with CT-scans.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » January 19th, 2006, 6:38 pm

Talk about BEYOND stupid. No one forces people to smoke. The dangers of smoking have been public for at least 20 years. You smoke, you choose to put yourself at risk for dancer and other problems.

That's like me sueing the owner of a dog that bites me while I'm doing decoy work.

If you voluntarily put yourself at risk you should take responsibility for the consequences. Oh, wait, I'm talking about Americans here, aren't I? Heaven forbid we not sue everyone for everything. :rolleyes2:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » January 19th, 2006, 6:39 pm

oh give me a freaking break... the warnings are on every pack of butts, matches, on tv, radio, billboards.... i am a smoker (again) and i know the risks, i would never try to sue the tobacco company.. all that needs to be done is if everyone stopped smoking they would all go out of business.. end of story.... stupid people.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jesseca » January 19th, 2006, 6:54 pm

pibblegrl wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:

:screamLaugh: I was born on the 4th of July...and for the longest time I believed that people were shooting off fireworks just for me. Every year. My dad told me so. :D

My cousin was born on Flag Day and thought for years that people put out their flags just for her. :D Again, I think it was her dad that told her that
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Romanwild » January 20th, 2006, 9:09 am

I love little Debbie. :sad2:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Sue » January 20th, 2006, 9:39 am

Maryellen wrote:oh give me a freaking break... the warnings are on every pack of butts, matches, on tv, radio, billboards.... i am a smoker (again) and i know the risks, i would never try to sue the tobacco company.. all that needs to be done is if everyone stopped smoking they would all go out of business.. end of story.... stupid people.

I agree, I'm a smoker too and it's my own stupid choice. No one is forcing me to do it, I am well aware of the risks. I can't believe the courts would even entertain something so idiotic.
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby Patch O' Pits » January 20th, 2006, 10:22 am

Marinepits wrote:When I was little, my dad told me that Cheerios were donut seeds and I should plant them in the garden to grow a donut bush. I planted a LOT of Cheerios! :rofl:
:screamLaugh:
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby cheekymunkee » January 20th, 2006, 11:06 am

Romanwild wrote:I love little Debbie. :sad2:

Little Debbie loves you too Charles! :)

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Off-Topic