FRIENDSWOOD, Texas Toddler trapped in room during brutal d

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby cheekymunkee » July 7th, 2008, 9:52 pm

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/ ... 45a98.html

Toddler trapped in room during brutal dogfight

05:51 PM CDT on Monday, July 7, 2008

By Michelle Homer / KHOU.com

FRIENDSWOOD, Texas -- A Friendswood baby was rescued from her bloody room Monday morning after a terrifying ordeal involving two fighting dogs.

FRIENDSWOOD POLICE

Angela and Jonathon Newton are charged with child endangerment.

"The parents left the baby by itself, please get somebody over her," said the frantic neighbor who called 911.

When officers arrived at the home in the 400 block of Stoneledge, a woman with a baseball bat was screaming that the baby was trapped inside the house with the dogs.

Officers found blood in the home's kitchen and hallway, then heard a baby crying.

They forced open the door to the baby's room where the dogs were still fighting.
Also online

Audio: 911 call to Friendswood police

One dog was shot with a Taser and the other was hit with bean bag rounds.

An officer was then able to pull the crying 13-month-old from her crib and take her outside.

The toddler had blood on her, but medics later determined she wasn't injured.

Police said there was blood all over the bedroom and one window was smashed by the fighting dogs, believed to be an American bulldog and a French bull mastiff.

One of the dogs died at the scene and the other was taken into custody by animal control.

Two boys, ages 13 and 11, told police that one of the dogs had broken out of its cage and began attacking the other so they ran next door to get help.

The Galveston County District Attorney’s Office filed charges against the baby's parents.

Jonathan M. Newton, 26, and Angela K. Newton, 28, were arrested and charged with endangering a child, a second-degree felony.

Bond for each was set at $10,000.

Police said the couple left the baby alone with the two boys, who are not believed to be related.

Children's Protective Services was also notified and consulted.

The 13-month-old was released to the custody of a relative.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby KJS » July 8th, 2008, 2:42 am

HOLY crap....some people just dont think or even care about thier babies...and it makes me sick seen as some people in this world would give up all they oown just to have a baby and they cant....and then we read this shiny :cuss:
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby pocketpit » July 8th, 2008, 5:00 am

HOLY crap....some people just dont think or even care about thier babies...and it makes me sick seen as some people in this world would give up all they oown just to have a baby and they cant....

While I understand this sentiment and agree whole heartedly, I think that in this instance I'd have to respectfully disagree. There were two older boys at home with the baby and I know that at age 13 (the ages of the oldest child home) I was babysitting multiple children including young ones. It also sounds as though the parents had one dog crated so perhaps they were trying to be responsible. I feel sorry for the parents if that's the case especially since we hear of nothing happening when much more irresponsible people put their children in danger. Not only does this family have to deal with the loss of their dog but with the law as well.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby gayrghts » July 8th, 2008, 6:30 am

I agree.... legally in nys at age 13 you can leave a child home alone, and you can babysit at 13...... we don't know the rest of the story...... they may have been very responsible parents.....
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby KJS » July 8th, 2008, 8:59 am

I have never agreed with any child being alone at home under the age of 16...I will never ever do it...and to mymind theres no way on Gods green earth that 2 boys of 11 and 13 should be left to look after such a small baby...theres just too many distractions in this day and age...and one slip in concentration and all hell breaks loose....its too scary to contemplate

if they even doubted the dogs for a second they should of locked them away while they were out...the old adage states "better safe than sorry"...I think this applies here
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL