Weight pull question... (diet changes for a dog in training)

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ellie@ny » March 31st, 2006, 10:45 pm

Ok my question is when I will start WP with my dogs,what am I have to change in their diet?Do they have to get more or less?Or they need something special,like sp.supplements? :| I really need help with this!Thanx!
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 31st, 2006, 10:56 pm

I moved this so that the 'right' people will find it, and it's an excellent topic.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ellie@ny » March 31st, 2006, 11:05 pm

Opps,sorry Michelle,I wasn't sure where to post this,here or on the work page... :oops: I really want to know what am I have to change in the diet,I don't wanna make a mistake!I can't start till May,but I want to know everything when we start!I know how to train them,but not much about the food!Thanx!
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 31st, 2006, 11:15 pm

It's no problem at all!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 1st, 2006, 9:40 am

When I was doing a ton of agility training I had to up the food a tiny bit. I also gave Apache Glucosimine Chondritin because it is good for joints. Make sure to give them rest periods... even a couple of days off here and there for muscle recovery. Watch the dog for fatigue to prevent imjuries and always do some sort of warm up even if it is a brisk walk before hand

The amount of food you feed really depends on how hard the dog is working and the individual dog's metabolism IMO,
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby bahamutt99 » April 1st, 2006, 6:26 pm

When I'm working Loki, I throw in a midday meal of raw, in addition to her regular 2 cups of kibble. I am usually trying to lean her down for the upcoming event at the same time, so I don't want to counteract the work I'm doing by giving too much extra.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby Romanwild » April 3rd, 2006, 6:15 pm

I would start with a high quality kibble or raw. I use kibble and supplememnt with raw. Like eggs, raw meat, cottage cheese, yogurt, veggies, etc. I will intermittantly use vitamins.

Mostly I would observe. Watch there weight. How they look and how they act (energy level). :D
Romanwild
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health