Training a Dog Off-leash Manners

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby SisMorphine » March 31st, 2006, 2:27 pm

I say get a good "angry sound" that will make him realize he's done something bad. My trainer uses "ack". I use "ah-ah-ah" very harshly. The second Wally hears it he will throw his head down, turn and run towards me smiling. He's never been hit or abused (by me OR his previous kennel owner) he just knows that when he frustrates mom it isn't good.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 31st, 2006, 2:33 pm

Have you clicker trained for attention, and put it on a verbal command?
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby rockermom » March 31st, 2006, 2:37 pm

I am now in a clicker training class but I have not learned how to do that since I started beginner and novice in a leash correction no treat style. When would the proper time to click etc be?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » March 31st, 2006, 2:39 pm

In my class I hear clickers going constantly. I hardly use it. I use it when we are doing shaping behaviors. I just am not sure when to click and when I need to. Are you saying when I say "Watch" and he does I should click?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » March 31st, 2006, 2:41 pm

The SECOND he does the desired behavior you need to click.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby rockermom » March 31st, 2006, 2:46 pm

Im really bad at the clicker thing. Im the one who needs to be trained. Im too spazed to have a leash a click and a treat. But I'll try it all the AAHHHH thing the click the treat. Sometimes I wonder why I do all this. My neighbors all just open the door and ignore their dogs. Hmmm off topic but I just got reminded of someone in the neighborhood whose dog was barking at mine as I was about to walk by she stuck her head out the window and kindly asked me if I could go the other way because her baby(human) was going to wake up. Her dog was the one barking. Stupid me of course I went back the other way. Im a wus. My dog probably knows it.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 31st, 2006, 2:55 pm

I would work at home first. Have some treats, put your hand with the treats under your chin, and the moment he looks at your face, click/treat.

After a few times, move the treat to arms length. He will stare at the treat, but when he glances at you (saying come on already!) click and treat. Anytime you catch him looking at your face, click and treat, or even just tell him he is good and pet him.

After he is doing this consistantly, start saying the name right before you click. He looks, you say 'watch' then click/treat. Do this about 50 times, then try saying watch when he is not looking at you, only mildly distracted. If there is no response, then go back and do it 50 more times.

In class, find a quiet corner. Stand with the leash in one hand, the clicker in the other. DO NOT HOLD THE CLICKER IN YOUR LEASH HAND. Sorry to yell, but if you do this he will pull and you will click on accident! Trust me on this one. Put the treats in your pocket, and a few in your clicker hand. Just wait, don't say anything. When he looks at you, and he will eventually, click, then treat. If your instructor has a tie out on the wall, use that so you have two hands free.

Make sure you vary the amount you are treating him. Once give him one, then 4, then 2, then 8. Count them out one at a time after one click. In other words, click, one cookie, two cookies, three cookies. This will make a difference. If you have a toy, or squeeky, or tug, once in a while whip that out for a reward. Mix it up and become unpredictable in your rewards.

This is a very common problem, I still have it with Tess.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby rockermom » March 31st, 2006, 3:09 pm

oK thanks. One thing though. In the house he has great eye contact. Extremely food motivated. He will look right at you. We got that. Its outside and class that he has a focus problem. What I was not doing outside was letting him see I had a treat ready. I have not worked the long lead outside enough. If fact I've hardly done it. Avoided it. Too cold out. Now its warm so I better get to it.
I know what you mean about the accidental click. Thats a problem, I have clicked for a bad behavior on accident.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 31st, 2006, 3:16 pm

you should be clicking for good behavior. as soon as he sits you should click.. the purpose of clicker training is to shape the behavior, you should be really practicing w/ the clicker so that you can use it..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » March 31st, 2006, 3:18 pm

I know but Im like dopy or something when it comes to the clicker I like always friggin forget. Ok Im heading to the bus I am taking the clicker with me. I will try to be ready to click. Rocky must be onto how disorganized I am.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 31st, 2006, 3:27 pm

didnt sue bounce the tennis ball at the 1st class to get you to click on time?? :hammer:
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 31st, 2006, 3:48 pm

Just a thought (and I'm not slamming clickers) but why use one? Just click with your tongue. then you have nothing to fumble with in your hands, you can't loose it or forget it anywhere.

It's really just marker training. You could say 'hup' or any other one syllable sound instead.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby kymn25 » March 31st, 2006, 3:52 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:I would work at home first. Have some treats, put your hand with the treats under your chin, and the moment he looks at your face, click/treat.

After a few times, move the treat to arms length. He will stare at the treat, but when he glances at you (saying come on already!) click and treat. Anytime you catch him looking at your face, click and treat, or even just tell him he is good and pet him.

After he is doing this consistantly, start saying the name right before you click. He looks, you say 'watch' then click/treat. Do this about 50 times, then try saying watch when he is not looking at you, only mildly distracted. If there is no response, then go back and do it 50 more times.

In class, find a quiet corner. Stand with the leash in one hand, the clicker in the other. DO NOT HOLD THE CLICKER IN YOUR LEASH HAND. Sorry to yell, but if you do this he will pull and you will click on accident! Trust me on this one. Put the treats in your pocket, and a few in your clicker hand. Just wait, don't say anything. When he looks at you, and he will eventually, click, then treat. If your instructor has a tie out on the wall, use that so you have two hands free.

Make sure you vary the amount you are treating him. Once give him one, then 4, then 2, then 8. Count them out one at a time after one click. In other words, click, one cookie, two cookies, three cookies. This will make a difference. If you have a toy, or squeeky, or tug, once in a while whip that out for a reward. Mix it up and become unpredictable in your rewards.

This is a very common problem, I still have it with Tess.

This is great stuff. Thanks for the info.
Pit Bulls know they are THE face of extinction. All that remains is where they make their final stand. Say NO to BSL!

http://www.Ucarerescue.net
kymn25
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby rockermom » March 31st, 2006, 4:50 pm

:| bounce tennis ball for timing? Nope. But remember I did not attend beginner class. So I was not clicker trained. Rocky learned comands because I told him so. no treats just a firm voice other than the high pitch "come".
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » March 31st, 2006, 4:53 pm

mnp13 wrote:Just a thought (and I'm not slamming clickers) but why use one? Just click with your tongue. then you have nothing to fumble with in your hands, you can't loose it or forget it anywhere.

It's really just marker training. You could say 'hup' or any other one syllable sound instead.

For me its not remembering to have the clicker physically with me its remembering to mark the moment in time. Our first 2 obedience classes did not really mark the good behavior. I need to practice more weather I click with a clicker or say YEs or whatever.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 31st, 2006, 4:53 pm

oops thats right, you went to the next one.. sorry.. she bounces a tennis ball and has everyone click at the moment the ball hits the floor to get them used to using a clicker for the first time.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » March 31st, 2006, 5:02 pm

Thats a good one I could have one of my kids bounce the ball while I click.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior