Be Warned of Animal 'Rescue' Groups Looking for Profit

Postby Marinepits » June 21st, 2008, 4:46 pm

http://www.newstimes.com/ci_9638167?IAD ... stimes.com

Be warned of animal 'rescue' groups looking for profit
News-Times Staff
Article Last Updated: 06/19/2008 05:56:07 PM EDT

To the Editor:
We have a number of responsible non-profit Animal Welfare Rescue groups in our area.

They take in the unwanted dogs and cats and get them spayed and neutered.

They interview potential adopters and evaluate the pets in their shelters, trying to match potential adopters with a pet that would fit into the adopter's lifestyle.

The Animal Welfare groups stand by their adoptable pets so if for any reason a pet cannot stay with a family, the group will take the pet back.

They are also there to answer questions and help with training issues.

Any money taken in goes back into the shelter to help future unwanted pets.

Now there is a new type of Animal Rescue group showing up in our area -- profit-making Animal Rescue businesses.

These groups are bringing in hundreds of puppies from states down south, selling them and pocketing the money.

It's so easy to get a puppy from one of these rescue businesses. You simply go on line, pick the cute puppy that you want, the Animal Rescue business brings the puppies up from Southern shelters and meets a group of adopters in a parking lot to pick up their puppies, and you pay $300 or $400 for the pup.

You have no idea of the temperament or even how large or small this new pup will be.

If the puppy doesn't work out, or if you need support or have training questions, there is no one to help you. The parking lot is empty.

Where does the money from these puppies go? Not back into helping the animals. Not into a program down south to stop the overpopulation.

The money goes into the pockets of the people running the Animal Rescue business.

And meanwhile, when some of those puppies don't work out, our legitimate, local, non-profit Animal Welfare Rescue groups are being overrun by adolescent dogs that were originally sold by the profit-making groups.

Rescue groups should not adopt out a pet without making sure the adopter's lifestyle will fit with the new pet. The money made from these pets should go back into saving more pets and stopping the overpopulation of dogs and cats down south.

These Animal Rescue businesses are making money just like a pet store and over burdening our local Animal Rescue group's resources.

Audrey McKay

Audrey is a local ACO and also does Aussie Rescue. She rocks! :rock:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby airwalk » June 21st, 2008, 4:49 pm

Gotta love someone that calls these so called "rescues" bluff.
airwalk
I live here

Postby LMM » June 21st, 2008, 7:34 pm

Gee, sounds so familiar for some reason :rolleyes2:
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » June 21st, 2008, 7:56 pm

ACK! We need Oprqh to do a show about the animal rescue business
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby Marinepits » June 21st, 2008, 8:16 pm

LMM wrote:Gee, sounds so familiar for some reason :rolleyes2:

True, but unfortunately she's not talking about that particular "rescue". We have several other fly-by-night puppy peddlers that call themselves "rescues" and they literally do what she said -- you pick the pup and then they'll bring it up for you and charge you an outrageous sum of money for it.

Sadly, the local dogs in the pounds are being euthanized because the pounds and reputable rescues are full, yet people still give their money to those other so-called "rescues".
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby airwalk » June 21st, 2008, 8:19 pm

Unfortunately, those kind of "rescues" are everywhere. We see pups from Mexico (I know, I know they aren't suppose to do that) ..yeah right!
airwalk
I live here

Postby LMM » June 21st, 2008, 11:21 pm

Oh trust me, I know a certain rescue in upstate NY does not have the market cornered on this disgusting bs :x

It makes me ill.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Malli » June 21st, 2008, 11:23 pm

Wyldmoonwoman wrote:ACK! We need Oprqh to do a show about the animal rescue business

I think we can find someone else. Oprah has a serious Pit Bull vendetta. :cry:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » June 22nd, 2008, 9:42 am

Malli wrote:
Wyldmoonwoman wrote:ACK! We need Oprqh to do a show about the animal rescue business

I think we can find someone else. Oprah has a serious Pit Bull vendetta. :cry:

Not any more...she had Oogy on her show last season and did the show on puppy mills...I think that she is getting the social issues surrounding companion animals and I truly believe after she met Oogy, she understands the pit bull

http://www2.oprah.com/relationships/sli ... ocode=HP14
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby Malli » June 22nd, 2008, 3:44 pm

oh, well, then I am impressed.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Rescue