Skin Problems

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby luvmyangels » March 30th, 2006, 10:55 pm

My older dog Teddy has really bad dry skin. About 5 years ago a groomer recked his coat by using a flea dip on him and burning his whole back end including his luxurious tail. I now have to shave his back end all the time because his hair is horrible. Since then he has had really bad dry skin. I have tried everything including Dermacaps (which the vet once again recommended to me tonight), he is on Timberwolf, Wild Salmon Oil, Raw Eggs, I even gave him Sardines tonight because of the Omega 3 in it. The vet suggested we may want to do a blood work up to see if he has hypo-thyroidism. But told me to use Dermacaps. Any suggestions or advice?
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Marinepits » March 30th, 2006, 11:13 pm

For an older dog, definitely get the thyroid checked. Do you have access to a doggy dermatologist?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby luvmyangels » March 30th, 2006, 11:29 pm

Marinepits wrote:For an older dog, definitely get the thyroid checked. Do you have access to a doggy dermatologist?

Based upon what I told the vet I am not sure why she didn't do blood on him tonite for the thyroid. I have never used a doggy dermatologist before. But I can definitely look around to see if there is one out on the Island.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 10th, 2006, 6:54 pm

Did you get any answers about what is wrong yet?
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Malli » April 10th, 2006, 9:59 pm

apparently not all dog dermatologists are the same?!

So our Vet. says, so look into one that gets lots of good recommendations ;)

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health